PDA

View Full Version : Clown is trying to bury new carpet anemone

DanG
05-24-2012, 05:47 PM
So I snagged a really nice green carpet anemone from my LFS yesterday. Got him into the tank, killed my white LED's, turned the blues down to 10%, killed all the pumps except the return so he's be able to attach his foot in the sand. Before I went to bed last night I turned on the smallest PH in the tank, woke up and all was good, he's attached his foot to the bottom. I plugged my vortech back in, everything is good.

I just walked by the tank a couple of minutes ago and my maroon clown is digging around and dumping the sand on top of the anemone.

I haven't turned the vortech back up, it's still on low. I did try cranking it up to max but with where it's situated, it won't blow the sand off.

Should I use my WC hose to suck the sand off and just replace the water/sand over on the other side of the tank, blow it off with a PH or just leave it be?

intarsiabox
05-24-2012, 06:23 PM
You could use a turkey baster to blow the sand off if it's excessive. I have a number of corals on the sand bed that get covered in sand all the time. I just leave everything be and by the next morning the sand is off.

bruce
05-24-2012, 06:59 PM
You may have a bit of a problem there. I've had a couple carpet anemones over the years and in my experience the maroon clowns do not like them at all. My last carpet ate a gold stripe maroon shortly after it was introduced to my tank. My carpets also preferred placement high on the rocks near one end of the tank and did really well under high flow across their surface from the return pumps. They did awesome there and my last one in fact never moved from that location the entire time I had him over a period of 5 or 6 years and included a few tank moves and rearrangements. I only finally gave him up as I wanted to be able to keep a different variety of fish and had enough of all the different and sometimes expensive fish he had eaten over those years. e.g. blue throat trigger, gobies, blennies, hawkfish, chromis, one maroon clown and last straw was a newly hatched cat shark(my mistake-I should have known better). Anyway I found that the perculas,occellaris and clarki clowns love carpets, will go to them almost immediately upon introduction and spawn readily below then. The maroons avoid them like the plague and my maroons definately prefer the RTBA . My maroon female also tries to either move any corals she physically can that are within a few inches of her host anemone and if she can't move them she will then show her displeasure with their placement and try to bury them in sand.

DanG
07-13-2012, 08:31 PM
It's been a month and a half and after trying several spots, the carpet has found a good spot under one of the large flat rocks in my tank, He's got his foot wedged between a couple of rocks and is extending from under the rock to get some light.
My maroon clown is also hosting in it. I did a WC yesterday and thank goodness for the elbow length gloves I got for this because wow, he did not like my arm or the siphon tube any near him or the carpet.
Colour is still good, he eats whatever chunk of shrimp I can get to him on a stick and cleans up whatever the clown leaves when he eats.