PDA

View Full Version : How Am I Gonna Do This?

Enigma
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm having a hard time developing my plan of attack, and I could really use some advice.

So, I have three fish (Green Chromis) which definitely have worms. I have one Clown that I suspect has Brook (I've lost two already, with symptoms that lead me to suspect Brook): though he isn't displaying any symptoms of it. I have one fish (Signal Goby) that I suspect has internal parasites of some sort: just because I've read that "all" Signal Gobies do.

Nothing is in dire shape. In fact, everything but my smallest Chromis (who is picked on by the Clown and the other two Chromis) look very, very good.

I have purchased Ich-X and PraziPro. The manufacturer's website indicates that they may be used together (despite the warnings on the bottles that indicates neither should be used in conjunction with other medications).

http://uskoi.com/prazipro.htm
http://uskoi.com/ich-x.htm

I am purchasing a used 33 gallon tank. It comes with a Fluval 305 external filter. I have no idea what to do with the filter. I want to use it on the QT/Hospital tank, but I'm not sure what media to put in it for the duration of the treatments.

Also, I think the 33 gallon tank may be a bit big for the Ich-X treatments. I'm going to go through a lot of salt and water, as I'm going to have to change 33% every 24 hours before the daily treatments. I have no idea how long I'm going to have to continue the Ich-X treatment for.

I'm planning on treating all of the fish together, as I figure they've all been exposed to what each is carrying.

Along with PVC pipes, I'm planning on putting a glass casserole dish containing sand in the tank to inject the Goby's food into (this is how he is fed in the display tank).

Should I use a smaller tank? Can I use treated tap water to make the saltwater? Should I use both meds at the same time? How should I set up the Fluval 305? How long should I leave the fish out of the display tank to ensure there are no parasites left in it when I put them back in? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Calgon, take me away!

Nano
06-07-2012, 02:38 PM
well since your treating the tank I wouldn't use any carbon in the filters as most meds say to remove carbon during treatment. when I treat my cichlids (I know its FW but similar plan of attack with some meds) I just run filter floss and biomedia, with frequent water changes.

FishyFishy!
06-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I would personally never medicate a display tank. I would always get a QT and run a HOB filter with floss and bio media only.

What I do is have a HOB filter running on my Display or display sump at all times to keep it cycled. Then when I have a problem, I fill my 30 Gallon QT with tank water in the form of a water change on the display. Then transfer my already cycled HOB filter to my QT tank. Then medicate until they are better.

Once better, I do a water change on the QT, wait another week or two, then put them back in the Display tank after a drip. I then usually dump the media from the HOB filter in the garbage and do a good cleaning/bleach/water bath on the filter unit before placing it back on my Display sump with brand new filter media.

Since starting to do this method I haven't lost a single fish to illness, and actually haven't had an outbreak of anything in a long time (knock on wood).

In answers to your other questions, I think a 10-30 gallon tank is ok. I use a 30 and it works fine. Conditioned tap water should be fine. I use PRIME, it's the best IMO. Leave fish in for at least 2 weeks of treatment. Then another week or more for Quarantein to watch them afterwords. Medicating is not a fun process!

Enigma
06-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks, guys! You've helped a lot.

I'll pick up some filter floss and some biomedia. When I get the filter (probably Saturday), I'll stock it with the floss and media, and get it running on the display sump. How long should I leave it connected? Will a week or two be okay?

When we install the new 40B display tank (in a week or two), and I get all of the corals, inverts, and rock moved into it, I'll move the fish into the QT tank.

Alternatively, I think I could simply opt to treat in the tank the fish are in (a 10 gallon) once I have everything else moved and it is removed from the common water system, and use the seeded Fluval 305 on that. I would lose the sandbed, but it is only a couple of months old. That water changes would be a lot smaller, and I wouldn't need to use the glass casserole for the Goby. I'd just add some PVC pipes for the fish.

I do kind of want to try to save the sandbed in the current display. But, if Brooklynella or the intestinal worms in the other fish could live part of their lifecycle in it, then I'm perfectly happy to lose it.

Having now found an article on Brook, apparently the display should be left devoid of fish for four weeks as a result of Brook.

I'm leaning towards treating for worms and Brook at the same time. The Clown is a really tough little guy (he's been through two tanks moves), but I'm concerned about stressing him too much.

The process is starting to come together for me. I really appreciate the input. :)