PDA

View Full Version : To Paint or Not to Paint?

Enigma
05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure where to put this thread. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.

I was going to paint the back of our new display tank (40B). Hubby is opposed to the idea. We've really banged heads over this one. The disagreement is heated! He's getting very fired up about this tank (which is cool, as he hasn't once asked what the chiller, controller, and other stuff is costing).

Then I read this:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/5/equipment

Now I think that painting the back would be unwise, but I still don't want to be able to see though the back wall of the tank. I don't want to see the plumbing.

Comments and/or suggestions?

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
I've always painted the back on my tanks. The pattern shown in that article closely resembles the typical coral placement I've seen in many/most tanks, and as such, would not be a concern. In fact, even if corals weren't placed that way, I'd still not be concerned and I would paint the back of my tank.

Enigma
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Craig: What are you doing to the aquarium?
Shelley: I'm taping it off to paint the back black.
Craig: Don't do that! Why the heck would you do that!!!???
Shelley: Brad told me to.
Craig: Who is Brad?
Shelley: Some dude on the Internet.

Works for me. :lol:

But, in all seriousness, could moving the lighting fixture towards the rear wall of the tank offset some of the effect of painting the back?

Also, could we expect the same effect from LEDs? The T5 fixture will only be temporary: until we have the opportunity to build the LED fixture.

fishytime
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
well, unless you plan on keeping the rock away from the back glass and the back glass as clean as the front glass, then all reflection is going to go out the window so to speak.....Ive always used tape on vinyl (except with my new tank which has vinyl that was applied directly to the glass by the tank manufacturer) simply because I dont think that the time and effort of painting the glass is worth it for me...Im too lazy to keep the back glass clean:redface:

FishyFishy!
05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Paint all the way. If you use Krylon Fusion it only takes like 30 mins total prep/spray time. Just tape the edges, cover the rest of the tank, and spray in 3-4 coats. It dries to the touch in like 15 minutes. They have gloss black, and also a very nice blue as well.

The blue looks like this
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/bilmaga/IMG-20111108-00340.jpg

Enigma
05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
well, unless you plan on keeping the rock away from the back glass and the back glass as clean as the front glass, then all reflection is going to go out the window so to speak.....Ive always used tape on vinyl (except with my new tank which has vinyl that was applied directly to the glass by the tank manufacturer) simply because I dont think that the time and effort of painting the glass is worth it for me...Im too lazy to keep the back glass clean:redface:

Clearance between the tank and the wall will be pretty much zero. The only way to clean the back glass will be to use a scraper on the inside of the tank.

Tape on vinyl was something I was considering. But I wasn't sure if the standard aquarium backgrounds would work all right, or if there was a better product to use.

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Works for me. :lol:

But, in all seriousness, could moving the lighting fixture towards the rear wall of the tank offset some of the effect of painting the back?

Also, could we expect the same effect from LEDs? The T5 fixture will only be temporary: until we have the opportunity to build the LED fixture.

I have to ask, what's his issue with painting the tank??

Perhaps, on paper, there is some merit to this theory of loss of light. But I've never seen a tank with failing corals near the back. Typically the corals towards the back are higher up to facilitate viewing, and therefore get more light, or at least enough to thrive and grow.

If he doesn't like paint, at least a vinyl sheet as Doug mentions above, or you'll be less than happy staring at the wall behind the tank.

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 03:44 PM
. But I wasn't sure if the standard aquarium backgrounds would work all right, or if there was a better product to use.

Paint is a good option :)

Enigma
05-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Paint all the way.

Nice!

I have to ask, what's his issue with painting the tank??

Perhaps, on paper, there is some merit to this theory of loss of light. But I've never seen a tank with failing corals near the back. Typically the corals towards the back are higher up to facilitate viewing, and therefore get more light, or at least enough to thrive and grow.

If he doesn't like paint, at least a vinyl sheet as Doug mentions above, or you'll be less than happy staring at the wall behind the tank.

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is. He's generally really laid back, but every now and then he digs in and won't budge on something. It seldom makes much sense to me. Normally when he digs in he automatically gets his way: as he so seldom kicks up a fuss of any sort . . . but I'm dead set against staring at the wall behind the tank or looking at the plumbing. This is supposed to be "our" build however, and I do really want to encourage his enthusiasm.

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 03:54 PM
This is supposed to be "our" build however, and I do really want to encourage his enthusiasm.

Let him decide the color :razz:

Enigma
05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Let him decide the color :razz:

Though it killed me to do it . . . I sent him a BBM indicating that while I felt very strongly that painting the tank was the best course of action, he could choose the colour.

The response:
"No. You choose."

Problem solved? (unless he's so busy that he didn't think about it before he sent the message)

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Problem solved? (unless he's so busy that he didn't think about it before he sent the message)

Perfect time for a quick paint job before he comes around.

Enigma
05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Perfect time for a quick paint job before he comes around.

Can I paint it before it is drilled?

