PDA

View Full Version : LED on a 30" width

Gizmoh
06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I am totally torn on the lights to use on top of the tank I am planning to build so I am looking for some input! In reading Ai says there Sol is for 30" width "with proper placement of corals", don't like the sounds of this as it sounds like it will be shadowed outside the 2' x 2' "sweet spot". The tank I am planning is going to be 48x30x20. The lights I was going to use are the ATI 10x54w T5, dimmable and GHL ready. I am going with the ProFilux controller as I am a sucker for touch screens but am aware that it is AI ready as well and for the price of the ATI unit I could get 4 Sols or 2 Radions ( this would actually save me money ). My other issue is that I only have a max of about a foot clearance above the tank. Looking for any and all input! Willing to start a debate :p

Thanks in advance

Justin

Aquattro
06-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Since your depth is a bit reduced, you "might" get away with 4 Sols...I would lean towards yes, but if you're wrong, you're buying more lights.

sphelps
06-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Would a configuration like this using 4 sols not work?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/Part1.jpg

Probably be a good starting point at least, and a fifth could be added in the center installed perpendicular to the others if more is needed.

4 sols would be more light than 2 radions for sure. If it's purely spread you're worried about optics can be changed from 40 to 70 and the units can be lifted higher but at the cost of lost intensity.

Aquattro
06-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Would a configuration like this using 4 sols not work?

Probably be a good starting point at least, and a fifth could be added in the center installed perpendicular to the others if more is needed.

4 sols would be more light than 2 radions for sure. If it's purely spread you're worried about optics can be changed from 40 to 70 and the units can be lifted higher but at the cost of lost intensity.

That's my thought as well. I think this would work fine, especially if he went with the 70 optics.

sphelps
06-06-2012, 06:36 PM
For around the same money you could also consider 2 48" Sunbrite F-series LED Fixtures although they are not controllable by profilux, they will cover the tank properly. Plus external controller integration was mentioned to be a future upgrade but probably no guaranty.

mseepman
06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I think the SOL's would give you great coverage and are probably the best overall price.

Bblinks
06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
ATI are proven lights but consider replacement bulbs cost depending on what you want to keep could be as much as every 6-9 month @ 10x30=300 bucks. Thats a lot of cash. AI and Radions will have the same coverage, don't think that 2 Radions will replace 4 AI's, that's just pipe dream, not gonna happen. Since you are just setting up, I think you should wait till more advanced LED technology surfaces before making your final decision. I am really liking the orphek multi-chip led with multiple colors of led and the new vega by AI. BTW did I mention that you wouldn't need to change any bulbs for a while.:twised:

Gizmoh
06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Thank you all very much for the responses. I like what I am seeing. If I was to get 4 Sols and 2x24" mounting rails i could then hang the rails along the width instead of the length and achieve the design that was posted earlier and still be able to adjust them to ensure proper coverage. What sort of clearance do these units need above the heat sink for airflow as I mentioned I only have about a foot and I think 8" is ideal above water level. So with the unit being almost three inches that gives me only an inch of clearance if this is enough I'm off to the races if not, I can fiddle around a little more to get a couple more inches I think.

fishytime
06-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I think four sols would be more than enough on a 20" deep tank.....unless you are planning on putting sps on the bottom of the tank against the front and back glass, than the lower light areas will be beneficial to the "less light thirsty" corals....Im in the same boat as you....my new tanks footprint is 30" x 84".... I flip flopped back and forth between the sols and the radions.....in the end the bling factor of the radions won out and Im gonna try four and pray that that is enough:wink:....I also rationalized that my tank is only 24"d so I didnt need the penetration of the sols and would be better off with the better spread of the radions....I will be doing my aqauscaping mostly down the center of the tank to allow for more swimming space and better flow......I agree that if you go with the sols, get them to order the ones with the 70 degree optics....I would start with three and go from there....

Aquattro
06-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I think four sols would be more than enough on a 20" deep tank....

for depth, yes, but not full coverage. I think to get it even, you'll need 2 front and back each 2 feet of length. With single sols over my "growth area", I still don't have enough back to front to cover the 18 or so inches. Trying to save can be disappointing when you plug the lights in and see that it's not enough. But he can try 3, if not enough, just order the fourth...

Aquattro
06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
What sort of clearance do these units need above the heat sink for airflow as I mentioned I only have about a foot and I think 8" is ideal above water level.

Mine are fitted into my canopy, which gives them about an inch of clearance. I have large holes in the top of the canopy that let heat out, although so far, there's no heat coming out.

badAZZlars
06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
For around the same money you could also consider 2 48" Sunbrite F-series LED Fixtures although they are not controllable by profilux, they will cover the tank properly. Plus external controller integration was mentioned to be a future upgrade but probably no guaranty.

I agree with this post. I'm happy with my fixture and 2 units would easily give you full coverage and the ability to place corals wherever you want.

tang daddy
06-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I have 2 ai sols on a 75g which is 48x18x18, some might say it's enough but I feel the coverage front to back is about 14" so I will wait to see what multichip led is out on the market next year so that I can add 2 more fixtures on.

I think in a year or so multichip led will revolutionize the market as the blend in colours will blend much better being all on one led chip.

Gizmoh
06-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks again to all for the replies! Tang daddy, are you running the 40 or 70 degree optics, I am guessing the 40? The Vegas look very nice, I would love some more info from AI on those ... But that is a waiting game. The sunbrite is an interesting choice but at the price point I just don't know, needing 2 puts me about 400 over 4 Sols... Decisions decisions.

Keep the info flowing! I'm intrigued that I haven't got a single argument in favour of the 10x54w T5. I think for obvious reasons, as blinks points out the replacement cost would be steep, plus evaporation, plus electricity...

And I want to thank fishytime for sending me down this road with his comment in my initial planning thread! Made some excellent points in one sentence!

Gizmoh
06-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Is anyone aware if the ai unit can be half on/off the end of the mounting rail. If so I could get away with a 12" rail, if I go the route.

Aquattro
06-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Is anyone aware if the ai unit can be half on/off the end of the mounting rail. If so I could get away with a 12" rail, if I go the route.

Doubt it, they mount via a small screw on each end.