PDA

View Full Version : Determining max tank size for my apartment?

Vagabond
03-23-2004, 10:09 AM
HELP!!

Any engineers, architects, or construction gurus out there who can tell me how to determine a safe weight allowance for the floor in my 3rd floor apartment.

I live in a wood frame building on the 3rd floor (probably late 70's early 80's construction) and am concerned with the size of tank I can safely put in. What construction information do I need to know and is there a formula to determine how much weight my floor joists will support?

Also what is the best way to distribute the weight evenly accross the base of the tank stand?

ruck'n'reefer
03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Please check with an expert, but I have a 150 gal with a 90 gal sump. I live on the third floor of a similarly aged building. The sump sits to the side of the tank not under it. Make sure your insurance covers floods. :eek: (why is flood spelled that way? english is a screwy language)

MitchM
03-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Vagabond,
You should probably ask your insurance company and the landlord/owner.
City hall may have the plans on file to help determine the construction of the building.
Determine where in the apartment you want to put the tank, and which way the joists are running.

And if you feel like doing some calculating, here's a link for building code info:http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/toc.htm

HTH,
Mitch