PDA

View Full Version : Cyclying Bacteria Products -Need recommendation

DiverDude
05-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I finally had enough of my disaster of a tank and completely tore it apart yesterday.

It now has new sand, new base rock and 100% new water. All my livestock and coral is in a 10gal sitting on my dining room table so I need to cycle this sucker in as efficient a manner as is practical.

I'd like to add nitrifying bacteria and amonia and get fish into this in a few days.

There are a number of products out there for this but in the interest of avoiding any snake oil, I'd like to hear from people who had have success with this approach.

I'm in Calgary and would prefer to be able to pick-up whatever the stuff is, at a LFS here.

I'll start with the Prodibio Start Up. Anyone have success with this ? I haven't seen it locally....

Dr_Hicks
05-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I've had 100% success rate using Prodibio Startup, I've used it in my last 6 customer tanks and 3 personal tanks; and I am so happy with the product I will be using to get a 450gl coral flat running in a few weeks.

After using the proper dose of product I was able to add fish and coral to the tank right away ( as in same day )

Totally stand behind this product :-)

DiverDude
05-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Ok... Anyone else have experience with this or another product ?

PurpleMonkey
05-20-2012, 08:34 AM
I used MB7 in my mixed coral tank but I still have it 2 weeks before I started adding. I've used stability in my family and fish right after with no problems

DiverDude
05-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Let's change the question a bit then: what are people doing to cycle tanks these days ? - are most people still throwing a shrimp in the tank and waiting 6 weeks for it to cycle !?

daplatapus
05-20-2012, 02:36 PM
That's what I did, threw in 2 cocktail shrimp in 3 weeks. But if I had found a source of liquid ammonia I probably would have tried that first. A slower but just as effective way would be to ghost feed your tank every day.

FitoPharmer
05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
If it is real live rock, I use nothing. Just slowly stock up once your numbers are good.

If it was mostly base rock and a small amount of live rock I might add a piece of shrimp then.

My question for the people using Prodibio Startup and other products. Did you add your products after your cycle to help add more fish right away? Or before to help speed the cycling process for your rocks? Or both?

Aquattro
05-20-2012, 02:40 PM
When you say "new rock", what does that mean? Dry rock? Newly imported live rock? Or cycled rock form LFS or other source?

Slider777
05-20-2012, 02:42 PM
I used Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying bacteria. I added ammonia which was included with the order to move things along. Worked well, I was done my cycle in about 2 weeks.

Arok3000
05-20-2012, 02:47 PM
He did already say new base rock.

Aquattro
05-20-2012, 02:51 PM
He did already say new base rock.

Yes, which means different things to different people. For me, new base rock is the crappy cheaper stuff at the bottom of the tub at the LFS. To others, they think of it as marco rock, etc...

DiverDude
05-20-2012, 03:34 PM
When you say "new rock", what does that mean? Dry rock? Newly imported live rock? Or cycled rock form LFS or other source?

Dry base rock from Eco Reefer

DiverDude
05-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I used Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying bacteria. I added ammonia which was included with the order to move things along. Worked well, I was done my cycle in about 2 weeks.

I saw this on a Mr. Saltwater Tank episode but I have serious doubts as to his impartiality. I also red a bunch of reviews on the product and a big chunk of them claimed it did nothing. In my book, that means that either it's snake oil or at least tricky to use somehow.

albert_dao
05-20-2012, 05:28 PM
You can do what I always do - Add sand/liverock, hit it up with Zeobak, ammonia and a craptonne of VSV, wait for bacterial bloom to clear and bam, instant cycled tank.

Enigma
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I used the "Tank Buster" from piesces and their "Step 2" product with the Eco-Reefer rock. I added fish food to cycle.

It worked, though there may be better products available.

Slider777
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I saw this on a Mr. Saltwater Tank episode but I have serious doubts as to his impartiality. I also red a bunch of reviews on the product and a big chunk of them claimed it did nothing. In my book, that means that either it's snake oil or at least tricky to use somehow.

I read some of those reviews as well, they are abundant on reef central, however I think you can attribute a great deal of them to people's inability to accept change. I got the feeling many of them were stuck in their ways, but I mean if they prefer the traditional method, and you don't mind waiting a whole month or more, go for it. Another interesting fact is Dr Tim wrote his doctoral thesis on the bacteria that exist within marine aquariums, you can even search for it and read it if you feel so inclined. So if the man creating this has a PH.D in the subject matter he must know something about what he is creating. Again it worked well for me, no tricks, you can even read the instructions online, but to each their own.

I also had the eco reefer rock to start, so I had nothing, in terms of beneficial bacteria, until I added this product.

DiverDude
05-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm in the same boat. I agree that when it comes to people's opinions in products like this that there is an element of those who just don't WANT it to work. Add to that a component of users who just don't follow directions properly and you have reason to doubt some of them.

