PDA

View Full Version : What are the MUST HAVES for equipment?

Coralgurl
06-07-2012, 07:17 PM
What would you absolutely not run your tank without and why? Obviously lights, heaters, skimmers, ato's. I've got a 180 gl dt with an 80 gl sump, I'm looking for info on controllers, reactors (I've got a BRS dual GFO and carbon running), dosers and whatever else you use that improves the quality of your tank and its inhabitants and easier on you.
Thanks

Borderjumper
06-07-2012, 07:29 PM
For me it would be a good auto top off! I use the tunze ones and have been very happy with them.

Jakegr
06-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Anything that makes it easier to maintain!

ATO and auto-doser (Ca and Alk). I use Profilux for both.

Automatic skimmer cleaner.

I also like having an extra tank with fresh saltwater under the stand to make water changes easier.

gregzz4
06-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm using a DA RKE with 3 power bars
Although I was against having all the equipment tied into one system, I'm loving all the automation and the pH probe is a big plus for me

Auto shutoff on the RO drum is piece of mind

My NSW mixing tank is beside the QT for pumping and has a drain tap over the sump. Makes WCs very quick and easy

If you use socks, lots of spares for washing is nice

mseepman
06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I have to say that my controller with the various probes is something I would not want to go on without. I'm not the most consistent tester on my tank and these save my bacon when things start to go astray.

subman
06-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I would say ato followed by a controller then lastly an auto feeder.
Having an ato keeps things stable. The controller is pretty self explanatory, its nice to be able to log in from elsewhere and check on things.
lastly the auto feeder...I set it up when I went on holidays about 2 years ago and haven't went without since. I feel it also keeps the tank more stable by adding the exact amount of food at the same times everyday. My water parameters stabalized and the fish seem healthier. I overfed (just like most people) and this eliminated that.

badAZZlars
06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Ato, dosing pumps, auto feeder. With these I can leave my tank for a week and not worry about it too much.

Coralgurl
06-07-2012, 10:27 PM
This is great info! I have an ato - am amazed at the difference in stability it provides in a day! I do wish I had a bigger tank to hold the water....

Controller - I need to get one - any recommendations?

Auto feeder - I might look into this as well. I feed every night, but there are times I'm home late so the fish don't get fed. I do like feeding the fish though - fun to watch and easy to interact with at the time and I think they recognize its me that feeds them because they don't respond the same to others or at least I think this is so....

I have a float valve for my RO container, just haven't installed it yet....

I'm going to increase my water changes for the next while before buying a doser, everything is low right now. Do you all dose even with frequent changes - I guess this is system dependant on what you have so hard to say...

Easier water changes....I think I'm stuck for now lugging jugs of water from the basement.

subman
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
The only controler Ive ever used is the Profilux and its great no complaints. I still feed my fish but the auto feeder is there to make sure they get the minimum food.

mseepman
06-07-2012, 11:10 PM
That new Vertex is looking pretty sweet and the preliminary pricing isn't too bad (especially compared to Profilux). I have an APEX (that I'm just getting going with) and an RK2 that I've run for a long time. The APEX is pretty straight forward....I'm liking it so far except it broke down already and is off for repair.

Coralgurl
06-07-2012, 11:58 PM
I've heard of the vertex, was supposed to be out a while ago but I don't believe it is yet....how about something that reminds you to plug the ato back in after a water change....:redface:

subman
06-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I think most do actually. I know the profilux does it has a matenience mode that shuts what ever you want off while you do your matenience for a set period of time then re starts it.

Coralgurl
06-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Definitely getting a controller now.

The vertex doesn't look like its getting released until the fall, I don't think I should wait that long....

burgerchow
06-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Good heaters and a good chiller. Using aqua logic titanium drop in chiller with the thermostat control and my tank never fluctuates from 79 degrees, no matter what the ambient temperature is.

lockrookie
06-08-2012, 03:00 AM
spare parts one must have a backup plan if somethng quits so that your not freaking out and purchasing higher cost stuff in a pinch i try to keep a spare return pump spare powerheads and spare lights just in case. in 3 years i have had one of everything break on me mostly from user error. but some from just bad luck. im not saying hae a complete tank ready to go. but essentials are good to have laying around.

Coralgurl
06-08-2012, 03:07 AM
spare parts one must have a backup plan if somethng quits so that your not freaking out and purchasing higher cost stuff in a pinch i try to keep a spare return pump spare powerheads and spare lights just in case. in 3 years i have had one of everything break on me mostly from user error. but some from just bad luck. im not saying hae a complete tank ready to go. but essentials are good to have laying around.

Great advice, I almost fried my return pump in less than 24 hours leaving the ato unplugged....I have no back up plan, but I do have some spare bits already.

Mike-fish
06-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Great advice, I almost fried my return pump in less than 24 hours leaving the ato unplugged....I have no back up plan, but I do have some spare bits already.

and thats why dual external return pumps are wonderful :biggrin: the nice thing to is if they run low on water it doesn't really harm them they just give you the bubble storm telling you its time to top off (we don't trust atos ) sure having 2 pumps running costs more but are well worth the piece of mind

syncro
06-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Controllers: I have a Neptune Apex that I like. I've heard Profilux is better built (and pricier) while compared to the DA Reefkeeper the Apex has more flexible programming options.

wickedfrags
06-08-2012, 12:07 PM
An RO/DI unit. No reef should be without one.

Essentially all other stuff is optional, but certainly nice to have. About 15 years in and I have never owned a controller myself...feel like I would be putting too many eggs in one basket.

doch
06-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Controller for sure... I have the DA RKE and like it a lot... that said, I REALLY WANT THE CEREBRA!!! I'm tempted to sell and get it. If I was you, I'd wait for it. You won't know what you're missing until you have it anyways.

Once you have the controller, redundant heaters. Put 3 on a power bar that way if one fails, which they sometimes do, you'll have 2 back ups. Just check the leds every now and again to make sure that they are all on at the same time.

cwatkins
06-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Definitely a controller is one thing everyone should have.

Everyone has their own preference.

Myself I have a Neptune Apex 'Lite' (minus the ORP port and the variable ports).

Works great!