PDA

View Full Version : Tentative fish stocking list

gregzz4
06-05-2012, 07:54 AM
I consulted 'The Boss' and, after perusing the web some more, me thinks we may have come up with a list of fish we'd like to have

Of course, we plan on eventually having Softies/LPS/SPS
Tank is a 75g with a total of 110g and looks like there will be about 70# of LR.

First on Donna's list was a Flame Angel, but I took that off the table fairly quickly :wink:

I don't know that I want all these fish as I feel it would be too many for the tank, but most only grow to 3", so maybe ...

Keep in mind ...
This is a total, not NOW, stock list. We do plan on taking our time :wink:
And ... this is a tentative list - we would love your input concerning your experiences with these guys

Please give us your thoughts concerning both the individual fishes and the mix we'd like to have :mrgreen:

With only an alphabetical and not introduction sequence ...

1 - Bangaii
2 - Spotted Cardinals I wonder if 2 is enough ?
1 - Chalk Bass Don't know enough about these dudes
1 - Clown TBA Probably a black misbar of some kind
1 - Purple Firefish I've read that they like to be in pairs, but that they fight - thoughts ?
1 - Green Clown Goby Would be added later when we have some corals for it to hang out in - I realize it may upset some corals
1 - Orange/Diamond spotted Goby
1 - Highfin Perchlet (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+20+1917&pcatid=1917) No idea, the wife likes it. Looks like a Hawkfish to me. Don't want any Hawks - thoughts ?
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Whitetail Bristletooth Tang (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130)
1 - Sixline Wrasse

And, of course, Donna eventually wants either a Green or Red Mandarin, so we need to ensure it will fit in with the rest of the tankmates :smile:

Thanks for your thoughts, experiences and whatnot :biggrin:

gregzz4
06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
:doh:
I forgot about the cleaner shrimp I want :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Usually Mandarins don't do well in tanks with a 6 line which is faster and may eat all the food up too quickly (can dart in and grab up the live pods & mysid shrimp). Preferably only buy a Mandarin from someone's tank or one at the LFS that is already eating frozen foods or even pellets. Mine are doing so but most Mandarins have a hard time adapting to captivity & feeding on frzn or pellet foods.

gregzz4
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks Anthony

Someone else has suggested I stay away from a 6 line ...
Any reasons why ?

Sorry, should have been clearer ...

Besides the Mandarin issue ?

tang daddy
06-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Accessors are damn aggressive and killed my bangai, wrasse and a few others. I would go for chalk bass, royal gamma, just to mention a few....

The 4 fish I will never get is a damsel (clowns are the exception),pseudochromis Aka strawberry dottyback, accessors, and six line wrasse.

Go for friendlier fish and a peacefull tank. I even found Midas blennies to be a pain and abit territorial nipping at your arm when you enter the tank.

Bangaii - a pair is always nice, I recently learned that bangaiis can change sex like clown fish. Don't know how much is true and haven't bothered to look it up but a pair is definitely swayt!

Spotted cardinal - if by spotted you mean pajama then 1

Chalk bass - one of my favorite fish, you should only keep one, picked one up from Jl awhile back but my tank is abit aggressive he wasn't a strong eater and perished. I will get another one, the ones at Jl are phat!

Clowns - a black misbar is cool and I love blackys howeva my current favorite is black ice ice baby ;)

Purple firefish - if you buy either get 1 or 3 another favorite, you may want to get a top as these sometimes go nuclear missile out of water.

Green clown goby - cool fish but I like the red wheeler goby betta!

Hi fin perchlet - are cool fish and tend to come out when they're familiar, just to correct you the hi fin is actually in the anthias family.... Just sayin;)

Royal gamma - every reef gotta have wun.

The last 2 hmmm.... no thank to six line not a fan of mean fish, your smaller fish might go ping pong and a tang may out grow your 75 quick, I had a few tangs in the 75g and would never put one in again. If you have to have one a small scopas or purple would be my choice.