We cracked this first one when we drilled it. Now we're paying someone to drill the new one. The "leak test" is completed on the new one. I just need to clean it up and mark where the holes need to go.

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Can I paint it before it is drilled?

You can, but you might want to wait until you know you aren't replacing glass :)

Nano
05-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I painted mine black this weekend, it looks a lot better caus it hides the powerheads, but my next tank will have blue overflows and a blue background painted on, I like black, but its a little bit dark

Enigma
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
You can, but you might want to wait until you know you aren't replacing glass :)

An old pro is doing it this time. I'm sure it will be fine.

(I hope)

I painted mine black this weekend, it looks a lot better caus it hides the powerheads, but my next tank will have blue overflows and a blue background painted on, I like black, but its a little bit dark

I think I'll pick up a can of blue and a can of black. That way hubby can choose between the two.

I prefer the black (and the overflow weir is black), but I think he might prefer the blue.

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
An old pro is doing it this time. I'm sure it will be fine.

(I hope)

Thinner glass is tough, it's very easy to crack. I'd hold off painting until the hole is done, old pro or not :)

Enigma
05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Thinner glass is tough, it's very easy to crack. I'd hold off painting until the hole is done, old pro or not :)

Understood.

If I have one more cracked tank I'm going to have to use my overflow box . . . I am really running out of time.

Aquattro
05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, if you spray the paint, don't do it in your kitchen. Trust me on that....

cuz
05-22-2012, 09:20 PM
If you've got some patients and a steady hand with a rattle can do the first coat sparsely and evenly then back it with the black paint.

Edit... Maybe practise on the cracked tank first. Lol

philg3
05-22-2012, 09:56 PM
I used a little Mini paint roller to do mine. A lot less messy than spray paint and it turned out geat. I even skipped the back of my overflows so that I can see the plumbing from behind. Just got to take the time and do 3 or 4 coats of paint.

Bought the roller and mini paint tray for like $5 at canadian tire.

Enigma
05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, if you spray the paint, don't do it in your kitchen. Trust me on that....

Kitchen?! I'd be a dead woman. That's hubby's sacred space. :lol:

Maybe practise on the cracked tank first. Lol

Very good idea.

Bought the roller and mini paint tray for like $5 at canadian tire.

I may try this . . . on the cracked tank first.

gregzz4
05-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I've always used some kind of waterproof material, such as awning material, or, the most recent, just plain old Fabricland Nylon for $6
It's attached to 4 corners with industrial velcro

If we don't like the black, the wife can come with me and we'll pick whatever shade of blue we want :wink:

Only drawback is if you splash water down the back. In your case it would be a permanent mess but maybe it'll give you some ideas ...

Enigma
05-22-2012, 10:41 PM
I've always used some kind of waterproof material, such as awning material, or, the most recent, just plain old Fabricland Nylon for $6
It's attached to 4 corners with industrial velcro

If we don't like the black, the wife can come with me and we'll pick whatever shade of blue we want :wink:

Only drawback is if you splash water down the back. In your case it would be a permanent mess but maybe it'll give you some ideas ...

Do you have it on your tank right now? I checked your photos, and I can't tell.

The fabric idea is a pretty good one. I have a huge pile of remnants.

This paint is interesting:
http://www.krylon.com/products/looking_glass_mirror_like_paint

So is this:
http://www.krylon.com/products/frosted_glass_finish

Should we shake things up a bit and use one of those?

Nano
05-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Do you have it on your tank right now? I checked your photos, and I can't tell.

The fabric idea is a pretty good one. I have a huge pile of remnants.

This paint is interesting:
http://www.krylon.com/products/looking_glass_mirror_like_paint

So is this:
http://www.krylon.com/products/frosted_glass_finish

Should we shake things up a bit and use one of those?

Ive bought the chrome paint before, it doesn't dry really that reflective. its more of a silver. mind you I didnt use it on glass so the smooth surface could make all the differenct

gregzz4
05-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Yup, it's been on the tank since day one
If you look to the bottom left of this pic you can see where the light is reflecting off it as it's not touching the glass. It's attached to the trim

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01046.jpg

Enigma
05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Lord help me. He had wobbled on the paint before I even got home.

The issue has been revealed.

He wants a multicoloured SCENE background on the tank. And, he wants to be able to switch between a multitude of different backgrounds (when "we" get bored).

Maybe "we" can find something that isn't horribly tacky and cheesy, and won't detract from the corals and rock work? Maybe something that won't crush my dreams of having a TOTM worthy tank?

That's one of those "Do these jeans make my @$$ look fat?" questions. Don't even try to answer it.

So . . . no paint. We'll be using backgrounds taped on the back of the tank: as hubby is adamant about that being what he wants to do. If I'm fortunate I'll be able to work a black one into the rotation. The lighting "advantage" of not painting does appeal to me, so I will endeavour to find solace in that.

Nano
05-23-2012, 03:08 PM
why not try to find something natural looking like this, you can see the background is rock work, but seems to fade away into the blue
http://glassbox-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/uwe1.jpg

subman
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I would paint black....but I see thats not an option anymore soo what about color changing leds to light the wall behind it? If you really want to get fancy a false wall behind it to hide cords and the like.

reefgirl189
05-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Just to throw in my 2 cents...

