PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto is dying

gregzz4
06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm askin' this kinda sheepishly as I feel, with all that I have learned here, I should know the answer to this ...
My chaeto is dying ...
My alk has been low for a week or so, but I'm currently bringing it back up due to the addition of some montis
The Alk was 5 ish :redface: and I didn't know

I am assuming my chaeto is dying as there is not enough PO4 for it to live off of ??? and it has nothing to do with the Alk or Ca ?

I've also been told to run my chaeto light 24/7 instead of 12-12
What's your thought on that ?

Thanks for your help ( I think my chaeto is going to die out :sad: )
Greg

wmcinnes
06-09-2012, 12:01 PM
When I first started up my tank, I couldnt keep up with the Cheato growth hauling out a football sized chunk every week, and now recently it has stopped completely and is beginning to die off. I guess its kind of a good thing.. means you have a very low nutrient system! :razz:

Enigma
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I think you need to get your tank stocked . . . If only to save your chaeto. ;)

It is probably starving.

gregzz4
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
So it has nothing to do with the Alk or Ca then ?

I think you need to get your tank stocked . . . If only to save your chaeto. ;)

It is probably starving.
:lol: I'm workin' on it

I plan on putting a couple fishies in the QT very soon

reefy
04-30-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm askin' this kinda sheepishly as I feel, with all that I have learned here, I should know the answer to this ...
My chaeto is dying ...
My alk has been low for a week or so, but I'm currently bringing it back up due to the addition of some montis
The Alk was 5 ish :redface: and I didn't know

I am assuming my chaeto is dying as there is not enough PO4 for it to live off of ??? and it has nothing to do with the Alk or Ca ?

I've also been told to run my chaeto light 24/7 instead of 12-12
What's your thought on that ?

Thanks for your help ( I think my chaeto is going to die out :sad: )
Greg

Hi Greg,
how is your Chaeto? I am assuming that you have an answer by now since it was 3 years ago lol.. well.. my chaeto is turning brown, diatoms are growing on it or it is acting as a filter and detritus from your tank is sticking to it. I just rinsed it off. save 1/4 of it. my Nitrate is undetectable, PO4 is 0, Alk is 11, skimmer cup almost clear... 8 hours of light. so I dont know what am I doing wrong? no nutrient?

gregzz4
05-01-2015, 04:33 AM
I never tried any after that. My tank was too new to support it. Then I decided I didn't want the mess of it getting into the DT.