PDA

View Full Version : Frag glue

JTrigger
03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
What types of frag glue are you guys using for SPS? Just wanted to get some feedback before I go out and get some frags this w/e.

JT

Samw
03-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I like Loctite gel.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/

kuatto
03-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Same here,works great,just dont get it on your fingers :redface:

StirCrazy
03-23-2004, 12:11 AM
I have started using a hot glue gun.

Steve

pocilipora
03-23-2004, 12:36 AM
I have started using a hot glue gun.

Steve Ive never tried the hot glue, how much of the frag dies from the heat?

StirCrazy
03-23-2004, 12:39 AM
I have only done 1 so far as a test (got the idea from someone else would did it will less die off than using putty) and all I got was a tiny little rim of die off above the glue. going to do 5 birds nest frags shortly here and see what happens with more than 1.

Steve

sumpfinfishe
03-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Wendell at Ocean Aquatics sells a super glue gel for $15, this stuff works great for all LPS and SPS fragging that I do.

Jack
03-23-2004, 01:54 AM
Thanks rich. It's loctite too.

LostMind
03-23-2004, 03:59 AM
Using the loctite to glue something down onto a small piece of rock that you can pull out of the tank and pat dry works great.

Trying to use the loctite to glue a frag to a rock underwater sucks :(

Not that the two part epoxy stick works any better.

Just doesnt seem to be an easy way to glue fags to your rockwork...

JohnM99
03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I have been told a "superglue sandwich" works well - tried it yesterday and it seemed good.

It is basically the 2 part epoxy with superglue (cyanoacrylate or loctite) on each side -
Make a plug of expoxy - take the coral and hold it upside down in the water with the base sticking out - dry the base with a towel - push the epoxy plug into the base to shape it - take it out and put a good covering of superglue on the area - the press it back into the coral base and hold it in place for a minute or so.

Then press the plug into the new "home" to shape it - again bring the coral base upside down out of the water - dry it - superglue again - and press it into its new home.

Helps to wear disposable gloves, and have 3 arms. Or a friend. Or a container to put the coral upside down in. Seems to work well - I used too much epoxy, but it will get covered with algae in time.

HTH
John

Son Of Skyline
03-23-2004, 03:02 PM
For underwater mounting, the "sandwich" idea that John mentions works great.

What I do is simple. Use superglue gel to glue the epoxy onto the frag on one end, and glue the epoxy to the rock on the other end.

Works every time... :biggrin:

LostMind
03-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Hmmm, seems a little strange to glue glue.

But I will give it a shot. My urchin keeps ripping up my frags anyways, so I have lots to glue down!

Son Of Skyline
03-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Hmmm, seems a little strange to glue glue.

Hehe...using glue to glue glue to a coral so u can glue it to a rock.

The idea is simple, epoxy can be shaped and molds well to hold frags upright, but doesn't stick. The superglue makes it stick.