PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a sea cucumber crash their tank?

LeanneP
06-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Just got a pink sea cucumber that filter feeds. I had done some reading on them and I know they can poison a tank. Would it show as ammonia if they were releasing their toxin? Has anyone had any bad experiences with them?
Leanne

tang daddy
06-02-2012, 02:56 AM
They're not the easiest of filter feeders to keep, However some have had success, you should be feeding coral frenzy and reefroids pretty heavy and I hope your tank is mature!

daniella3d
06-02-2012, 03:24 AM
one of my friend had a tank crash and all of her fish died because one of these sea cucumber expealed its internal organ.

They can do that if they feel threatened.

mat20040
06-02-2012, 06:07 AM
I have one about 3 month ago in 210 gallon tank and got sucked in to the MP60 vortech, in 1 hr everything in the tank died fish and coral

Just got a pink sea cucumber that filter feeds. I had done some reading on them and I know they can poison a tank. Would it show as ammonia if they were releasing their toxin? Has anyone had any bad experiences with them?
Leanne

albert_dao
06-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Me, Me, Me!

Back when I was working at a store, we had one crash a small display tank after getting sucked in by a powerhead. It happened FAST, <5 minutes. Two tangs, several shrimp and a flame angel down the drain - poor guys :(

To answer your other question, no. NH4 readings would be irrelevant due to the speed and severity of the toxin.

Don't put one in your tank unless you're dedicating a tank to it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Not me, but a friend of mine had that happen when his big ugly cuc expelled its guts. Everything dead in way less than an hour.

I only keep tiger cucs & have no problems with these (knock on wood furiously).

Anthony

Megalodon
06-02-2012, 08:52 AM
I have one of those filter-feeding pink knobby cucumbers. It's a year or two old now and it's ever-so-slowly withering away. It's body has shrunk a little and it's feeder appendages have shrunk a lot. I notice J&Ls doesn't carry them anymore. I think I'm going to flush it.

Anyone want it? In light of this thread, which has got me worried, the darned thing is for free.

LeanneP
06-02-2012, 03:32 PM
After reading these posts, I guess it is not worth the risk of my whole tank for one of these guys. I guess he can go into my quarentine tank until I can see if the store will take him back. Thanks for the info.
Leanne

ongquang21
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Is it tiger tail cucumber safer?
I bought one a couple months ago; it is cleaning up my tank nicely. But this infor. thread makes me scared.
I really need advise, specially from someone whose tank was crashed by it.
Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-03-2012, 01:02 AM
I've kept tiger tail cucs for years, with no crashs (again, furiously knocking on wood).

chandigz
06-03-2012, 01:22 AM
I've kept tigertails for years without a problem other then they would slowly move the sand from the front of my tank to the back. They are one of my favorite sand sifters and I will probably always have one or more. From what I understand the pink filter feeding ones can be quite toxic and can release toxins when stressed or threatend like if the get caught in a powerhead. They seem to like being in higher flow areas to feed and that often means near a powerhead. They also usually slowly starve in a tank because there isn't enough food for them. The tigertails live on the bottom so that is never a problem.

goldie
06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
I had one a few years back, I don't know what kind it was but is was black. It disappeared and I never noticed. Guess it died but nothing was affected. :)