PDA

View Full Version : salinity increase

subman
05-28-2012, 04:20 PM
So in blind joy setting up my new tank I made a newb mistake and didn't recheck my salinity levels. I filled the tank set the salinity to 1.025 and then proceded to add rock, re did plumbing 6 times ect. Then when I thought things looked good I moved the fish over and then the inverts. Well I had massive invert die off. Rechecked the salinity and it was 1.010 :redface: Im guessing that over the time setting things up I removed a bunch of water and replaced it with fresh bringing it down so low. So I have been raising it slowly over the last 3 weeks and its now up to 1.019 but Im wondering if I could do it any faster to finish it off. I am trying to get the tank stabilized before holiday season comes and this is the last parameter before I start setting my doser.
any recomendations as to safe speeds increasing the salinity?

sphelps
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
What would be the negative effects of increasing the salinity from 1.019 to 1.025 over a couple hours? Seems to me that would be perfectly reasonable, most fish I introduce often come from low salinity and bring them up to normal levels within that time period.

subman
05-28-2012, 05:32 PM
That's what I was thinking but after the mass invert death I was a little gun shy. I think the problem was going from high to low salinity. Going from low to high is maybe easier on them.

sphelps
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
That's what I was thinking but after the mass invert death I was a little gun shy. I think the problem was going from high to low salinity. Going from low to high is maybe easier on them.

The large die off was probably related to the salinity just being too low in general and not the actual change from high to low. I would probably would have raised it from the low point (1.010) to normal within a single day if it was me. I think the sooner you get it back to normal the better, I mean within reason obviously, you don't want to increase it too fast but over a day seems plenty long enough IMO. 3 weeks just seems like crazy overkill.

waynemah
05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
In my struggles with improperly calibrated refract vs my profilux I raised my salinity from 1.018 to 1.026 within a few days. Likely the wrong way, but I just dumped a few cups of salt into a high flow area of the sump twice a day. Nothing died in the process.

Flash
05-28-2012, 06:56 PM
make a small salt sludge.... dump in sump.... WALA!

subman
05-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I guess I was over thinking this lol:redface:

Thanks everyone