PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr. Telus blocking all ports?

Enigma
05-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Has anyone found a port that Telus isn't blocking? We (as in hubby, who ran his own IT company for fifteen-years and is a networking whiz) tried the Apex on several unassigned ports yesterday. We (he) unblocked each of the ports he tested in the firewall, so that isn't the issue.

I think it is Telus up to no good. They used to just block the assigned ports on residential services.

If no one has had any luck finding an open port . . . This is the final nail in the coffin, and we're going back to Nucleus on Monday.

Enigma
05-27-2012, 12:49 PM
According to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ the port we've presently got the Apex on is open.

I just read something on a tech forum about Telus blocking specific packet types. Being that the Apex has an integrated webserver, that may be the issue. Telus only allows the running of webservers on their commercial plans, so it may be the packets themselves that are being blocked.

Snaz
05-27-2012, 01:28 PM
They sure do.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10283

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
What are you trying to do? Access from web, or set up email?

Enigma
05-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Access from the web when outside of our network.

(Removed)

Port 8080 is absolutely open. Clicking that link should take you to the log in for my Apex (I changed the default password), but it won't.

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:01 PM
You can't access a 192.x.x.x IP from the web. You need to use the external IP address.

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I just tried to connect to your IP that made the post above, on port 8080 and did receive the prompt for username and password.

Enigma
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
I think we tried that, too. I'll double check.

Enigma
05-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I just tried to connect to your IP that made the post above, on port 8080 and did receive the prompt for username and password.

Will try that. Hubby is going to feel like a moron if it works (I'm networking dumb).

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Will try that. Hubby is going to feel like a moron if it works (I'm networking dumb).

As a network whiz, he should :razz:

MarkoD
05-27-2012, 03:11 PM
If you've got an actiontec modem, use port 8080

Enigma
05-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Apparently it was a carbon based interface error.

It took five attempts to connect via the 3G on my iPad just now, but I did connect. The iPad is the device we were using to test it last night. After each failed attempt he changed the port. I'll test from work tomorrow to see if I get a more reliable response from a computer outside our network.

The notes he's left on the table do indicate that I need to use a different address to access from outside our network: but I mixed that up. That part was my fault. :lol:

Edit: We're so convinced that Telus is the Devil that we blame them for everything. ;)

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:22 PM
When I connected, it was instant and on the first try. My ipad sucks accessing my Apex from either side, I wouldn't use that as a test.

whatcaneyedo
05-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Once you get this figured out would you mind posting some step by step instructions for the rest of us idiots (meaning me). Altogether I've spent 5-6 hours trying to access my apex from outside of my home network. Its been over a year since I last tried but I'd be willing to give it another go.

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Once you get this figured out would you mind posting some step by step instructions for the rest of us idiots (meaning me). Altogether I've spent 5-6 hours trying to access my apex from outside of my home network. Its been over a year since I last tried but I'd be willing to give it another go.

It's not too difficult, but depends on the router you're using. You need to forward port requests from web to your apex, so it's called port forwarding, webserver, or some variant of that..

Post the make/model of your router and maybe someone has the same thing, once you know which page to use, it takes a minute to set up.

Enigma
05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
When I connected, it was instant and on the first try. My ipad sucks accessing my Apex from either side, I wouldn't use that as a test.

I've been playing with it . . . .my success rate with the iPad is about 10%. Hubby just tried connecting with his BlackBerry Bold over 3G, and that didn't work either. I haven't tried it with my Torch yet.

Do you think it could be a 3G issue, and not device specific?

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:47 PM
No, I connect fine with my phone, or any PC I use. Although I'm not with Telus, but pretty sure they don't block 3G web requests :)

whatcaneyedo
05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
We just switched to Telus so we've now got this two in one router and modem. My previous attempts were with Shaw and a Linksys router. The new unit says Actiontec V1000H. At one point in the past I had someone over picking up a few frags and happened to work with networks for a living. He took a quick glance at what I had done so far and said that it looked right to him. So I must have been close...

Aquattro
05-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Shelley probably has the best advice then, I believe she may have the same router?

Enigma
05-27-2012, 05:01 PM
No, I connect fine with my phone, or any PC I use. Although I'm not with Telus, but pretty sure they don't block 3G web requests :)

Works fine with my Torch.

Shelley probably has the best advice then, I believe she may have the same router?

Yes, I've got the same router.

We just switched to Telus so we've now got this two in one router and modem. My previous attempts were with Shaw and a Linksys router. The new unit says Actiontec V1000H. At one point in the past I had someone over picking up a few frags and happened to work with networks for a living. He took a quick glance at what I had done so far and said that it looked right to him. So I must have been close...

It could just be that you neglected to reboot the Apex (or something). We made that mistake.

And, once you get it set up you won't just be able to type "apex" into the address bar of your browser. You'll need to use specific addresses combined with the port number.

I'll try to put something together for you. But, hubby made all of the changes while I looked on. I may need him to explain everything to me, and he's working right now.

Alternatively, I may be able to convince him to give you a call. But, I better get the laundry done first. :redface:

lockrookie
05-27-2012, 06:48 PM
flaggng this forfuture use..not to this point yet but i will be still trying to get my cat5 to the modem...only 30 more feet of strategic wire runs to go

Snaz
05-27-2012, 07:17 PM
This a great resource for how to setup your router to forward ports. Just find your router model and then follow the prompts and screen shots.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/

Ginu
08-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Sorry to resurrect such old thread but I'm wondering if any of the posters above with Neptune Controller and Telus Actiontec router got the link out of the home network working...

I've spent countless hours trying to get this figured out and unfortunately its not working...

