PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie...here is my setup so far

RPatsula
05-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Hello everyone, I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby. So after going through CanReef and several YouTube videos here is what I ended up setting up. I have attached some pictures as well.
230 gallon tank 8’’ by 2’’ by 2’’
100 gallons sump
vertech 280 skimmer
2 eco-tech MP 40s
2 eco-tech MP 10s
4 eco-tech Radeon lights
200 pounds of live rock
Vertech RO/DI water purifier for auto top up and water changes.

After letting the aquarium stabilize for a month, I put in 40 hermit crabs and 40 snails. Then after another month I started putting in some fish as well as some coral. Here is a list of the fish and coral I put in(they have been in for approximately one month)
4 clown fish-3 are still alive
3 cardinal fish-all are dead
1 diamondback goby-dead
12 cromis-6 still alive
4 peppermint shrimp-2 still alive
1 regal tang-dead
2 Zoa colonies-alive
1 green plop-alive
2 anenomes-alive
As you can see I seem to be having good luck with the coral but really bad luck with the fish. Initially I think I was not feeding them enough, so that is why I think they died. Now I am feeding them frozen shrimp twice a day. Also as a newbie I didn't realize I had to feed the anenomes but now that I am they seem to be doing a lot better.
Since I am in a wheelchair, I also created a feeding tube system, to help me feed my fish. I made a mistake when I built this and used brass ball valves. I am in the process of removing them and putting in PVC valves. Once this is done, I will post pictures of this as well.
Here are some of my questions. I have a hard time reading my refractometer. Sometimes it says my water is at 1.02 and sometimes it says it's at 1.025. How important is that fluctuation as well as what should I really have my water at. This also brings up another question, I am thinking of purchasing a Neptune apex controller with a PM2 module as well. Would that be a good choice?
It would be nice to know why the fish just seem to be dying? I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am doing about 15% water change every two weeks and I am using the prodibio stuff as well. I guess what I'm looking for is a bit of guidance and advice. I also have a fridge full of beer if you want to come over to share some of your knowledge and check out my set up.

Thanks in advance
Rick

Aquattro
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Maybe slow down on the fish additions, add no more than 2 every week or other week. Although you might have just got less than healthy fish; since lots are still fine, just leave it alone for now.
Refractometers, from what I've seen, all read increments on the scale, so unless you mean 1.020 opposed to 1.02, I'm not sure what you're reading.
Stability is key, I'd aim for 1.026 and keep it there. Other than that, looks like a good start to a really nice setup.
Right after you read this, go remove the brass immediately. It will leach copper into your tank, screwing you forever. I mean right now!! Brass bad! :)

Aquattro
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Oh, and the Apex is a great controller, you wouldn't be disappointed with it.

reefgirl189
05-30-2012, 03:51 PM
That is a very nice set up.

Don't be too upset about a few losses. No one does everything perfectly the first time in this hobby and as Brad said you could have had unhealthy fish to begin with. Sometimes they look fine in the store but aren't eating well or have parasites, etc.

I'm no expert or anything but it looks like you're off to a great start. Welcome to Canreef :biggrin:

ETA: Cardinal fish are rather sensitive. Not sure if yours were captive bred or not but try to look for the CB if you are going to replace them. The CB ones tend to be a bit more hardy.

Coralgurl
05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi, welcome to Canreef! That's a beautiful set up you have going!

How long in total has the tank been running? That's an awful lot of fish for a young tank! Over how much time were they introduced, 1 or 2 every couple of weeks or all at once? How were they acclimated? Typically you should only add 1 or 2 at a time and then wait to let the biological systems in the tank catch up to the additional loads. Have you tested for ammonia after adding the fish?

There are others here that will hopefully chime in as well!

Snaz
05-30-2012, 03:57 PM
You should test your water regularly but certainly a new tank and one with dying stock should be tested every day. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. The difference between 1.020 and 1.025 is huge and should be looked at first, likely your testing method is wrong... Refractometers usually have a focus ring so you can focus that white/black dividing line to razor sharpness so you can get an accurate measurement. YouTube should have instructions on how to read a refractometer.

