PDA

View Full Version : Any ID on these critters ?

gregzz4
06-02-2012, 03:32 AM
I have searched the web for umpteen hours ....

Flowers and Green Whiskers showed up about a week after adding the LR to the tank. It was cured for 3 months in the dark, but I understand how things can lay dormant forever ....
It's been maybe 3 weeks and they aren't spreading too fast, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with :smile:

Some of the green "stems" have sprouted white "flowers" and one of my Astrea snails now has them for backpacking

There are 3 things I'm asking about;
-The Green Stems ( some with white flowers )
-The Green Flowers with White centers
-The White Flowers

Thanks for your help

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01072.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01073.jpg

reefwars
06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
clove polys for the first and green zoanthids for the second... both are good , the cloves grow fast. both are very hardy and i bet can survive cycling.

reefwars
06-02-2012, 03:45 AM
the green stems are a type of macro...i would remove it if you could:) cheers

reefwars
06-02-2012, 03:46 AM
a tang would graze the macro easily enough:)

gregzz4
06-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Great ! Thanks for that
I don't want to put any fish in yet as I still have some LR to install, but was hoping a Tang would munch this stuff

Hopefully I can get the LR in soon as I'd like to get started on stocking :smile:

I've been told that I should burn the macro ... this leads me to want to remove the rock and use my propane torch :twised:
I have tried tweezers on it and it comes back as I can't get the whole stem

Wadda ya think ?

gregzz4
06-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Safe enough to wait a month or so before I get a Tang and hope the macro doesn't grow all over everything ?

subman
06-02-2012, 04:07 AM
yep leave it for now, and put the torch away lol

reefwars
06-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Safe enough to wait a month or so before I get a Tang and hope the macro doesn't grow all over everything ?

absolutely your tang will demolish it anyways. peroxide will also take it out but would make a nicer dinner for your fish:P

gregzz4
06-02-2012, 04:24 AM
OK !!
Thanks both of you
I'll stop worrying about it for now, although I'll keep an eye on it

I'd sure like to get a Tang soon, but am still curing more LR :wink:

MMAX
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
If you have the torch out burn the clove polyps too. They'll reach plague proportions in no time. I have the blue ones in my tank and there's no way to get rid of them.

Aquattro
06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I have the blue ones in my tank and there's no way to get rid of them.

I have these too, they're everywhere.

MMAX
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM

I used to think they were nice...they're friggen evil and damn near indestructable.

cale262
06-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I used to think they were nice...they're friggen evil and damn near indestructable.

I have a Moorish Idol that made short work of them...then he moved on to the zoas. :neutral:

gregzz4
06-02-2012, 10:46 PM
If you have the torch out burn the clove polyps too. They'll reach plague proportions in no time. I have the blue ones in my tank and there's no way to get rid of them.

These comments have me thinkin' twice about leaving them in

God knows how long it'll be before I get a Tang through QT, + there's the new LR to think about as far as a cycle goes - me thinks I'll give peroxide a go and see what happens

Enigma
06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I love my clove polyps. I do have them isolated on a rock of their own, however.

MMAX
06-03-2012, 12:11 AM
I love my clove polyps. I do have them isolated on a rock of their own, however.

Good luck on the isolation, pretty soon you'll have a tank full of them.

Snappy
06-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Plus one - I agree they can be a nuisance. That said mine were all eaten by my old majestic angel.

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Well, I did it
Not knowing how long it'll be until we have a Tang to eat the macro, I pulled the rock out and torched it :twised: kinda satisfying - sizzle sizzle
I got most of the cloves and figured I may as well hit the mushroom algae too
Now that I know how easy it is I'll keep an eye on things in case I want to do it again :smile:

I'll watch for NH3 for a few days

MMAX
06-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Plus one - I agree they can be a nuisance. That said mine were all eaten by my old majestic angel.

Is that the only thing he ate or did he take a liking to SPS or zoas too?