PDA

View Full Version : ok Help me make up my mind :)

StirCrazy
10-06-2001, 11:30 AM
ok back to the lighting delema.. I saw a 20K 400watt MH lighting up a tank and man it was nice, but I also like the looks of the PC set ups the question is I am worried about how I would mount a 400Watt bulb for a 33 gal tank.. would I just slap it in the middle so I have low light areas on the sides or center it more to one side? also how high above the water would I have to have it.
another question I have (maby stupid) but would a high light intensity like that inhibit Coralline algae growth? I ask this becaus it seams to grow in lower light intensities nice. and what about muchrooms, soft coarls, and Anemones? (one of the fish I do want is a clown and a anemone for it.)

Steve

Troy F
10-06-2001, 05:53 PM
Hi Steve, I'd go with the MH. It opens up your options way more. I don't think you'll have any trouble putting the bulb in the center of the tank, that is still a lot of light on a small tank. You probably won't get the same coralline growth as you would with lower light but you'll still get it.

I'd add a N.O. actinic to the fray as well. It will give you a nice dim dawn and dusk mode.

If you can set your bulb up in a way that would allow you to raise and lower it from the waters surface. As for the distance of the bulb from the water surface; anywhere from 3" to 12". It is up to you though a happy medium of around six is probably best.

Have fun.

reefburnaby
10-06-2001, 09:26 PM
Hello,

Different types of coraline grow at different light intensities. So, eventually certain types of coraline will grow your tank. Growth rates vary with different kinds of coralline.

As far as your other corals, you can slowly adapt them to the high intensity lights that your tank has. The process takes about 1-6 months. You don't want to photo-shock the coral -- which is what will happen when a coral is quickly moved from a low light level environment to a high light level environment.

- Victor.

christyf5
10-06-2001, 10:30 PM
Hey Victor,
How exactly does one adapt corals to increased light?? I'm going from NO fluorescents (80W on 29G) to MH (1 or 2x250W MH plus 80W NO actinic on 48G)

Thanks
Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PS Hey hows that carnation coral doing??

Troy F
10-06-2001, 11:54 PM
Christy you can either start the corals low in your tank and slowly raise them up or you can raise the light and slowly lower it over a period of time. Another way you could do it would be to put something between the bulb such as acrylic or layers of screen material.

reefburnaby
10-07-2001, 12:40 AM
Hello Christy,

Your carnation...well...it been fun fun fun so far. I have him in a special holding tank so that I can do massive phytoplankton feedings. He wasn't doing to well when I got him though...must have been the long trip between the meeting and your home.

This is one brutal coral.....this is one coral that I would definitely not recommend for newcomers. Get a Colt instead...

- Victor.