PDA

View Full Version : My Tank and stocking options?

bluesox68
06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
So this is my tank. 40g with a 20g sump/fuge I got it in rough shape but its slowley getting better! It has a 175 watt mh that hasnt worked since getting it so only the one attinic and 6600 vho are working. I hope to soon have a good LED light to replace everything. As for stocking I would like lots of colour. I already hace a yellow goby 2 serpant stars, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp and 2 emrald crabs. I want to get.
2 banggai cardinals
red sea mimic blenny
royal gramma
purple fire fish
fire goby
and either a flame angle or 2 clowns
I would like to get a manderin but that would be last on my list and a few years down the road.

What do you guys think? Is that to much of a bioload for my aquasea remora skimmer? I'm open to all comments and sudgestions:biggrin:

bluesox68
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry for the sideways pics:wink:

bluesox68
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
So my bio load should be fine?

daplatapus
06-22-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure about some of your fish in the list. Just thought I'd share my experience with a couple that I own.
I have a yellow watchman goby, he's cool but extremely shy and I eventually had to take him out of the main display and put him into a cube because he was constantly being harassed by a starry blenny. I tried introducing him to a pistol shrimp, but I've never seen them together, but I'm still hoping they'll grow to like one another in the cube.
I've also got a flame angel and clowns. The flame is nice, good colour, very active fish. But she doesn't like my purple fire fish and is constantly chasing it back into the rocks. So I almost NEVER see the fire fish. It's the one fish I don't think I'd purchase again.
I love mandarins, but you're right, wait until you have a great pod population and if possible add a refugium and pod piles in your tank to give them somewhere to live and breed without being wiped out by the mandy.

bluesox68
06-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the response :biggrin: I do think the flame is now off the list. I do have a lot of LR so the swimming space isnt huge for a fish like that imo. I would like to add a pistol shrimp at some point but it could survive on its own if they never paird up right? Also my sand bed goes from 1-3 inches is that enough for the pistol to burrow? I do have a refugium in the sump with cheato but I do wonder if my pump kills the pods on the way back to the tank.

Flash
06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
your list looks fine for a 40gl... replace the flame with 2 nice looking clowns and you've got a good stocking choice! Pistol shrimp will be fine! I have both a Diamond goby and a yellow watchman (in differnt tanks). the diamond has paird with my pistol in my 90gl, but my pistol isn't shy either, he will come out a little at feeding time and grab what comes near him! in my 29gl i have the yellow watchman, and he just sits at the enterence to his hole comes out at feeding time then back into his hole! both really cool choices! Also I had a firefish pair with a pistol 3 years ago... but I added a goby and it took a nice bite out of the firefish and it died... lol! Gobies that clean the sand are also good for your tank! You're good with your sand bed! they make a home where they want it!

bluesox68
06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Awesome! Thanks, Any thoughts about my pods getting diced in my pump:razz:

Flash
06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
i've personally never had an issue with pods... they always seem to be in my tank and sump....you could always quick dip your cheato into your display and dump a bunch in there.. or try and take a cup and put them from your sump in that way....but your fish will likely eat them all if they are not fast enough!