PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe crab

subman
06-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Anyone have any experience with a horseshoe crab in a reef tank?

monocus
06-02-2012, 04:08 PM
i don't think they would be suitable as they need a large sand area

mike31154
06-02-2012, 04:21 PM
A few years ago I aquired one with a second used tank I purchased. He was in my 77 for close to 2 years. At the time I wouldn't say my 77 was a full reef tank, but I did have a few soft corals. From the research I did when I had him, they're native to a cooler area of the ocean, i.e. not tropical. This guy seemed to do ok though, great at sifting the sand. From time to time he would surface and go on a 'float about'. They don't swim worth beans, so once he hit the flow my VorTechs created, he got tossed around pretty good. Occasionally he'd land in my BTA, get stung, curl up stunned for a few minutes & then continue his floating activities. He finally expired after almost 2 years.

I don't think they would touch corals since they spend most of their time burrowed in the sand. They are ugly & not sure of long term survival in the warm water of a reef. I kept him since he came with the used tank I purchased, but wouldn't go out & buy another to replace the dude.

subman
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Its not something I would buy from a store but someone has on in a 60 and is looking to get rid of it. I was thinking my 225 would be more acceptable size, but probably something that should stay in the ocean.

mike31154
06-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Well if the person with the 60 wishes to ditch the critter, he'd be better off in your system. The current owner should be able to tell you more about the animal as well. They're easy to catch so if you change your mind you won't have to tear your tank apart to get him back out.

Dr_Hicks
06-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I had kept one in a 125 for about 6 years until the little critter finally have up the ghost, was interesting to watch; pretty sure it was around $10 or so at the LFS.

Mike-fish
06-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Big Al's had them in a while ago. They also had some very large ones in the shark tank for a while they did quite the number on the acrylic

chandigz
06-03-2012, 12:42 AM
My old roommate had a dried skeleton that was at least 18" long. main body was about 8" around.

Snappy
06-03-2012, 01:02 AM
My old roommate had a dried skeleton that was at least 18" long. main body was about 8" around.
Yes they can get really big. They are very cool looking but I would not put one in my reef unless I had 2-3K gallons with lots of open space.