PDA

View Full Version : Tunze vs Vortec?

Enigma
05-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Other than the obvious (Vortec being 1/2 on the outside of the tank), what are the important considerations between the two powerheads? I was planning on an MP10, but the Tunze controllable powerheads will connect directly to our controller.

I don't remember what controllable Tunze I was looking at, but it was comparable in price to the MP10.

Can anyone comment on the design of each in relation to critter losses?

fishytime
05-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I like them both for what they each have to offer..... The vortech moves massive amounts of water, has its own controller, connects wirelessly with other devices, and has a low profile... Downsides would be, some people find them noisy, the wet sides are a touch fragile, you are limited as to where you can mount them(unless you get creative) and you can't point them.... The tunzes move a decent amount of water, can be mounted anywhere, are pointable and are bulletproof.....downside would be the profile inside the aquarium...

I use them both:wink:

AquaticFinatic
05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
I had mp40's and sold them to buy 2 6105's and controller. So far I have found the Tunzes to be louder than my 40's so am thinking I might go back to them as I'm losing patience with them.

therealshark
05-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I had mp40's and sold them to buy 2 6105's and controller. So far I have found the Tunzes to be louder than my 40's so am thinking I might go back to them as I'm losing patience with them.

if your tunzes are loud then there is something wrong (maybe a cleaning). i had 2 mp40's and sold them for tunze 6105's, the tunzes are pretty much silent with 24v jumpers.
vortechs are good, but i would never go back to them.

AquaticFinatic
05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Mike I have cleaned thn and the are still loud. I just can't stop the vibration noise no matter what I do. :cry:

Lampshade
05-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I must say to check out the Coralife dc5800's. I hate coralife... but these pumps are silent, dead silent. I've had them for 6months now on a fast on/off cycle, with no problems yet. My koralia 4's are more noisy.

Enigma
06-15-2012, 08:08 PM
I picked up two MP10s last night. Local availability is the biggest reason I chose to purchase them: my favourite LFS had two of them in stock, but not the Tunzes I was interested in.

So far, I'm very pleased with them. I don't have them hooked up to my controller yet, though. I'm not sure if I want to hook them up via the WXM or the VDM.

ultreef
06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I picked up two MP10s last night. Local availability is the biggest reason I chose to purchase them: my favourite LFS had two of them in stock, but not the Tunzes I was interested in.

So far, I'm very pleased with them. I don't have them hooked up to my controller yet, though. I'm not sure if I want to hook them up via the WXM or the VDM.

Can't use VDM with vortechs. So you will need a VXM module.

Enigma
06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Can't use VDM with vortechs. So you will need a VXM module.

I just found that out. Thank you!

:lol: Good thing I hadn't ordered anything for them yet. :o

gobytron
06-15-2012, 11:12 PM
The pumps each have their pros and cons, it's like comparing tangarines to mandarines. Both are good but some people have a favourite based on their own experiences.

but you cant beat the wavebox.

Nothing gets your polyps moving like it does.

Casey8
06-16-2012, 12:25 AM
The pumps each have their pros and cons, it's like comparing tangarines to mandarines. Both are good but some people have a favourite based on their own experiences.

but you cant beat the wavebox.

Nothing gets your polyps moving like it does.

+1