PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning set up question

Frenchie2
06-07-2012, 06:35 PM
I will be setting up a used 29g bio cube but I bought a new pump for it (submersible). I seem to recall a thread about cleaning new equipment before use to avoid any disaster when putting livestock in when set up is ready. Should I clean this new pump with something before hand - or even the tank (it has been sitting in the crawl space for quite some time). Your input is much appreciated!

Mike-fish
06-07-2012, 08:13 PM
I just clean equipment with water and vinager

Frenchie2
06-07-2012, 09:11 PM
How much vinegar to the water should I use?

Mike-fish
06-07-2012, 11:13 PM
I think about 4:1 water : vinager if I remember right. It doesnt take allot to do the job. Any stubern crud a scotch brite will take care of it. You might need to use a scraper.

daplatapus
06-08-2012, 12:52 AM
I've used a 10:1 bleach solution with a good rinse after and all's been good. I'd imagine vinegar would work just as well too.

Mike-fish
06-08-2012, 01:15 AM
I've used a 10:1 bleach solution with a good rinse after and all's been good. I'd imagine vinegar would work just as well too.

Bleach works as well just you need to make sure there's no residue left over. The nice thing about vinager is that it much safer around the tank or in it and and residue is near harmless to a reef tank

Gizmoh
06-08-2012, 01:22 AM
+1 vinegar and water, and I use a razor blade for anything stubborn.

subman
06-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Yup vinager and water I've never measured how much. Lots of vinager to some water lol just rinse it out well after. For the pump I soak in vinager/water over night or run it over night in the solution.

Enigma
06-08-2012, 02:28 AM
I think about 4:1 water : vinager if I remember right. It doesnt take allot to do the job. Any stubern crud a scotch brite will take care of it. You might need to use a scraper.

That's about the concentration that I use, as well.

syncro
06-08-2012, 04:49 AM
When I'm worried about unexpected organisms/disease/parasites I'll use bleach. Otherwise use vinegar. For new equipment I usually just rinse in tap water.

Bleach: Wear gloves and eye protection - that slimy feeling from bleach is your skin dissolving. Soak in 10:1 or 20:1 bleach to water concentration for 10 minutes. Rinse well with water. Let dry thoroughly. I believe bleach fully evaporates so it should be safe once fully dry. To be safe you can rinse with a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime which will neutralize bleach. Look up blood spill sanitization procedures for more info on using bleach.

Frenchie2
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone - all of your input is much appreciated!