PDA

View Full Version : IO Reef Crystal Question

Kevotron
05-31-2012, 03:29 AM
it seems every time i use reef crystal for my water changes my mixing pump/bottom of my container is coated with a white slime substance.....
anybody share the same experience ?

rastaangel
05-31-2012, 03:40 AM
I never have anything like that happen... The only time ive ever had any percipitation was with zeovits salt

RDNanoGuy
05-31-2012, 03:42 AM
it seems every time i use reef crystal for my water changes my mixing pump/bottom of my container is coated with a white slime substance.....

Yes most people experience this to some degree. It is excess calcium precipitating on the sides of the container. This is because the salt mix contains more calcium than the water can hold in saturation. It is nothing to worry about.

lastlight
05-31-2012, 05:43 AM
My RC sludge is red/brown and pretty nasty.

Aquaria
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM

Yup I have to clean my heater n power head every 5-6 w/c or they get nasty plus a good bucket hand scrub after every change

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
I've not been doing this long, but I find I get a good mix if the water is up to temp first. I stir it for a few minutes and leave it overnight with the heater and a powerhead
I don't get any residue in the NSW tank but clean it out anyway, including a quick wipe on the hardware with a scubbie sponge and a rinse with new RO

Cal_stir
06-03-2012, 01:51 PM
My RC sludge is red/brown and pretty nasty.

I was using IO without a problem (a bit of ca buildup over time), then I switched to H2Ocean and got the nasty red-brown film in my container and it spread to my sand bed, I then switched to Reefcrystals and now I'm back to the same as the regular IO.

I have a 20 gal mixing container, I add 4 cups of salt at a time and let it mix at least 1 hour before adding more. If you add the salt too fast the stuff will precipitate out.

daniella3d
06-03-2012, 01:57 PM
no such thing with reef crystal and I have been using it for 2 years. I tried Red Sea coral pro, H2O and a few others and I did not have very good result, especially with H2H and I still needed to dose so I returned to RC and it's the best for me so far.