Other cool fish to google and ponder: fairy wrasse, flashed wrasse, barnacle blenny, mandarin goby, flame cardinal, tail spot blenny, jawfish.

gregzz4
06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Chris
I don't want to overstock the tank, so it's hard to pick

Bangaiis - i'd like a pair, but there's the total stocking issue, and the fighting issue
Spotted, ya, Pajama, same thing I think, but heard they like to school
Firefish I was concerned about that, I heard the same - either 1 or 3 +
I'll check out the Red Wheeler goby, thanks
I know the Hifin is an Anthia, but I've read they can act like Hawks ...

We need some kind of Wrasse ...

We want a tang that will be happy in our glass box !!!
If we can't have a tang, what other grazer could we have that will keep algae cropped ? Or at least roam around for us to look at ?

Fairy wrasse is too big
Flasher wrasse is an option

Our tank is and always will be covered, so bring on the suggestions :mrgreen:

gregzz4
06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Chris and Anthony have made suggestions to stay away from a six line wrasse, but without real reasons why, besides the mandarin issue ...

So, why ?

jorjef
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Chris and Anthony have made suggestions to stay away from a six line wrasse, but without real reasons why, besides the mandarin issue ...

So, why ?

Why not? buy the damn fish if you want it. I have one and he's a great fish. You realize this thread will only come to the conclusion that there is no 100% consensus on any one fish or the stocking of various fish together. Any advise you get will most likely be "that persons" own personal experience, which could be the exact opposite for the next. You obviously have read to the end of the internet regarding fish, come to the conclusion there is no guarantee of success and now think the magic combination will appear here.....WELL IT WON'T Buy fish you like, put them in the tank, if you find they are a problem get rid of it. Here are some examples of the fish in my tank that may or may not against the norm, depends where you read and that some people might advise against

I have two Fire fish... they are just fine, there is a dominant so what.

I have 5 Chromis and have had for a long time there have been no fights till the death with one survivior

I have a six line and a Melanurus, the Six line stays "in line"

Bottom line, buy what you want, it doesn't sound like you are going blindly into this..... Did I mention you drive me nuts and I see a great future for you as a talk show host!!

Matthew N
06-05-2012, 12:54 PM

So, why ?

The mandarin is a very real issue, please don't buy one in less you can feed it properly. I worked at a lfs years ago and so many of those fish died and are on my conscience...

Also the six-line can be a gamble they can be a model citizen or end up being an absolute terror. If you have a sump or another tank such as a quarantine tank I say go for it and remove him if he starts to misbehave.

FishyFishy!
06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
The mandarin is a very real issue, please don't buy one in less you can feed it properly. I worked at a lfs years ago and so many of those fish died and are on my conscience...

Also the six-line can be a gamble they can be a model citizen or end up being an absolute terror. If you have a sump or another tank such as a quarantine tank I say go for it and remove him if he starts to misbehave.

Agreed with the Mandarin Issue, but honestly I love the six line wrasse. It's always active, and it always picking at the rocks. I have never had a bad one. But every experience will be different. I would personally rather have a six line than a manderin anyways. The manderins are hard to keep in newer tanks, as the food supply is just not there.

ponokareefer
06-05-2012, 02:28 PM
6 line wrasse's can turn into terrors. I had considered getting one but most people that have had them said they turned very aggressive.
Spotted(Pajama) Cardinals do better in pairs. Mine are a breeding pair. They will tolerate more than 2, but don't get along.
Bangaii's are fun in a pair as well. I'm not sure if they get along with other cardinal's though, and you definitely want to make sure you get a pair.
As others have pointed out, I would avoid a mandarin unless you are going to feed it their specific food.
For firefish, I've always read that you either get a pair that is already paired up, or stick with one. You're tank is covered so you are good that way.
The rest of your list looks good. A fairy or flasher wrasse will do fine with your current selection. There a tonne to choose from as well.