This product is drop dead simple to use though -just pour in the contents of the bottle so you've gotta wonder who can manage to screw that up :razz:

DiverDude
05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
You can do what I always do - Add sand/liverock, hit it up with Zeobak, ammonia and a craptonne of VSV, wait for bacterial bloom to clear and bam, instant cycled tank.

Ok, I'll bite.... What's "VSV" ?

RedCoralEdmonton
05-20-2012, 10:18 PM
VSV vodka, sugar, vinegar....

As for Prodibio Start Up, that is what i would use, I have used it myself on many a customers tanks and it is great stuff, although im not sure if I would use it on dry rock, half the box is the bacteria, and the other half is ammonia blocking plant extracts, this works great with live rock that must have die off, I think you would be better off with a box of Prodibio Bio Digest, and just dump in the Start up amount....

Ive never been brave enough to put it in and put fish in within 24 hours like they say, but i have waited 5 days and put in chromis and every time the tank was good to go. Waited a week and then stocked the tank regularly....

Steve

Dr_Hicks
05-21-2012, 01:01 AM
If it is real live rock, I use nothing. Just slowly stock up once your numbers are good.

If it was mostly base rock and a small amount of live rock I might add a piece of shrimp then.

My question for the people using Prodibio Startup and other products. Did you add your products after your cycle to help add more fish right away? Or before to help speed the cycling process for your rocks? Or both?

Day one,

Add water,

Add Prodibio

Add Rock

Add Fish & Coral..

..... Enjoy tank.

habs247
05-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Slider - from where did you order the Dr Tim's? I've had a tough time finding it north of the border.

Slider777
05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
I ordered it from Dr Tim's website. They had a sale on when I ordered it so it wasn't that expensive. Keep an eye on the website, they rotate through the sales on all their products.

freezetyle
05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Slider - from where did you order the Dr Tim's? I've had a tough time finding it north of the border.

if anyone of the LFS in town orders from quality marine they should be able to bring in a bottle for you

FitoPharmer
05-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Day one,

Add water,

Add Prodibio

Add Rock

Add Fish & Coral..

..... Enjoy tank.
Sounds like pretty powerful stuff. I will check it out.

Would you do that even if your rock smells very bad and is encrusted in dead stuff?

DiverDude
05-23-2012, 06:39 PM
So in the end I decided to try the Prodibio Startup (largely because Red Coral had it on the shelf).

It's been 3 days now and tonight I plan on doing a full spectrum of water tests. I'll adjust params and hope to have livestock in the tank by the weekend.

I'll report back on the results.

albert_dao
05-24-2012, 02:14 AM
So in the end I decided to try the Prodibio Startup (largely because Red Coral had it on the shelf).

It's been 3 days now and tonight I plan on doing a full spectrum of water tests. I'll adjust params and hope to have livestock in the tank by the weekend.

I'll report back on the results.

Unless your rock was disgusting and you threw in a bunch of NH4, your parameters are probably going to test just fine and dandy.

Just sayin...

DiverDude
05-25-2012, 04:20 PM
In theory, the params should be pretty much inline with my salt (reef crystals). And, for the most part, they seem to be:

pH 8.0
Mg 1000
NO2 0
NO3 0
Alk 2.5 meq/l
Ca 375
NH3 <0.25

Added a schwck of Mg last night and will do Alk today. Ca tomorrow and fish go in on Sunday.

Fingers crossed

Dr_Hicks
05-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Sounds like pretty powerful stuff. I will check it out.

Would you do that even if your rock smells very bad and is encrusted in dead stuff?

No I would not, the stuff is not magic; it's going to have limitations for sure, the instructions on the prodibio products are "best case scenario" so loading you're new tank with a bunch of rock that has been travelling to you for a few days is not ideal; in my opinion. However I believe you could follow the instructions on the product and have speed up a cycle process if you are using less than ideal rock.

habs247
05-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Anyone use MB7 to cycle? If so, get ready for a dumb question.

I've started dosing as per the instructions for a new tank on listed on the bottle.

Do I need an accompanying food source? Or is just the MB7 fine? I've done a few searches and I have yet to stumble upon an answer.

Thanks!

albert_dao
05-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Anyone use MB7 to cycle? If so, get ready for a dumb question.

I've started dosing as per the instructions for a new tank on listed on the bottle.

Do I need an accompanying food source? Or is just the MB7 fine? I've done a few searches and I have yet to stumble upon an answer.

Thanks!

Use it with VSV and just watch your algae and NH4/NO3 for a litmus.

habs247
05-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks Albert. I'm going to go digging for some info on cycling with MB7 and VSV.

Any problems if I have mostly base Marco rock?

albert_dao
05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
You might get a bacterial bloom. Just make sure your skimmer is running and check your potassium after it clears.

Enigma
05-28-2012, 12:40 PM
I would add an ammonia source: meaty fish food is what I've used in the past. The whole VSV thing is too fancy for me. ;)