Ive followed the instructions on portforward.com before stumbling upon this thread and not working...
I spoke with telus staff and they are clueless when it comes to port forwarding... they want to send me to their "premier care" which costs 60$ or they want me to subscribe to a business package for a service which is offered on Shaw...

Anyhow at the moment I have a few ports open (80, 8080, 307, 2050, 9900) however none show up when I run a test on a port check website... I get the following messages :

Port 80 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_80) is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 8080 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_8080) is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 307 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_307) is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 2050 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_2050) is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx
Port 9900 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_9900) is closed on 23.xx.xx.xx

Ive changed the port on the Apex to all of the above, reset the controller and linked my cell (LG Nexus 4) and my iPad3 through the house network without a problem, however cant get it to work with the external network.

I'm getting to the point where I want to bridge the Telus Actiontec V1000H and run my third party Netgear router in hopes this will fix the port forwarding issue, but I'm also wondering if there is a easier way, has anyone with Telus/Apex and Actiontec been able to set the external network up? Please let me know and sorry to resurrect an old thread, just getting really upset with Telus and their service...

makana
08-10-2013, 12:25 AM
did you forward your port to the correct IP, or an IP? I didn't see anything in the instructions that said to set the IP it is forwarded to. Since you are attemptint to connect from an outside connection into a device you need to specify the device IP so the router knows where to sent the packets. You also need to select the correct protocol udp or tcp.

Ginu
08-10-2013, 12:34 AM
did you forward your port to the correct IP, or an IP? I didn't see anything in the instructions that said to set the IP it is forwarded to. Since you are attemptint to connect from an outside connection into a device you need to specify the device IP so the router knows where to sent the packets. You also need to select the correct protocol udp or tcp.

Yup correct protocol was set to TCP and correct IP address is used.

makana
08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Are you using the same port to connect internally as you are trying externalling? Can you post a screen shot of your port forwarding settings? Have you tried connecting externally or just using the port testing tool?

TimT
08-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Just a word of caution to all those Telus customers using the Actiontec v1000H modem. There is a known security flaw with them. The Telus tech user and root user passwords are readily available on the internet. All a hacker needs to do is find out there is one of these routers at an ip address, then run a DNS rebinding attack on it and voila.... full control of the router. This was with the latest firmware as of this February.

Cheers,
Tim

Ginu
08-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Just a word of caution to all those Telus customers using the Actiontec v1000H modem. There is a known security flaw with them. The Telus tech user and root user passwords are readily available on the internet. All a hacker needs to do is find out there is one of these routers at an ip address, then run a DNS rebinding attack on it and voila.... full control of the router. This was with the latest firmware as of this February.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Well yes that would make sense, however upon the 1st login to the router, you will be prompted to change the password, so even though its readily over the web just like any other router and their information (which is also on the net)... only issue here is to actually change the passwords for all the login usernames as well.

Well I actually got it all working without bridging the router, so if anyone has any questions I will most likely be able to answer them.

Now next issue, the email forwarding doesn't seem to work. Created a GMX account and all but it will not send emails out, any ideas on how that can be fixed?

TimT
08-12-2013, 07:20 PM
however upon the 1st login to the router, you will be prompted to change the password

I think you misunderstood my comment.

The router has 3 users that I know of which will successfully log in to the router.

1. Admin. This is the one you are referring to and has limited access to certain router/modem features. You can change the password and make it secure.

2. Tech - This is what Telus uses to login to your modem/router to update the firmware or make modifications from their end.

3. Root - This is the highest level of administrative access. With it you can completely change any setting you choose.

The passwords for Tech and Root are readily available on the internet. I did not try to change those passwords so don't know whether it's possible or not. I suspect they are hardcoded into the firmware. Someone using one of these modems would need to verify if it's possible.

I got Telus to upgrade my modem to the Thompson and use my own router. As soon as I switched out the router the port forwarding for the Profilux and ip cameras all worked fine.

Cheers,
Tim

Ginu
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
I think you misunderstood my comment.

The router has 3 users that I know of which will successfully log in to the router.

1. Admin. This is the one you are referring to and has limited access to certain router/modem features. You can change the password and make it secure.

2. Tech - This is what Telus uses to login to your modem/router to update the firmware or make modifications from their end.

3. Root - This is the highest level of administrative access. With it you can completely change any setting you choose.

The passwords for Tech and Root are readily available on the internet. I did not try to change those passwords so don't know whether it's possible or not. I suspect they are hardcoded into the firmware. Someone using one of these modems would need to verify if it's possible.

I got Telus to upgrade my modem to the Thompson and use my own router. As soon as I switched out the router the port forwarding for the Profilux and ip cameras all worked fine.

Cheers,
Tim

Yup I know there are three passwords for the different logins and I havent tried changing the password on them either. Will probably play with it tonight see if I can change them

In regards to the Thompson, was there a upgrade fee or they just straight across changed it?

Thanks,

TimT
08-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I explained the situation to them and told them I would cancel all my services with them if they did not switch it. Worked like a charm but they were hesitant at first. They are well aware of the problem. I don't know if the Thompson supports the Optik TV or not. I only use it for Internet.

Ginu
08-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I explained the situation to them and told them I would cancel all my services with them if they did not switch it. Worked like a charm but they were hesitant at first. They are well aware of the problem. I don't know if the Thompson supports the Optik TV or not. I only use it for Internet.

I see. Funny thing happened, I reset some settings on the Apex from work and restarted the controller... next thing my port on the router seems to be closed now... I can't wait to get home to see what happened to the router.

Ginu
08-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Fixed the Apex settings and it is now back online. Had a issue with the forwarding of the email using GMX and that was solved by simply updating the firmware on the APEX.

It is now working flawlessly.