Proteus
06-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Accessors are damn aggressive

I have a yellow assesor which has never shown aggression.
As for clown gobie. I had one that destroyed some Sps. Never again will I chance one

reefwars
06-05-2012, 03:15 PM

So, why ?

six lines are one of the most territoriual wrasses

i have one full grown and it will instantly kill any fish that enters the tank thats smaller then him....like literally seconds......an expensive lesson for me:(

they are alot harder on your pod population then dragonettes, so with a six line in the tank a mandarin is already on the losing side.

six lines do not do well for pest control they get to use to prepared foods and have a huge taste for pods mostly.

they are also hard to catch i have to go fishing for mine as i still dont know where he sleeps.

ill never have one in a tank agaon their colours are beautiful but ive had a few sixlines over the years and they all were territorial but this is the first ive had to adult size and they just get meaner.

my tank is a 90g with lots of liverock and i believe in their adult stage they need more territory.

that said there are species of fish the six line doesnt bother like dragoneets,pipefish etc.

goodluck man wouldnt be me with all the pretty safe wrasses available:P

oh and you would be fine with a smaller tang like the tommini or kole tang or if you got a regular tang as a juvie then swapped him once hes larger:)

cheers

strickrick
06-05-2012, 06:49 PM
If you really want a sixline but don't want to chance the aggression issue (hit and miss with every fish), try a cryptic sixline wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia). Very cool, non-aggressive and a perfect addition to either a small or large reef tank!!!

Madmak
06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
My six line is one of my favorites, always active, and mine is quite neutral. He was my first fish I believe.

A Kole tang is a nice small tang as well, typically friendly, and a great algae grazer (they have slightly bigger lips than most tangs). Mine is a real goof-ball.

A stocking list is tough. I have far too many fish at times, but re-home some when needed and adopt others when needed. With this theory I'm not near as concerned with compatibility as I can make changes after observing each individual fish rather than trust the stereotypes.

gregzz4
06-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Excellent info everyone ... thanks much

Sure I realise every fish is different, but the reason for this post was to get info on things I hadn't thought about or learned. The six line eating pods is a prime example so this post has already helped me

Looks like I've talked the wife into a flasher instead of the six line

I like Kole tangs - good option. Donna hadn't picked one as the pic I showed her maybe doesn't do them justice

A mandarin would definately only be added way down the road, and only if I see enough food for it and would supplement. Maybe I'll be able to find the wife something as a substitute

Reef Pilot
06-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a Kole tang in one of my tanks. He is a real workhorse, grazing rocks, glass, everything, including occasionally my Lawnmower Blenny's back, who doesn't seem to mind and just sits there. Eats any kind of food, and doesn't have a mean bone in him towards other fish.

Delphinus
06-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Sixline wrasses start off being model citizens as juveniles. As they age they get ornery, grumpy, and territorial. You wouldn't believe the amount of damage they can inflict if they feel like it. You may think this be true of all fishes and maybe it is but it's very much a question of "when" a sixline will turn rather than "if." You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen "oh, but not MY sixline, it must be an individual thing" but the problem is they do almost always start off as sweethearts and end up as complete terrors. I lost several fish to my sixline - all of a sudden he'd decide he didn't like them anymore and poof I'd find the poor things without any fins left and left to die, unable to swim or move and stuck on the sandbed. I ended hating mine because of this and was not sorry when he died. With that said he was one of the longer lived fish I had and lived for close to ten years so it was a lonnnnng time I had to wait it out (oh yeah did I mention he was impossible to catch too?). I'll *never* try another and would caution against anyone trying one unless they plan on it being with reasonably assertive fish who can defend themselves against that kind of attack. Unfortunately, like with the case with most bullies, the only defense is actually more of an offensive return attack. I.e., there is no "live and let live" - they have to prove "I'm capable of killing you back if you don't leave me alone". He would viciously attack any new fish I'd get and it would only stop once they attacked back and did serious damage. It's so awesome seeing injured fish in your tank (not). Did I mention I grew to totally hate mine? Classic textbook bully.