Feeding twice a day sounds excessive and could lead to high ammonia, nitrate and nitrites in new tanks. Also feed a variety of foods for good fish health. Mysis, plankton, pellets, brine shrimp should be in rotation.

Also make sure your refractometer is calibrated, I tested mine recently and it was out 0.003 points!

wickedfrags
05-30-2012, 04:14 PM
A nice looking system.

Some of my immediate thoughts:

1. First don't worry too too much about the fish. While you may have rushed to add some, they may have been significantly stressed from shipment or poor collection practices and not going to live regardless. That being said, consider all the fish you want to add carefully as taking a poor choice out is no easy task.

2. Next time, only buy snails OR hermits......the hermits eventually grow and kill the snails and take their shells.....I only go with snails myself.

3. I would also consider taking offline or out of use what appears to be a black garbage can beside the sump....a food grade container is always recommended as others are know to leak contaminants into your system.

4. How do you plan on maintaining your calcium and alkalinity? I did not see a calcium reactor near the sump or any 2-part dosing supplies.

Cheers.

RPatsula
05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I may have been a bit hasty because I did add all the fish at once. I will go and purchase some different types of fish food so that I will not be feeding them always the same stuff.
I didn't realize that using a normal black plastic garbage can for my water change water would be an issue. Where would a person find a food grade container of that size?
I haven't purchased a calcium reactor yet because I didn't think I needed one until I started adding hard corals. Plus even though I have spread out the costs of this over several months… It still hurts the bank book. But like they say for all hobbies… They are expensive but enjoyable.

Thank you

Nano
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
looks like this will be an awesome set up once underway! sorry about the losses, adding all the fish at once probably could have cause a spike, and more then likely the tank didnt have time to adjust to the bioload. like said above slow and steady is the way to go :)

Good luck and Welcome Aboard

mseepman
05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
First, welcome to the hobby! Secondly...there are some garbage cans that you can use...the big grey Brute containers are recognized for being safe, and easy to get at home depot.

As far as a calcium reactor, I wouldn't start off that route...I would investigate some simple 2 part dosing....can be very cost effective and easier to manage IMO. Once you start getting that reef going, you will have to watch your calcium and alk usage and then decide if you want to dose or go the reactor route.

RPatsula
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Thank you I will go to the home hardware in Beaumont and pick up one of those blue garbage cans. Can you recommend a dosing system? Is it possible through an automated system?
Thanks

jtbadco
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
+1 for testing.

Sounds like you have an awesome set-up but you really need to regularly test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates, phosphates, pH, and salinity (sg)

It is very important to keep the salinity stable...I would pick up a new refractometer if you are not getting consistent readings. Have you calibrated it lately?

+1 for only adding one fish every two weeks

You want to feed a variety of foods but do not over-feed your tank either.

xnmuller
05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
...It is very important to keep the salinity stable...

+1 for stability

I have had my system up for about 18 months. I don't yet have any dosers or controllers, but by far teh best hardware purchase I have made is an ATO system. Absolutely love it and keeps salinity perfeectly stable.

And props to Beaumont - I grew up there.

mseepman
05-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you I will go to the home hardware in Beaumont and pick up one of those blue garbage cans. Can you recommend a dosing system? Is it possible through an automated system?
Thanks

Make sure that you pick up a "Brute" Garbage can, not a "blue" one. It should be grey. I also don't recommend the one on wheels as they've been known to collapse.

As for dosers, GHL makes excellent products but I bought a Marine Magic one on a group buy here and it looks pretty good too, especially for the dough. Search for it on Canreef and I'm sure you will find a good source for one at a reasonable price.

cale262
05-30-2012, 09:23 PM
If you need a hand, I'm also in Beaumont...

RPatsula
06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your insight as well as your help. A special thanks goes out to cale262. He came over and took a look at my set up and then came back a couple days later with a carbon reactor and GFO unit. My water has completely cleared up.
I also removed all my brass fittings and replace them with plastic PVC fittings. I also removed the black garbage can that was acting as a reservoir for my water changes. I replaced it with a food grade 45 gallon barrel. For those who are interested, I picked it up at the UFA in Leduc for $25.
We are reconstructing the fish feeding apparatus this weekend. So I will take some pictures and post it when I am done.
Once again thank you to everyone who has helped me out.
Rick