PDA

View Full Version : ecotech battery backup issues

ashr
05-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Hey all

So i have add my ecotech marine battery backup for about 1 year and it never seems to work when my power goes up.. This also happened about 6 months ago and needed to replace the cord. (wouldnt charge)

So the backup only works when I unplug the power source to the remote, the battery kicks right on. But when there is a full power outtage it does not work.. Im pretty upset as my power was out for about 5 hours yesterday and this thing didnt kick in..

At this time it is plugged into a power bar. also the main wire in the power bar has always been lose and i can kinda pull it out.. not sure what thats all about..

any ideas? :question:

Thanks

Skimmerking
05-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Ashr sorry to hear about your equipment. All I use is a battery back up those UPs ones I believe from Canadian tire. its been going 100% since i have bought it 3 years ago.

gridley
05-28-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm not an electrician, but as I understand battery backups, it sound like the back up is working fine since when you unplug the unit, the backup kick in. I am wondering if, like you are wondering if there is an issue with the power bar or possibly with the wiring in the house. if you have not already tried this, I would try a different powerbar or plug the unit directly into the outlet and then turn off the breaker to that outlet - that will simulate a power outage, and see what happens. Good luck.

mike31154
05-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey all

So i have add my ecotech marine battery backup for about 1 year and it never seems to work when my power goes up.. This also happened about 6 months ago and needed to replace the cord. (wouldnt charge)

So the backup only works when I unplug the power source to the remote, the battery kicks right on. But when there is a full power outtage it does not work.. Im pretty upset as my power was out for about 5 hours yesterday and this thing didnt kick in..

At this time it is plugged into a power bar. also the main wire in the power bar has always been lose and i can kinda pull it out.. not sure what thats all about..

any ideas? :question:

Thanks

I have VorTechs but not a battery backup. Read up on them a bit though. Is yours the original version made by Icecap or the newer EcoTech one? In either case it's a fairly straightforward setup. Provided the battery has a good charge and you have the connector hooked up to the controller's 12volt socket, it should work. If not, there could be a problem with the controller. If you have a second VorTech, try it on that controller to see what happens.

So the backup only works when I unplug the power source to the remote
What do you mean by "remote"? I assume you mean the pump controller? If so and judging by this statement, there could be an issue with the pump controller. EcoTech is usually pretty helpful if you contact them about an issue with their gear. Might be an idea to contact them. Could get you fixed up pronto.

the main wire in the power bar has always been lose and i can kinda pull it out.. not sure what thats all about..
This is scary! Get rid of that power bar before there's a mishap, fire, electrocution, etc...

ashr
05-28-2012, 05:50 PM
the main wire in the power bar has always been lose and i can kinda pull it out.. not sure what thats all about..
This is scary! Get rid of that power bar before there's a mishap, fire, electrocution, etc...

haha whoops. That is not what I meant to write. The power bar is fully intact and it is the battery I meant.. where I plu the power supply into the battery. i can pull the little plug out with the wires a bit.

Thanks for all the comments.. ill try the testing and call ecotech today!

ashr
05-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Unable to get ahold of anyone today at EcoTech.. :neutral:

JetJumper
05-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Its a holiday is the USA today. Probably why.

ashr
05-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Ohh yeah.. thats right haha
d'oh