PDA

View Full Version : Two Anemones One Fat Clown ?'s

monza
03-25-2004, 10:25 PM
So I did all my homework regarding having two anemones in my tank all the good and the bad. I purchased a pink BTA as my new tank addition. I already had LTA hosting a Blue Stripe Tomato Clown.
I was thinking I could purchase a couple of smaller clowns to become residents in the new BTA, that’s where my lack of homework gets me a failing grade. Through most my research I see it is not very recommended to have different clowns in one tank. Everyone agree/disagree? Any other clown/s I could try?

So now what? The tomato clown already seems real interested in the new BTA however, it is a small BTA compared to the clown. Can I get a mate for it? It's older, I’ve had it for close to three years and it came from another reefers tank so I’d say it is over five+ years old, don’t know if it’s male or female. It is a pretty dominate force in my tank and can’t really see it buddying up to a small tomato clown and if it did it would be more like pedophile fish rape. Should I just leave things as they are now? Any ideas?

Kind of looking for what to expect with one clown two anemones?

Dave

Buccaneer
03-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Hey Dave ... If that clown has been there awhile it is prolly female now so adding another of same species but smaller would likely give you a pair ( and make her real happy :cool: ) ... as to another type of clown to add to the tank just be carefull that the tomato does not beat it up.

EmilyB
03-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Large clowns are probably female.

She will probably try to protect both anemones. There is no reason you can't pair her with a much smaller mate - just be sure to introduce the newcomer safely, perhaps in a critter keeper or such for a while. :biggrin:

EmilyB
03-25-2004, 10:39 PM
hahah - or ditto what Steve said. :lol:

sumpfinfishe
03-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey Dave,
The above advice is great :biggrin:

As for adding different clowns you might have a problem with the Tomato as she's ranked number two next to the Maroon for being the most aggressive in the clown family.

Last year I added a small(tiny) new born perc to my reef that already had a mated pair of skunks. This was no problem as the female skunk didn't even give the new born the time of day as she had a mate already. The only problem was that the perc wanted to hang out with the skunk pair and the male skunk responded with some jealousy, after a few weeks of minor nose pushing they all calmed down. The small perc now hangs out with a same sized green chromis :mrgreen:

Beverly
03-26-2004, 02:15 PM
As for adding different clowns you might have a problem with the Tomato as she's ranked number two next to the Maroon for being the most aggressive in the clown family.

Am considering adding one or a pair of maroon clowns to my 72g bowfront. Current fish, in QT for the the last 2 of 6 weeks, are a male bluse sided fairy wrasse and yellow tail angel (Apolemichthys xanthotis):

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Apolemichthys&speciesname=xanthotis

Have also found a coral beauty from another reefer which will go into the 72g in two weeks. Tank has 80+ lbs LR, lots of tunnels throughout the rockwork, mushrooms, a couple of decent sized xenia (that the yellow tail loved nipping :rolleyes: ).

Would like opinions whether to get a pair of maroons or just one and when to add them in relation to the two angels and fairy wrasse.

TIA.

EmilyB
03-26-2004, 07:43 PM
I mated a large maroon female to a small male. After an initial attempt to add him to "her" tank which resulted in an instant, fin ripping, war, I removed both fish to a smaller tank with a divider. She attacked the divider for most of the first day. When she ignored him, I allowed a closely observed conjugal visit. I had to reseparate them once for a petty squabble, and then they both went back in the tank.

They are hosted by a BTA, and I will add that when said anemone is removed, they do not hang out together at all. When the anemone hits the water they are back in it together before the rock is even set down.
(I sent the rock and anemone to the aiptasia cleaning machine in the other tank)

IMO, maroons have no problem with any of the fish you mentioned Bev.

Here they are:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/maroonsDSC00010_rs.jpg

BMW Rider
03-26-2004, 08:30 PM
I have a large tomato clown in my 75 gallon now. I will be moving all livestock to a new 125 in a few months, but will not have any corals, anemones, etc. right away. If I add another tomato clown then, there would likely be less chance of the big one being aggressive wouldn't there?. The concern I have is, woill they need a host anemone right away, or could that be introduced later on?

EmilyB
03-26-2004, 09:00 PM
BMWRider, that would probably be fine. Just put in the little guy, let him figure out the tank and then add the big gal. :biggrin:

An anemone can, and should, come later when the tank has matured.