I've got a blue vinyl background. Not once since set up did I say "that looks boring, I'm going to change it". If you get bored you tend to reaquascape or add a new fish or coral.

Just MHO... But I think the background will be the last thing you guys will think about once it's all set up and running.

Enigma
05-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I won't get bored with fish, corals, and inverts. I'm pretty sure when he says "when we get bored" he means when he gets bored. ;)

He just sent me the first background that he wants to use, so I can plot it up and send it out to get laminated.

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/AnglerLevel2Map07_1024.jpg

I am not thrilled about this, but I'll do it for him. I may need to change the position of the fish for him: as the overflow box is going in the middle.

Aquattro
05-23-2012, 09:02 PM
And you're adding rock to this tank?

Honestly, I think you'll not be happy with this. It will take away from the natural look of the tank, and unless you're doing a 10k ft deep tank theme, not even applicable to a reef.
Maybe get that made up in a sticker and he can put it on his car...

Enigma
05-23-2012, 09:25 PM
And you're adding rock to this tank?

Honestly, I think you'll not be happy with this. It will take away from the natural look of the tank, and unless you're doing a 10k ft deep tank theme, not even applicable to a reef.
Maybe get that made up in a sticker and he can put it on his car...

I am trying to remain optimistic. At least it isn't Sponge Bob?

I will be adding rock to this tank . . . perhaps more than I originally planned. I think I can mostly hide the "Anime Nasty" (direct quote from hubby) behind a pile of rock and corals. At least the bulk of the background is black. I can always arrange some sort of accident that destroys the background. But, I will humour him for the time being . . . it certainly will not be permanent.

It also occurred to me that my daisy polyps might grow on the back glass. Maybe coralline will take over the rear glass? I'm sure something will grow on it eventually. If I'm lucky?

This is what happened to the 10 gallon display while it was cycling:

http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/Iasgair/IMG-20120318-00088.jpg

He and our three-year-old love it. I tolerated that for about two weeks.

I may have to do up a tacky FW tank (complete with pirate-ship bubbler) for the boys (in the basement).

Nano
05-23-2012, 09:37 PM
:pound:

ah I feel for ya..
The wife wanted a sponge bob pineapple house in the SW tank. I said no, you can have any coral you want, but not that. :lol:

Enigma
05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
He said (after I moved the angler to avoid the overflow):

Perfect...

Pop Grayson in bathing suit on left, bobbing around.

"Grayson" is our three-year-old.

I said:
No!

He said:

Lol. Ok. You're done. Looks perfect.

At least I put my foot down with regards to something?

Oh! And, I get my Neptune Apex this weekend . . . and he didn't ask what it cost. I win. :D

Aquattro
05-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I win. :D

you're going to have a large ugly fish in your background, not sure I'd go so far as calling a "win" :)

Enigma
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
you're going to have a large ugly fish in your background, not sure I'd go so far as calling a "win" :)

:(

Nano
05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
no body wins in marriage :lol: My dad always says you have to make compromises... BOOOO

Enigma
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
no body wins in marriage :lol: My dad always says you have to make compromises... BOOOO

Just like in child rearing, the battles need to be chosen wisely.

Hubby often wanders around muttering "Happy wife . . . Happy life."

gregzz4
05-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Hubby often wanders around muttering "Happy wife . . . Happy life."
Remind him of this when you put your foot down and tell him the background will now be a solid color :razz:

Aquattro
05-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Remind him of this when you put your foot down and tell him the background will now be a solid color :razz:

Exactly. Followed by a few days of cold oatmeal for dinner :razz:

gregzz4
05-24-2012, 12:27 AM

Haha
Mom did avacado and cream cheese to the old man in his lunches way back when
His stand only lasted a couple days :wink:

Enigma
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Kitchen?! I'd be a dead woman. That's hubby's sacred space. :lol:

Haha
Mom did avacado and cream cheese to the old man in his lunches way back when
His stand only lasted a couple days :wink:

Hubby does the cooking. While I like to think I'm above using devious techniques for persuasion . . . I can think of one thing in particular that would get the point across. :twised:

gregzz4
05-24-2012, 09:43 PM
I can think of one thing in particular that would get the point across. :twised:
Ya, I agree, don't let him drive your car :wink:

Enigma
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Well, the issue has finally been resolved (and I did not have to resort to devious and underhanded tactics).

The back of the tank will be painted. But, Hubby can put his silly pictures on one end of the tank. They'll be easy for him to remove and swap out.

Where the tank will be positioned in the room I'll be looking at it straight on, but he'll be looking at it on an angle. He'll see he picture, and I'll see the back wall. I can remove it for photos. :lol:

Now it just has to come back from being drilled. We dropped it off a week ago. Haven't heard anything yet. I hope it is okay! Out of around 150 tanks drilled, he's only crack one: a much better record than ours. :o