PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to cut a softy?

paddyob
06-06-2012, 11:08 PM
I am going to cut a frag or two off my colt coral.

The catch is, it is on a base rock in my display.... and I am not going to remove it.

What's the best way to cut it without causing too much stress to the Colt, or potentially other nearby corals??

Thanks,

Paddy

subman
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM
A new razor blade. Colts are tough I wouldnt worry about it to much.

Coralgurl
06-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Wait till they drop their own frags...:biggrin: Mine wouldn't stop for about a week...everyday a new one floating around...I tossed em, tried selling/giving them away, no takers.

paddyob
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Wait till they drop their own frags...:biggrin: Mine wouldn't stop for about a week...everyday a new one floating around...I tossed em, tried selling/giving them away, no takers.

Colt does not drop. Kenya drops. Colts get big. Most people do not have colt.

Coralgurl
06-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Well that's interesting.....thanks for the info, was sold to me as a colt, hard to distinguish the difference in reference pics.....sorry for the hijack :lol:

paddyob
06-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Well that's interesting.....thanks for the info, was sold to me as a colt, hard to distinguish the difference in reference pics.....sorry for the hijack :lol:

It is tough. Here is a recent thread I posted... I have both corals.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86882

Myka
06-07-2012, 03:39 AM
As long as it isn't too thick, I like to use sharp scissors.

FragIt Dan
06-07-2012, 04:36 AM
I fragged my Colt (and finger leather) using replacement blades for my utility knife... I just slice it down the middle somewhere leaving some foot on both pieces. I frag softies in an external container of tank water as some can release toxins into the tank when fragged. My Kenya's are constantly dropping pieces off so I have never needed to frag them.

paddyob
06-07-2012, 11:58 AM
As long as it isn't too thick, I like to use sharp scissors.

It's very thick.

paddyob
06-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I fragged my Colt (and finger leather) using replacement blades for my utility knife... I just slice it down the middle somewhere leaving some foot on both pieces. I frag softies in an external container of tank water as some can release toxins into the tank when fragged. My Kenya's are constantly dropping pieces off so I have never needed to frag them.

Just to clarify, it's not Kenya.

I have had it over a year.... Not a single dropped branch, hence the need to cut it.

The toxin release is what I'm concerned about.

ScubaSteve
06-07-2012, 01:55 PM
I had huge toadstools that I just cut directly in the tank water. I cut it while I was doing a water change and changing carbon. Never had an issue.

paddyob
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I had huge toadstools that I just cut directly in the tank water. I cut it while I was doing a water change and changing carbon. Never had an issue.

Good plan!

I'm due for a water change this weekend.

Thanks.