PDA

View Full Version : Purple Bonzai Acropora?

Snaz
06-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this coral or similar that can offer tips or suggestions? I am considering a purchase but I am new to sps.
Thank you.
Keith

MarkoD
06-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this coral or similar that can offer tips or suggestions? I am considering a purchase but I am new to sps.
Thank you.
Keith

i've got it and it grows like crazy for me. i dont do anything special

daplatapus
06-06-2012, 04:30 AM
I have one in my tank but I've never had great polyp extension on it. I have a feeling I've got it too close to the MH's, but it's not bleaching so I've just left it where it was. It's growing pretty good, it's just I don't see the polyps like I've seen in other people's photo's. If I had to give any advice it would be to pay particular attention to the lighting conditions of it's tank where you're going to purchase it. Depending on what lighting system you're running, you may need to take care to acclimate it properly to your lighting.

Rice Reef
06-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Under good lighting and water parameters it should do well.

Snaz
06-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Thanks all, good advice and will do.
Keith

reefermadness
06-06-2012, 05:12 AM
I've had 3 or more versions of bonsia/tri-colour acros......I find they are medium light lovers.....in relation to a brightly lit SPS tank. Also they dont like being moved around and often take quite a while to colour up and stabilize when moved.

Nano
06-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks for posting this snaz I recently picked up a frag and was wondering about it myself. I'm starting to se som PE today so this is good

ScubaSteve
06-06-2012, 06:25 AM
I grew a colony of it on my sand bed from a skin flap in a matter of months. Grows like a monster.

Derek14
06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
The true Bonsai (Garf) are a slow - medium grower. They are also pretty tough. Try color acro's grow very fast. If you want good polyp extension, dose zeovit phol's Extra and amino acid. The True Bonsai is dark purple through out with green polyps. Just make sure it's a real Bonsai. Check Paul from OC, he should have some.

keep your levels and po4 down and it will do great. For flow, I have my colony about 10" from the MP40.

Proteus
06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I have a garf which has been pretty slow growing but great color. And another purple bonsi that prefers to encrust. Thought it was strange that it would grow like that but it seems to be starting vertical growth.