PDA

View Full Version : Reef Specific Gravity.

Dogmai
03-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Hello,

I have been looking around through the net and have found alot of different opinions on specific gravity of a reef tank. It seems FOWLR is a lot lower than a reef tank. What does everyone here think the specific gravity of a reef tank should be?

Thanks,
Mike.

Aquattro
03-22-2004, 02:10 PM
What does everyone here think the specific gravity of a reef tank should be?

It should be the same as a reef, 1.026. I'm not sure why there is even any question about it.

ghztew
03-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Quote from Reef Sources Guid:

"It is not the specific gravity that is so important, but that you consistently maintain your water at whichever level you adopt. So, if your hydrometer is off by .002, but you consistently maintain your salinity at 1.024, your animals will be fine. If it wanders all over the board, the osmotic changes will eventually stress your livestock, particularly the invertebrates. "

http://reefsources.itgo.com/guide/water.html

martym
03-23-2004, 01:21 AM
That's what I've been reading. Consistancy and stability is what you are after. I've read there is no proper number, but as close to sea water as possible is best. Ive also been told by a LFS that they keep there Sg at 1.014, because that is where their supplier keeps theirs ., to reduce parasites and it is cheaper. Reef definately would like that though. Like reef raf said 1.026 is good. Just keep it there.IMO

Aquattro
03-23-2004, 01:57 AM
In a reef, consistency doesn't do any good if it's consistently wrong. Ionic composition is dependent on salinity, which is 35ppt in natural seawater. This translates to 1.026 for our purposes, and it is at this point that we are able to maintain proper levels of Ca/alk, and other elements in our systems.
If someone needs to keep it lower to save money on salt, they picked the wrong hobby!! :rolleyes: If a natural reef is 1.026, why on earth would we arbitrarily decide to keep it different in our tanks?

martym
03-23-2004, 02:42 AM
that's what I said, not as direct as you though :eek: . and it was a LFS that keeps it low to match his supplier. The only reason he told me was because I asked when I bough a fish. Had to acclimitze it slowly. I keep my tank at 1.025-1.026. Still have problems with mag and calcium though. Young tank, but it's coming