PDA

View Full Version : What to dose for calcium ,alk ,etc ??

FWC
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm looking for something (preferably local) to keep my calcium ,alkilinity ,and magnesium at proper levels.

Also I would prefer not to use kalkwrasser.

So ,what do you use ??

Also not needing dosing systems are always nice...

Snaz
06-08-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm looking for something (preferably local) to keep my calcium ,alkilinity ,and magnesium at proper levels.

So ,what do you use ??

I am wrestling with this myself. New coral additions mean my weekly water changes are not able to keep up with Alk and calcium.

Currently I am dosing 1/4 teaspoon daily of baking soda to raise my alk. I just bought a calcium test kit yesterday and sure enough my Ca is low at 340ppm. For calcium supplement I am going to use calcium chloride in solution, a Kent product. I'm hoping my weekly water changes will be enough to keep my Mg in check.

Read this as an excellent article on how it all works and how to fix deficiencies:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

NanoCat
06-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I have been using Calcium Chloride(CA) ,Sodium Carbonate(ALK) and a mixture of Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate (MG) with a lot of success with by 14 gallon Biocube.
I use dosing pumps to add the CA and ALK and hand dose the Mag when needed about once per week or two. But you could do them all by hand.

My levels have been very stable with these products. I purchased the starter kit from BRS (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-solution/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-total-package-small-2.html) but I think Red Coral in Calgary sells the chemical powders in bulk so Edmonton probably does as well.

George
06-08-2012, 04:54 PM

So ,what do you use ??

There are a few of pre-mixed commercial 2-part/3-part products. What is your tank size? If your tank is big and fully stock'd with stoney, it may get expensive to use those pre-mixed products.
I am using Randy's 2-part recipe. You can manually dose 2 parts. But a dosing pump is much easy and accurate.
Of course there is the calcium reactor route if you choose to do it.

e46er
06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
My dosing pumps were my fave thing I ever bought for my tank far as equiptment goes

FWC
06-08-2012, 08:33 PM
The tank in question is 33 gallons ,with clams ,LPS and SPS.

I would love to get the dry mixes from BRS ,however shipping is kind of pricey ,so if possible I would like to go cheaper and buy local.

MMAX
06-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Shoot Eli (CaCO3Reef) a pm. He's in C-Town but he's got all the stuff you'll need.

Reef Supplies
06-08-2012, 09:24 PM
2-part + Mag dosing is defiantly the way to go ( I personally prefer Kalk via top-off, but that has it's limitations). Since you are a first time user I discourage the DIY route of mixing your own chems. To many errors to make as a first timer.

I would suggest using Brightwell Reef Code A & B liquid for your Cal/Alk needs and Magnesion for your mag. These are all pre-mixed and ready to dose. You can also use EVS 2-part and maf, they make great products as well. Once you dial it all in and understand the chemistry behind it all, then you could consider DIY chems to save a few bucks.

The MOST important thing to remember is to be as consistent and stable as possible. Don't worry too much about raising your levels, worry more about keeping them steady and balanced. The best method to keep things constant is using a QUALITY dosing pump like GHL. It runs for about $400 vs $200 for a lower end pump. The $200 difference is a very small price to pay for piece of mind.

Shoot me an email if you need any more help http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update

thanks,
Ray

lastlight
06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
It doesn't get any easier than dosing Bulk Reef Supply 2-part. Even with their expensive shipping that option will be far cheaper than dosing pre-mixed chemicals and last you a very long time depending on your tank size. You simply follow the instructions printed right on the containers. Toss a gallon of ro/di water in a jug, measure 2 cups or whatever they tell you and dump it in with a small powerhead for a bit. Place your doser line in the jug and start with a low daily dose and test until you find how much your tank uses a day =)

I do agree about the profilux. I couldn't live without mine. I have a 3 pump model but only use 2. Strangely my mag level never moves.

jagermaier
06-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Another option would be a calcium reactor with a ph controller, once you have it dialed in the only thing you have to maintain is the ph probe for calibration. It made my life a whole lot easier. :biggrin: