PDA

View Full Version : Open salt bucket storage comments ?

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 07:18 AM
I can't really find any hard and fast rules, either here or google, about what causes buckets of salt to harden, only stories about it happening
I've been using bags and, before I open my first bucket, what should I be aware of ?
Of course, besides introducing water with a measuring cup, keeping the lid on tight, and storing in a cool location

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
I know it's late but I had to get busy
So, when everyone is awake and reading ...

I had to open the bucket before I thought I would ( thought I had enough left in a bag )

I know that pouring salt causes moisture/salt to build up on whatever measuring container is used, so ...
I used a clean, dry measuring cup to scoop the salt from the bucket and poured it into another cup. Then I poured it into the water

For now, I placed a garbage bag inside the bucket to cover the top layer ( :question: ) and I put the lid back on tight

Beyond this, what are the tips please to keep the bucket from turning into a rock ?

I estimate it will take me 4 months to use a 160g bucket with 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly changes
In one year, 3 x 39.95 vs 13 x 14.95 is a $75 difference, so I'd appreciate your help to keep buckets dry :mrgreen:

jorjef
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Keep the lid on tight, end of story.

Cal_stir
06-03-2012, 01:40 PM

+1, salt has an affinity with water, it will draw moisture to itself like a magnet, some of the largest refrigeration systems on the planet work on this principle, absorption.

paddyob
06-03-2012, 02:04 PM

+1.

I have never had a bucket harden.

Dr_Hicks
06-03-2012, 02:15 PM
+1.

I have never had a bucket harden.

Yahtzee :-)

Also never had a problem with salt going hard, keep the lid on tight mate.

Snufflupagus
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
+1 keep the lid on tight.
I had a bucket go hard on me when I was first starting out, but you can still use the salt from the hard bucket, you just need to chip the salt out with a knife first.

Aquattro
06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh, and keep the lid on. Done.

don.ald
06-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh, and keep the lid on. Done.

LOL. I have extra lids if anyone needs one:lol:

Aquattro
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
LOL. I have extra lids if anyone needs one:lol:

Maybe double lidding is the way to go. :)

I've left buckets lying around forever, never had any harden up.

jorjef
06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I think we should have a new word that the reef community can call their own.. "doublelidding" The practice used to MAKE SURE your salt won't go hard. This replaces the seldom used "baggonit" process in which a garbage bag was put in the bucket...

PurpleMonkey
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
I've had my bucket open about a year. I just use a different measuring cup and always close the lid up tight when I'm done. Salt is still loose.

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 08:52 PM
OK then, I guess all those horror stories I've read are from user error :lol:

Thanks all, I feel better

steve fedyk
06-04-2012, 03:02 AM
I buy all my salt on boxing week so, I just stack them up to keep the lid closed tight. The top one has gotten solid before but, I just roll it a round on the floor to break up the salt. The pieces that are left I break up by hand.