PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help!

SleepyPirate
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I bought Two little fishies Marine snow today along with some Marineland Premium activated carbonfrom Big Als and added both to tank today. The marine snow stinks of rotten eggs not sure if thats normal. I came only 2-3 hrs later and found my Yellow tang lieing on the sand bed and rocks. I tryed to move him and he he did move but only to land himself sideways in the sand again, he adjusted back to the spot he was previously in. I did an anomina check its its at .25ppm so I changed 5 gallons out of my 50 gallon tank. Could the the carbon or marine snow that smells horrible be to blame for this?? Iv had tang for over a year and it just today started to act werid. below is a pic of him now. Any ideas whats going on?? all other fish are acting normal.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zqdes2.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nl4ro9.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/5b4sd4.jpg

Rogue951
06-01-2012, 12:33 AM
was there ammonia before??
If not then I would do a huge water change and pull the carbon and the snow until you know which it is.
I can't remember didn't Marineland have a bad batch of carbon before?....
I know I stopped using the stuff myself.

do you always have microbubbles stuck to the rock like that?

SleepyPirate
06-01-2012, 12:49 AM
I have alot of oxgen in the water due to the fluval filter i beleve, I checked ALL parimeters except amonia a few weeks ago all was good so no idea if it just changed, I read the Kent Carbon had a recal but nothing on Marineland carbon. Dunno what caused it but I cant see the carbon hurting the fish mabey the plants?!

subman
06-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Did the carbon go in the cannister? Did you clean out the cannister today as well?

SleepyPirate
06-01-2012, 12:55 AM
Cleaned filter completly rinsed the carbon and bag before adding it to fluval then added new water to canister

PurpleMonkey
06-01-2012, 01:06 AM
I use the TLF Marine Snow and it should not smell like rotten eggs... I'm putting my money on that for the cause.

Like Rogue said, start mixing water. If you have something like ammolock (I think that's what it is called) now would be the time to use it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

fishytime
06-01-2012, 01:32 AM
prime (works) or amquel (works better) or prodibio start will neutralize the ammonia

Snaz
06-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Rotten eggs smell is hydrogen sulfide and that is what happens when something rots in an environment of no oxygen, like a closed bottle. It is pretty toxic but I think can be neutralized easily with iron oxide(gfo) or sodium bicarbonate. I have not done this and it comes from the top of my head but I suspect some time with Google you can get a proper answer.

Perhaps someone in the gas industry could pipe up on how best to neutralize hydrogen sulphide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide#Toxicity

albert_dao
06-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Out of curiosity, did your canister filter at any point remain off for a period >30 minutes?

Enigma
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Baking soda and lime are two things used in oil and gas, but it is done at a ph much higher than what our tanks are. I think the really high ph (over 10) is required for it to be successful. I'm fuzzy on the details. It has been years since I learned how it was done.

If you have any of the Marine Snow left, take that and your reciept back to Big Al's. I've had good dealings with one of the mangers there on a couple of occasions. Brandon? Brad? His name starts with a "B." I only expect that you'll be able to get your money back, but maybe they'll pull the Marine Snow from the shelves and investigate. The manager (B) is very good about digging into things and producing an answer.

I hope your tang is doing better this morning.

FishyFishy!
06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah my coral snow has never ever smelt like rotten eggs. Something sat stagnant for a while in pipes or something, or you got a bad batch of coral snow.

Definitely start dosing with prime or amquel

Enigma
06-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Update? How is your tang and the rest of your livestock?