PDA

View Full Version : Sand Sifting Starfish

hfp75
05-26-2012, 07:32 PM
I need feedback. Usually I research purchases, but I got a 3" sand sifting starfish. Now I read mixed reviews about them and the majority of people say not to get them. I can return it if I need to but do I really need to?

I have a JBJ 24g with about 1.5" of sand.

What do you think? I feed everyday, is it a keeper or a return item?

I like the idea of it.... should I just get another Starfish or skip them all together.

THX

Coralgurl
05-26-2012, 07:34 PM
I've had one in my tank for about a month and a half, it's definitely grown a bit since adding, comes out a few times a day. I asked the same questions as I was concerned as well, but so far so good.

patman
05-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I think I read somewhere before about 1 in a 70g tank. That was after I had already put a second one in my 90g :lol:. My first one went in when I was battling a bit of cyano and a mini cycle after a move and still hasn't grown as big as the second one. Both are coming up on two years now. They pop up every now and then (mainly early and late in the day when the lights are lower). I don't really do anything to my sand (also about 1.5") so I kinda like having them in there if they are keeping things somewhat mixed up in the sand bed.

Not sure if 24g might be a little too small. Mine used to climb the glass every now and then which may have meant they didn't have enough food in the sand bed. They haven't done that for about 6 months now.

mike31154
05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
He will more than likely starve in your tank eventually. I had one a few years ago in my 77 gal with deeper sandbed than yours. Did fine until I made the error of getting a rather large white spot hermit crab. That hermy was a great sandsifter also, but he got way too large & started eating everything, including the starfish. The hermit & starfish are both long gone now. Chalk it up to experience by mistakes. Hard to say if the starfish would still be alive if I hadn't added herminator. He came from a previously owned 55 gal tank that I purchased & added livestock to my 77. Before the hermit, I reckon I had him for well over a year. But like I said at the start, I don't think your system or sandbed are enough to sustain that guy long term.

hfp75
05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I've had one in my tank for about a month and a half, it's definitely grown a bit since adding, comes out a few times a day. I asked the same questions as I was concerned as well, but so far so good.

What size is your tank????

Myka
05-26-2012, 09:16 PM
A Sand Sifting Starfish in a 24 gallon reef hardly stands a chance as it would be difficult for it to get enough food. Also bear in mind that Sand Sifting Starfish will completely strip the sandbed of life as they are omnivorous predators meaning they will eat live critters within the sandbed like Medusa worms, spaghetti worms, etc. Whether that is important to you or not I don't know.

Black Brittle Starfish are much more suited to captivity and do quite well usually. They are not the type of Starfish that you would see very often though as they are nocturnal. I've had mine for about 5 years, and he is quite large and freaky (imo) looking.

subman jr.
05-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Mine is awesome he comes out a lot. He cleans my sand really good and I like him.

hfp75
05-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Mine is awesome he comes out a lot. He cleans my sand really good and I like him.

Once again how big is your tank?

:question:

Coralgurl
05-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Mines a 180 gl dt with an an 80 gl sump

whatcaneyedo
05-27-2012, 03:37 PM
I've observed two local friends keep them for at least a year, perhaps several in their 250gal and 500gal tanks. My own attempt in 120gal was a failure. I think it was dead after a month. That was a few years ago and I haven't purchased another one since.

reefbyremote
05-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I have tried 2 in a mature 90 g and both starved. They lost legs one at a time until they simply disappeared. I will not buy another.

hfp75
05-27-2012, 08:01 PM
After reading a few more opinions with tank specs... (which helps)

I will be taking it back and trading it back in........ Oh well...

THX...

I guess in a 24g Nano....

maybe a brittle starfish.....

???

or are they all out?

Wayne
05-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Brittle star should be ok... You may have to target feed though. I had mine in a 29g and he was quite large.