PDA

View Full Version : Son of a ****** wtf is eating my zoas

canadianbudz604
06-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Had the zoas in my tank for along time, yesterday they were super healthy. Test all params everything is good, woke up this morning, and 12 out of 16 heads on my gold zoas are gone. But totally gone, nothing left of them at all. What is eating these damn things? I dipped all corals when i got them and havent seen anything at all. **** me off

badfish!
06-02-2012, 06:39 PM
What kinds of fish do you have? I have a rabbit fish, and he one day just decided he liked eating zoas and within 24 hours all the zoas in my tank were gone. I recently added a bta and there was a zoa stuck to its foot an as soon as my hand was out of the tank the rabbit was right there munching on the lone zoa.

Nano
06-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I've watched a few videos as of late, of amphipods cleaning entire colonies over night. Nit sure why they do it. Perhaps they smell some decay around the zoos and figure thats the cause.

canadianbudz604
06-02-2012, 06:51 PM
i have 2 clowns they dont even look at the zoas.... i have caught glipses of a big hairy white crab, but havent seen him in a while... also, i have seen pods cruising around the zoas... and there is thousands of them in my tank. if more get eaten i dont know what to do

Nano
06-02-2012, 06:54 PM
How bigs the tank? May have to look into a fish for pest control.

MMAX
06-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Possibly hermits. I just noticed today 2 freshly cut orange zoas laying on the sandbed. Easy to frag that way I guess.

chandigz
06-03-2012, 01:29 AM
My guess would be the big hairy crab.

04V10
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I just picked up a wrasse to handle my pod situation. I've got some big buggers that have taken out a colony of around 15 heads of dragon eyes, and my sunburst colony is now taking a hit. Just picked up the wrasse yesterday so we will see what happens.

FWC
06-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I think pods are an option as well.

I had a zoa die ,and the pods flocked over and ate it ,and then they ate a few of the healthy ones around it after they finished. I think they got a bit caught up in the feeding frenzy.

canadianbudz604
06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I stayed up late last night looking in the tank and found a small snail maybe the size of my pinky nail cruising around he has a white and black checkered pointy shell too small to be a helicus and I searched for hours on the internet looking for something that matches him and found nothing even close. He's got a sucker tube like mouth. He was cruising around the zoas so I tryed to stab him with the turkey baster but he got away. Anyone know what he is? Very hard to get a pic

Nano
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
sundial maybe?
http://www.coralrx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18&Itemid=16
http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_info.php?articles_id=51

canadianbudz604
06-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Nope, doesn't look like a sundial. The shell is identical in shape to a bumblebee snail

daniella3d
06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
zoanthids are notorious for doing this without any reason. They can do it if the alkalinity swing too much, the ORP swing too much, etc...

I once put Kent "iron and magnaneese" in my tank with the recommanded dosage and some of my zoanthids instantly shriveled and they died in a day or two after that.

So no more dosing for me, except by the drop to make sure things are in normal quantity.

I dose vitamine C for many months now and it does help to reduce those melting episode.

Snaz
06-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Checkered shell sure does sound like a sundial snail and they do eat zoanthids.
http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0705/sundial_tattoo.jpg

tang daddy
06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Could possibly be a eucinid worm, never saw it until I ripped down the tank but he ate Zoas and rics.

canadianbudz604
06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Its definatly not a sundial because it looks nothing like that, and the zoas didn't shrivel it was in 2-3 hours they dissapeared. The snail has a similar pattern to the sundial shell but looks like a bumblebee snail. I'm starting to think it was the pods though because they have been bugging my peanut butter zoas as well. Tonight ill snap a pic of the snail and see if someone can I d it. If I can find it.

04V10
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Looks like my wrasse has either gotten them under control, or they are scared as crap to come out..lol The radioactive dragon eyes are actually open as of yesterday, and that was just one day!!!

Flash
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
i bet you have a decorator crab! lmao! i had 20 heads of beautiful magicians! went to bed, woke up.. all but 3 gone.. two days later an hour after lights out with just my moons on my decorator crab came out and yup... he was wearing my beautiful palys... still is a month later!