PDA

View Full Version : Fish question

roverT
03-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Hi, when my lights come on in the morning (2x40watt NO) all my fish start to breath really fast. This has been going on for a couple weeks now but seems to be getting worse. Today one of my Queen/Sunburst hybrid anthias was on its side laying on the botton as well as my flame hawk both breathing very fast. Halides came on and within a 1/2 hour all the fish were back to normal. Water is good by the way. Any help would be great before I start to loose fish?
Thanx

Aquattro
03-24-2004, 03:06 AM
Do you have a filter or something on the timer with the lights? Sounds like not enough O2 during the night.

MitchM
03-24-2004, 03:14 AM
Lack of surface agitation - gas exchange?
Heavy macro algae population?

What's your set-up like?

Mitch

StirCrazy
03-24-2004, 03:31 AM
during the day your algae and such will produce O2. at night they consume it, my guess would be that you are low on O2 in the mornings due to the photosynthic cycle. Do you have a skimmer?

Steve

Aquattro
03-24-2004, 03:45 AM
Steve, I thought of that. but those lights aren't going to drive photosynthesis enough in 30 minutes to affect O2 levels. Unless this is one hell of a planted tank.

StirCrazy
03-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Steve, I thought of that. but those lights aren't going to drive photosynthesis enough in 30 minutes to affect O2 levels. Unless this is one hell of a planted tank.

but it will allow the consumption of O2 to stop and allow the power heads or what not to reintroduce O2 into the water. so it could very well be this fast.

try this, aim a power head at the surface so it chops up the water pretty good and see if you still have the problem the next morning.

Steve

SuperFudge
03-24-2004, 05:16 AM
Do your N/O lights turn off when the halides come on ?

Thinking it could it be a stray current going thru when the N/O lights come on ...

I would suggest starting with having your Halides kick on without the N/O`s first and seeing what happens.

roverT
03-25-2004, 05:52 AM
Just in case anyone wanted to know it must have been the low O2 because I put one of my power heads right at the surface and the fish were all great throughout the day. Thanx everyone.