PDA

View Full Version : transporting fish

Coralgurl
05-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I have the opportunity to grab 5 fish in great health from a local reefer. Fortunately,this person only lives 10 mins from me. They will be going into diff tanks, 2 wrasses and a tang into my 180, 2 dwarf angels into my 55. I don't keep bags from the lfs, would they be ok to transfer in buckets, 3 in one, 2 in another? Or what would be the best way to move them?

Flash
05-30-2012, 04:26 PM
buckets are great! you can put them all in the same, or smaller fish in one and the tank in another! or divide bucket by tank as you stated!!

Mike-fish
05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
bucket will work great. keep any aggressive fish separate to avoid any issues

Coralgurl
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
That's awesome, thanks! I'm probably going to separate by the tanks they are going into for easy acclimation. The tang did not appear to be aggressive in the tank its currently in so hopefully being with the wrasses in a bucket won't be too bad! Its only a 10 min drive so they wouldn't be cooped up for long!:lol:

Coralgurl
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I will see if I can find a third bucket for the tang now that I think about it, then no issues.

Flash
05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
2 buckets should be plenty! tang with the wrasses should be fine! it's only 10min then acclimation

subman
05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I prefer buckets actually. I find the fish stay calmer and as soon as yoi get home just start the drip no transfering.

reefme
05-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I prefer buckets actually. I find the fish stay calmer and as soon as yoi get home just start the drip no transfering.

Same with me.

Coralgurl
05-30-2012, 11:11 PM
I have only purchased 1 fish from another reefer, to date they've all come from the lfs, so this is great information. I don't have any empty salt buckets so will stop at Rona to pick up a couple, always good to have around anyway. Thanks everyone!

strickrick
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
I'd try and keep the tang separate. I helped a friend move a while back and he put 2-3 fish in each bucket and one of the tangs just circled & circled killing one of the other tangs in the bucket. Cannot to date remember what it was but it shredded the other one. I'm thinking it was due to panic and not aggression.

Flash
05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
never seen that happen! I have transported many fish in buckets... you should see how many fish some stores acclimate in a single bucket... the tang may have died due to stress! tangs and wrasses aren't going to get up to much trouble... unless it's a lunar or bird wrasse.... then i'd just ask "why do you want those" lmao!

Coralgurl
05-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Leopard wrasse and red coris wrasse with the tang. The red coris has just changed to adult colors, tang is not quite full grown but a good size and leopard wrasse - hard to say but about the size I've seen others, so maybe full grown??!!

strickrick
05-31-2012, 03:55 PM
It had numerous flesh wounds caused by the scalpel as the tang kept rounding the bucket. Like I said it was shredded. It was the first time I've heard of this as well. If memory serves me correct, I believe it was a Sohal which was approx. 7-8 inches.

Flash
05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
that explains it. I hate sohal tangs!

what kind of tang did you get coralgurl?

the coris wrasses are beautiful! leopards are awesome... hope it comes out of hiding for you! lol!

Coralgurl
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Yellow tang, I was hoping to add a yellow much later as one I had before got quite mean to newcomers added after him, but this one is beautiful (is there really a difference....lol). All my fish are peaceful so that's the only bit making me a bit nervous...

The wrasses are stunning as well. I added a red velvet wrasse and it does still hides, but comes out to eat and gets bolder everyday. Both the wrasses were out swimming in their current tank when I was there last weekend, so hopefully they settle quickly once I get them!

Coralgurl
06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
All fish transported and now in their new tanks, except the leopard wrasse. Will hopefully have him soon.