PDA

View Full Version : Evil Pyramid Butterfly fishes

Snappy
06-03-2012, 12:59 AM
I have to figure out a way to catch my pyramid butterflies ASAP. I used to think these things were reef safe but I guess their appetites can change when they mature and now that they have been in the tank for 3.5 years they've turned into little monsters! They are starting to cost me a fortune in LPS, zoas & clams. :twised: In the past 3 weeks or so they have killed/eaten my bleeding apple scoly, pink tip elegance & Blue tip elegance colonies, countless zoas, wellsophyllia, 2 varieties of frogspawn colonies, 2x clams -a crocea & squamosa & my Aussie nuclear green prized hammer. There is probably more but that is all I can think of right now. I want to kill the little jerks! It looks like I'll need to invest in a fish trap.
Any other ideas?

The Grizz
06-03-2012, 01:22 AM
If I had the time I would come help you with my fishing rod :lol: they would go great in my FOWLR :biggrin:

chandigz
06-03-2012, 02:09 AM
Ya my buddy ran into the same problem with his frogspawn, hammer, and torch. It never bothered them but once it got a taste for them that it was all over.

reefwars
06-03-2012, 02:11 AM
I have to figure out a way to catch my pyramid butterflies ASAP. I used to think these things were reef safe but I guess their appetites can change when they mature and now that they have been in the tank for 3.5 years they've turned into little monsters! They are starting to cost me a fortune in LPS, zoas & clams. :twised: In the past 3 weeks or so they have killed/eaten my bleeding apple scoly, pink tip elegance & Blue tip elegance colonies, countless zoas, wellsophyllia, 2 varieties of frogspawn colonies, 2x clams -a crocea & squamosa & my Aussie nuclear green prized hammer. There is probably more but that is all I can think of right now. I want to kill the little jerks! It looks like I'll need to invest in a fish trap.
Any other ideas?

drain the tank down, if they did that to me they would be gone by now , that totally sucks dude those are some nice pieces:(

Borderjumper
06-03-2012, 03:22 AM
drain the tank down, if they did that to me they would be gone by now , that totally sucks dude those are some nice pieces:(

Omg not the green hammer!!! I say spear the little shlts!

chandigz
06-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Omg not the green hammer!!! I say spear the little shlts!
My thoughts exactly homemade mini spear gun(hawaiian sling). Then some pyramid sushi. See how they like being eaten.

jagermaier
06-03-2012, 05:00 AM
I had the same problem, I had to dismantle all my rockwork to get the bastards out of there...until I got them out I covered my frogspawn and hammer with eggcrate.

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Barbless fishing looks to be fairly easy

Enigma
06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Barbless fishing looks to be fairly easy

Hmmm. I'd leave the barbs on in this case. They could be crafty buggers who learn quick (like Golden Trout). It would be too easy to lose 'em without barbs, and once hooked they may not fall for it again. Too much at stake.

This begs the question . . . Could I whip up a jigging fly that looks like a frogspawn? That was rhetorical. I do tie up some evil shark flies. :D

Geeze, Snappy. This really sucks.