PDA

View Full Version : Amount of skimmate from skimmer

Baldy
06-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Hello all, I have a question.

I have a Tunze DOC 9006 skimmer on my 75g w/ 20g sump. current tank inhabitants are 2 ocellaris clowns (1.5 and 2 inches), 1 blue green chromis (2 in), 1 flame hawk (2.5 in), and a one spot foxface (4-4.5 in) as well as CUC and coral. as far as coral, mostly softies and LPS, zoas, tons of kenya tree, mushrooms, rics, candy cane, hammer, blasos, i think thats everything.

My skimmer seems to not be putting out much skimmate. i get maybe 20ml per week if i clean it twice. it seems to skim good for a coouple days then peters out until the collection cup is cleaned again. I dont have any issues with nitrates though. I just finished a check with a new API test kit, and theyre undetectable.

is the low amount of skimmate due to a low bioload? or should i not be worried about this at all?

Baldy
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
46 views and no replies yet?

reefbyremote
06-11-2012, 06:29 PM
I empty my skimmer when the throat near the top of the skimmer is solid or nearly solid with brown sludge. IMHO the sludge hinders the flow of scum into the skimmer cup and reduces effectiveness.

subman
06-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I have no personal experience with that particular skimmer but I can say whrn the throat of my sond tunze gets to dirty it won't skim at all. If your not getting any nitrates and the tank looks good leave it alone and keep the neck and cup clean.

cale262
06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Hello all, I have a question.

is the low amount of skimmate due to a low bioload? or should i not be worried about this at all?

^this, it would be my guess but I know very little about the Tunze 9006 and even less about the rest of your system to give a better answer.