PDA

View Full Version : Been thinkin' about new MP40s

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 12:57 PM
I've listened to some MP40s, and I have MP10s

The MP40s I've listened to lately are used, and over 1 or 1.5 years old. They are very noisy, at least to me

I have one more option to listen to an acquaintance's MP40 on the same size tank as mine
He has a 10 and a 40 on a 75g

We'll see what happens but, I'm not holding my breath anymore as I am finding the 40s to be too loud for my liking ......

Proteus
05-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Check out sicce. They claim they are dead quite.
I have some on route so I'm looking forward to it. On another thread there is some one said there is a Canadian retailer.

Down fall is there in tank like hydor

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 02:17 PM
That's too bad that they are in-tank

I would consider the Tunzes, but same problem

Thanks for the insight

I'm almost thinking I should re-build and do a closed-loop ( NOT GOING TO HAPPEN RIGHT NOW ) :smile:

Proteus
05-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I had a idea the other day about closed
Loop.
It was to use hottub jets as the spiral when in action.
The ones in my hottub have no Metal parts and fit like a bulkhead fairly flush

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Hmmm
Weird thought you had there

I don't think many aquarium return pumps are strong enough to run hot tub jets, but, maybe I don't know enough

Anyway, not the point here ....

Enigma
05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure if Snappy is using the MP40s or bigger. I've heard his in person, and they were very quiet to me. I seem to remember corraline on them, so they can't be really new. Maybe he'll chime in.

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I wish you could come and hear my 10s Shelley
Then you might say different .....
My 10s are very quiet
One is just over a year old and the other is brand new
I'm hoping I am wrong, but the 40s I have heard so far are far too noisy for me

marie
05-26-2012, 03:10 PM
The 40's are loud, unless you turn the speed down....and then whats the point of having them :lol:

Nano
05-26-2012, 03:25 PM
all the mp40's I have heard have a loud whiny sound when they start to spin I think to me its a bit annoying, but if my tank was in wall, I would go for it for sure.

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 03:44 PM
The 40's are loud, unless you turn the speed down....and then whats the point of having them :lol:
I agree with the noise we all hear - it's just too bad that the 40s are so grindy sounding
I was hoping to move the same amount of water with an MP40 on, say, 50 or 60 % instead of an MP10 on 100%, thus reducing the total noise output :wink:

But, after listening to the ones I've been near to so far, I'd say the 40s are mucho louder than 10s, even at low speeds. The 40s tend to growl and grind, whereas the 10s only have a higher-pitched whine/whistle to them ... kinda like a street-vacuum-truck-kinda-noise in the distance

I got some tips from Tang Daddy
After a conversation with him, I changed the setting and may even try the 2 pumps I have on different panes of the tank
So, today I will move them around, instead of the standard locations recommended by EcoTech, and we'll see what happens :mrgreen:

This may even lead me to buy a 3rd 10 ... who knows :noidea:

burgerchow
05-26-2012, 03:52 PM
If you find the mp40s grindy sounding, that's only cause they aren't correctly aligned with wet side and dry side. When properly aligned, they just sound like a turbo from a car. Turn them down to about 75%, and the sound is negligible.

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 04:06 PM
I know what you mean about mis-alignment, but I did play with them

I could not make them any quieter, regardless of how much I moved them around ...

It wasn't vibration, it was just the dry-side bearing noise

Enigma
05-26-2012, 04:13 PM
I wish you could come and hear my 10s Shelley
Then you might say different .....
My 10s are very quiet
One is just over a year old and the other is brand new
I'm hoping I am wrong, but the 40s I have heard so far are far too noisy for me

I haven't heard any MP10s, so you're very right that my conclusions could be different as a result.

And, I have two very noisy pumps in my return, as well as a noisy overflow. I may have just become accustomed to a really noisy tank (and it is in our bedroom, of all places).

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry to hear you have noisy returns

We sleep next to our tank, too, but luckily I was able to punch a hole in the wall and set up the sump in my office
We still hear the hum of 2 pumps ( which drives me nuts ), although the wife says it's all good

I wish I could hear your tank :wink:

Enigma
05-26-2012, 04:43 PM
My return pump is great (Eheim Compact 2000). Super quiet. It is the Maxi Jets that are connected to the fluid reactors and the chiller that I would like to smash with a hammer. I'm picking up a Compact 3000 as soon as I stop screwing around on the forum and get my backside out the door, and the MJs will be coming out. Then I'll get to listen to the slurping and splashing in my overflow again. I digress.

This thread has been hugely informative for me. While still a couple of months off, I was debating going larger than the MP10s for the 40B.

gregzz4
05-26-2012, 05:16 PM
We also wanted to smash our 1/4HP chiller it's first few days next to the tank
This was summer of 2010 on our 125g FW - there was quite the heat wave here then
After some thinking decided to plumb it around the wall to my office and was quite shocked when the wife said, 'save all that lost plumbing and punch a hole through the wall'

Went from 12+ feet of head to about 5
Gotta love my wife lots :mrgreen:

subman
05-26-2012, 11:35 PM
I had 3 mp10s on my 90 and at full speed they would whine but at anything less than 90% it was silent. I think an mp40 on a 90 would be crazy flow. I have 2 on my 225 and they are turned down so I can keep my sand in one place lol. They arw at about 60% and are very quiet.

Id stick with 10's if I was you Greg. I really wanted to run 6 mp10's but the glass was to thick so no go.

AquaticFinatic
05-26-2012, 11:50 PM
I was thinking about the mp60. Does any one know what there noise level is compared to the 40?

Casey8
05-28-2012, 01:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear you have noisy returns

We sleep next to our tank, too, but luckily I was able to punch a hole in the wall and set up the sump in my office
We still hear the hum of 2 pumps ( which drives me nuts ), although the wife says it's all good

I wish I could hear your tank :wink:

Did you mean your Eheim pumps ? I have 2 of them in my tank too, they are dead quiet because I have connected them with vinyl hoses instead of pvc pipes. Even so, when I touch the hoses, I still can feel the strong vibration from them or when I just touch the outside sump, but no noise at all. You can use just a few inches of vinyl hose first then attach it with the pvc pipe, it can help to reduce the humming sounds too.

Proteus
05-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Foam pipe insulation also absorbs some ofthe vibration

gregzz4
05-28-2012, 09:02 PM
... Id stick with 10's if I was you Greg. I really wanted to run 6 mp10's but the glass was to thick so no go.
Thanks for the input Sub
I'm testing my 10s with different settings and it's lookin' like they should be enough if I get them placed and programmed just right