reefwars
06-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Sixline wrasses start off being model citizens as juveniles. As they age they get ornery, grumpy, and territorial. You wouldn't believe the amount of damage they can inflict if they feel like it. You may think this be true of all fishes and maybe it is but it's very much a question of "when" a sixline will turn rather than "if." You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen "oh, but not MY sixline, it must be an individual thing" but the problem is they do almost always start off as sweethearts and end up as complete terrors. I lost several fish to my sixline - all of a sudden he'd decide he didn't like them anymore and poof I'd find the poor things without any fins left and left to die, unable to swim or move and stuck on the sandbed. I ended hating mine because of this and was not sorry when he died. With that said he was one of the longer lived fish I had and lived for close to ten years so it was a lonnnnng time I had to wait it out (oh yeah did I mention he was impossible to catch too?). I'll *never* try another and would caution against anyone trying one unless they plan on it being with reasonably assertive fish who can defend themselves against that kind of attack. Unfortunately, like with the case with most bullies, the only defense is actually more of an offensive return attack. I.e., there is no "live and let live" - they have to prove "I'm capable of killing you back if you don't leave me alone". He would viciously attack any new fish I'd get and it would only stop once they attacked back and did serious damage. It's so awesome seeing injured fish in your tank (not). Did I mention I grew to totally hate mine? Classic textbook bully.

describes mine to a tee:) and you said it impossible to catch

gregzz4
06-06-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm hearing more of this now - thanks Tony ( and Denny )
I've substituted a Carpenter's flasher, but will look at all the flashers first
Good thing the wife likes them :wink:
Plus that Canary Tony has is nice

vanreefer
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM

So, why ?

Don't know if I got a nasty one but could easily attribute $300-$500 worth of bullied and killed fish to that little bugger especially more peaceful fish like some of those on ur list

tang daddy
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Greg with your fish stock the six line is not recommended for reasons stated above, fairy wrasses are way smaller than tangs and you could add 3 fairy wrasses to one tang, a guy that stopped by had a 5" hippo in his 3' tank, I don't judge people.... If you get a tang get a small one.

Too bad you missed the sale on firefish as they were cheap!

PurpleMonkey
06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Consider a bicolour blenny? Great personality and helps with algae.

Proteus
06-06-2012, 07:03 PM
+1 on blenny. I love mine

fishytime
06-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a yellow assesor which has never shown aggression.

+1....Ive had three assessors now and not one has even been the least bit aggressive....

as long as you are looking at alternatives wrasses to the sixline, look at the halichoeres family of wrasses.....beautiful group of fishes that have the added bonus of being great for pest control (flatworms/ pyramid snails)....I have a melanarus (Hovens) and love him.....

one thing to note about the cardinals......these are great community fish, very pretty and reef safe, but they are not a fish that will be all over your tank swimming around....they tend to find a cave or overhang and just chill....Ive had a few people want to bring theirs back to the store because they thought that they would be more active.....

gregzz4
06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
There won't be any tang police coming to our house :wink:
As for the assessors, don't think we'll be getting. For color a canary and a gramma will do nicely
I like the look of the firefish, but I don't want any more sedentary fish
And, ya, I know cardinals can be boring, but I have to let the wife decide on some of the critters and she likes the look of the pajamas
I like the look of the bicolor but am looking for a blenny with a more docile disposition
With the addition of wrasses, we may not get a blenny anyway
So, here's our new list

1 - Bangaii
2 - Pajama
1 - Black clown
1 - Orange spotted goby
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Highfin perchlet *
1 - Canary wrasse
1 - Carpenter's flasher wrasse
1 - Cleaner shrimp
And one of either;
Whitetail bristletooth tang or
Gold eye Kole tang

* I'm thinking once we have the flasher she may agree that we don't need the perchlet

Once we start stocking I'm sure there will be a change or 2