PDA

View Full Version : Collection cup stained due to Tunze epoxy ?

gregzz4
05-20-2012, 12:10 AM
All the 'scaping is done, but now this
So how do I clean the stains from my cup ?
Do I run it in the sink with vinegar for awhile or what ?

gregzz4
05-20-2012, 12:52 AM
I won't be surprised with a limited amount of replies this long weekend

gregzz4
05-20-2012, 05:28 AM
No thoughts yet ?

apexifd
05-20-2012, 05:46 AM
yup... soak in vinegar solution over the next day or 2, then should come with quite easily.

gregzz4
05-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks, I was afraid of that
So, in other words, I have to take it off-line for a day or more to clean it ???

In that case, I may as well run it in a tub of vinegar, right ?

ScubaSteve
05-20-2012, 08:00 AM
If you can find it, there is a cleaner called Alconox. It's a white powder that comes in a milk carton like container. Mix 1 spoonful for a gallon of water (not tank water). Should clean the epoxy residue no problem with a bit of a scrub and washes away completely clean. I use it for cleaning serious crap off my glassware in my lab (like stuff that is considered very permanent) but the soap leaves zero residue.

If you can't find it, I can see if I have some left in my lab and I can toss you a bit.

gregzz4
05-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks Steve
I wouldn't have a clue where to find it as on the web all I see are Quebec and Ontario offices

What I have for staining is kinda like water marks on glass, ya follow ???
Except for the center of the cup where it's more like the epoxy color

I don't want to scrub the cup per se ( possibly scratching it ), but it would be nice to get it back to it's original clear look

Snaz
05-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't want to scrub the cup per se ( possibly scratching it ), but it would be nice to get it back to it's original clear look

Hehe that's funny. The only time a skimmer looks clean is in the car as you bring it home from the LFS. Skimmers are the most dirty, stinky and salt encrusted piece of hardware you will have.

gregzz4
05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Don't get me wrong
I expect it to be all ugly dirty, but what's on the cup right now has stained it
I bought it used and it was still clear then

gregzz4
05-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Well, yesterday I got all crazy with the collection cup and got it clean

What was on the inside of it was epoxy residue and I feel it was restricting it's function. I couldn't slide a wet finger over it due to how sticky it was
So, I cringed a little and cleaned it out with isopropyl alcohol. Then I washed it really well with vinegar, and finally water

It's working great now. Bubbles are rising and I can clean it out without scrubbing

I DONT recommend this as a solution for you all as it's really hard on the acrylic

lastlight
05-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Did that effect the transparency of the acrylic?

I ask because my top-down acrylic photo box is totally stained from having epoxy on my hands when I'm mounting frags.

gregzz4
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Hey Brett
No, it didn't affect the transparency at all, but it did leave 'evidence' internally, within the glass

I used 99% isopropyl alcohol 'cause that's what I had for cleaning glass before siliconing

It didn't melt the acrylic

Just test a piece first to judge your 'on' time

RuGlu6
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Did that effect the transparency of the acrylic?

I ask because my top-down acrylic photo box is totally stained from having epoxy on my hands when I'm mounting frags.

You know,... its a talant when you are mounting frags AND taking pictures?:lol:

lastlight
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
You know,... its a talant when you are mounting frags AND taking pictures?:lol:

Haha I used the viewer to help me with placement as I'm on a stepladder and up to my armpits sometimes when placing things :biggrin: