PDA

View Full Version : BRAND NEW maxi jet burnt out

rusty shackleford
05-19-2012, 06:45 PM
i just got a tlf reator and maxi jet, set it up and less then 24 hours later the pump seems to be burnt out.

did i miss something? i restricted the flow with the ball valve so the media was tumbling.

im pretty sure this pump is ****ed but anything you can tell me so i dont kill another one would be great

gregzz4
05-19-2012, 06:49 PM
I've never used your setup, so not much help there
Your ball valve was between the pump and reactor, or after the reactor, right ?

Snaz
05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
How much did you have to restrict the flow? If the impeller is spinning but fresh water is not flowing over it the whole unit will overheat and fail. If this is the case then a smaller pump would be the solution.

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
the cobalt ones are made in china, they're junk, check the impellar and see if there are any vanes left on it

rusty shackleford
05-19-2012, 07:02 PM
just pulled it out and found all the blades on the impeller snapped off......

its in my sump with no sand, snails or anything else to get sucked into it & i used the strainer on the intake.

any ideas ?

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 07:22 PM
i had 1 of the cobalts that i got with a BRS reactor, lasted @ 2 days

MOPS still has some of the 900 & 600 Italian made ones in stock, and some of the good impellars or get a differeny brand

rusty shackleford
05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
well i got it at J&L , an hours drive away. so im worried if i get a replacement its gonna happen again after a day....

cause if the next one sh!ts out on me im gonna lose it

gregzz4
05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Call them and tell them what happened, and then ask them to check if they have a 'made in italy' replacement in stock

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 08:46 PM
the chinese impellars are white, the italian ones are black

rusty shackleford
05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
who makes orange impellers ?
i wanna be mad at the right country :biggrin:

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 08:58 PM
which pump is it, mine was a 1200, had a white impellar, i think all the italian ones are black

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 09:02 PM
if it's a cobalt maxijet you need to be mad at china

rusty shackleford
05-19-2012, 09:08 PM
its a 400.

"Call them and tell them what happened, and then ask them to check if they have a 'made in italy' replacement in stock"

im gonna replace the whole pump, when the impeller broke the blades jammed it up not lettin it spin so it might have damaged the motor

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 09:33 PM
MOPS has 400 & 600 Italian made in stock, I believe that once the stock is gone they are gone.

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/maxi-power-heads-c-1_86_142.html

rusty shackleford
05-19-2012, 11:09 PM
thanks, im gonna be replacing the pump on monday for a new one and order a better impeller.

this sucks though, just got the reactor yesterday and now i cant use it.
it like when a kid gets a toy and "batteries are not included"

Cal_stir
05-19-2012, 11:14 PM
espacially when the bateries are an hour away, i'm in the same boat, closest LFS is 90 minutes.

pinkreef
05-20-2012, 03:27 AM
Now That's funny !

pinkreef
05-20-2012, 03:30 AM
who makes orange impellers ?
i wanna be mad at the right country :biggrin:

Now that's funny !

paddyob
05-20-2012, 01:39 PM
just pulled it out and found all the blades on the impeller snapped off......

its in my sump with no sand, snails or anything else to get sucked into it & i used the strainer on the intake.

any ideas ?

Restricted flow will not break the blades off. No chance.

Something definitely got inside.

I highly doubt that the retailer is going to cover physical damage like that.

Worth a try anyhow.

As for asking for made in Italy. Good luck. Long gone.

paddyob
05-20-2012, 01:43 PM
MOPS has 400 & 600 Italian made in stock, I believe that once the stock is gone they are gone.

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/maxi-power-heads-c-1_86_142.html

These are not going to run your tlf with pellets.

I tried. I run a 1200 full bore and its great. Also the old model though.

The new ones are junk.

Go get a new hydor nano pump. I have three and they are solid. Good price too. Made in Italy.

Snaz
05-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Restricted flow will not break the blades off. No chance.

Something definitely got inside.

I highly doubt that the retailer is going to cover physical damage like that.

Worth a try anyhow.

As for asking for made in Italy. Good luck. Long gone.

I am not a pump expert but in an impeller type pump if flow is restricted too much or trying to lift past it's max head will it not cause cavitation and "not normal" water motion resulting in all kinds of water forces that could bend a shaft or break off a blade?

paddyob
05-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I am not a pump expert but in an impeller type pump if flow is restricted too much or trying to lift past it's max head will it not cause cavitation and "not normal" water motion resulting in all kinds of water forces that could bend a shaft or break off a blade?

I have 4 little pumps... running a HOB fuge and reactors... all restricted but one. Never had a blade break.

Also not a "pump expert", so I guess anything is possible, but it would surprise me.

rusty shackleford
05-20-2012, 08:10 PM
j&l replaced the pump, no questions asked.
i cant say im 100% sure nothing got into it, but its in a section of my sump with no snails, sand only thing in that section is my skimmer.
and my over flow box has a filter sponge on it, never see any solids in there.
i didnt think restricted flow could do it either, i thought it was more likely it burnt out the motor

sisters bringing the new one out tomorrow and ill give it a try again, hopfully there will be no issues but im never gonna have full confidence in it after the first POS crapped out.

kole
05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Paddyop The hydors are powerheads only or is there another one I don't know exists? You can't run reactors with these.

Enigma
05-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Paddyop The hydors are powerheads only or is there another one I don't know exists? You can't run reactors with these.

Hydor makes little circulation pumps. They are tiny little things. They cost a bit more than the Maxi Jet pumps, but they're still easy on the wallet.