PDA

View Full Version : coral war ?

cityreefer
05-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Never have had to really deal with this kind of thing before but i think my corals are firghting wiht each other.
i have a 34gal redsea max been up and running for 3 years
have 2 clown, 6 line, blue cromis.
for corals cabbage leather, toadstool, frogspwan, xenia coral, GSP, and some asst zoos, colt coral

so about 2 weeks ago the colt coral is looking really bad fallin down and changed color from pinkish to a neon green and every one of them in the tank look like they are dieing?

is this the corals fighting wiht eachother or is this someting else, i have had the corals in the tank together for over a year.

anyhelp would be great.

Nano
05-19-2012, 05:33 PM
What are your water parameters

jtbadco
05-19-2012, 05:38 PM
some corals will sting each other but it would be in one spot usually. If it happening at different place in the tank then I would look for something systemic.

Let us know your temp, salinity, Am, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and calcium, mag, alk, phosphates if you have them.

Proteus
05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Are you running carbon

With leathers I wouldn't go without

cityreefer
05-19-2012, 06:54 PM
my temp, salinity, Am, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH,
78f 0.024 0 0 0 8.5

i am not running carbon i cant remember the last time i used carbon in this tank.

jtbadco
05-19-2012, 06:57 PM
pH seems a little high to me but I am pretty new to SW

not sure if this would have any effect

Nano
05-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah its just high. I hear 8-8.4 is target range.. could be mistaken. But I'm sure there is more to it then that

Mike-fish
05-19-2012, 08:57 PM
some carbon and a couple water changes will help greatly i think. have you changed anything recently

daniella3d
05-19-2012, 09:29 PM
0 nitrates? are you dosing someting like vodka or another source of carbon to get your nitrates to 0? if so, it might just be that your water is too low in nutrients and the corals are starving.

Also in a tank that is ultra low nutrient, it is best to keep the alkalnity near seawater level, so not higher than 8.

Never have had to really deal with this kind of thing before but i think my corals are firghting wiht each other.
i have a 34gal redsea max been up and running for 3 years
have 2 clown, 6 line, blue cromis.
for corals cabbage leather, toadstool, frogspwan, xenia coral, GSP, and some asst zoos, colt coral

so about 2 weeks ago the colt coral is looking really bad fallin down and changed color from pinkish to a neon green and every one of them in the tank look like they are dieing?

is this the corals fighting wiht eachother or is this someting else, i have had the corals in the tank together for over a year.

anyhelp would be great.

cityreefer
05-19-2012, 10:37 PM
0 nitrates? are you dosing someting like vodka or another source of carbon to get your nitrates to 0? if so, it might just be that your water is too low in nutrients and the corals are starving.

Also in a tank that is ultra low nutrient, it is best to keep the alkalnity near seawater level, so not higher than 8.

i think you are right, i do water changes every week as i try to keep algae at bay.

cityreefer
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
i moved the cabbage leather higher up on the rock work in front of the power head outlet not sure if that is what might be casing the colts to die off.