PDA

View Full Version : Need something to eat soft coral!

Blue World Aquariums
06-05-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm getting to the end of my rope with this stuff!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KQgBvV9fNWU/T81v3SHklmI/AAAAAAAACGc/1-qCw2pA4y4/s800/photo.JPG

This rock used to be a huge colony of dragon eye zoas. This stuff is ugly, very difficult to remove manually, is capable of overgrowing other corals, and drops polyps to spread to other areas of the tank.

In this tank we have a school of 5 Klein's Butterflyfish and 4 Bluefin Damsels (Paraglyphidodon melas)...both of which are supposed to eat soft corals. Unfortunately they don't touch the stuff.

Any ideas?

Madmak
06-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Have you tried hydrogen peroxide, the 30% stuff?

I have been using it on nuisance algae and aiptasia and saw a few coral control posts on the web. Once it oxidizes what it hits it is pure water so is inert in seconds. It may work well on a soft coral like that.

I use a Kent feeder and it works great.

windcoast reefs
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree with the hydrogen peroxide. It got rid of a ton of mushrooms that we're taking over some rocks.

kien
06-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm getting to the end of my rope with this stuff!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KQgBvV9fNWU/T81v3SHklmI/AAAAAAAACGc/1-qCw2pA4y4/s800/photo.JPG

This rock used to be a huge colony of dragon eye zoas. This stuff is ugly, very difficult to remove manually, is capable of overgrowing other corals, and drops polyps to spread to other areas of the tank.

In this tank we have a school of 5 Klein's Butterflyfish and 4 Bluefin Damsels (Paraglyphidodon melas)...both of which are supposed to eat soft corals. Unfortunately they don't touch the stuff.

Any ideas?

I've been battling this nasty stuff for the better part of a year! have had to take out entire chunks of rock and dry it out. have also had to resort to epoxy to smother the SOB. It has been a slow and expensive process. I'm going to have to look into this peroxide business.

Madmak
06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
I've been battling this nasty stuff for the better part of a year! have had to take out entire chunks of rock and dry it out. have also had to resort to epoxy to smother the SOB. It has been a slow and expensive process. I'm going to have to look into this peroxide business.

Did you give the peroxide a shot? It doesn't always get it the first time but should eventually, I'm curious.

albert_dao
06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Sonic toothbrush. For serious.

smokinreefer
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Have you tried hydrogen peroxide, the 30% stuff?

Once it oxidizes what it hits it is pure water so is inert in seconds.

nice bit of knowledge to have.
i'm gonna try that on some aiptasia that have started popping up.
thanks for the tip!

FishyFishy!
06-12-2012, 07:40 PM
That stuff would be nice and pretty in a FOWLR. But a nuessance in a reef tank i'm sure.

Madmak
06-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Sonic toothbrush. For serious.

I bet this would work, and I have one too. Maybe I'll try my wife's first ;)