PDA

View Full Version : Raising dKH in 12g Nano

Snaz
05-18-2012, 12:30 AM
I bought and tested for the first time a dKh test kit. My 12g nano is at 5.1 dKH so it needs to come up a couple of points.

I have zero experience with dKH but I know it must be raised slowly. My tank is display and three compartments behind a false wall, no sump.

Corals looks ok, sps is new to me(six weeks) and while there is PE the growth on two pieces is rather slow or no growth. How best to raise this please? Any hazards?

Reefie
05-18-2012, 01:09 AM
What brand of Alk Test Kit did you buy? There are a few unreliable kits out there. I use either the Hanna Colorimeter or the ELOS kit.

From what I've learned you have to raise Alk very VERY slowly. Do it through Water Changes weekly. The alternative is to drip small amounts daily and slowly bring Alk up throughout a week or so.

Did you test your new Saltwater before WC's?

Snaz
05-18-2012, 02:38 AM
What brand of Alk Test Kit did you buy? There are a few unreliable kits out there. I use either the Hanna Colorimeter or the ELOS kit.

From what I've learned you have to raise Alk very VERY slowly. Do it through Water Changes weekly. The alternative is to drip small amounts daily and slowly bring Alk up throughout a week or so.

Did you test your new Saltwater before WC's?

I am using the Salifert titration kit. There is a test mixture of dKH 6.1 which I am able to test exactly too so I trust my method is good. I do weekly 10% water changes with Instant Ocean. I am due for a water change in a few days so I will test the fresh mix then.

Snaz
05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
I am using the Salifert titration kit. There is a test mixture of dKH 6.1 which I am able to test exactly too so I trust my method is good. I do weekly 10% water changes with Instant Ocean. I am due for a water change in a few days so I will test the fresh mix then.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator

I found this page and with baking soda I raised my dKH from 5.1 to 5.7 I have a batch of salt water mixing overnight and I will measure the dKH of that tomorrow.

Snaz
05-18-2012, 07:14 PM
This morning dKH in the tank was still 5.7 and the fresh mix of IO was dKH 9.3 which I think is accurate. I did a 10% water change and then dKH in the tank measured 6.7

This is a raise of more than 1 dKH point in 18 hours which is probably on the outside of the comfortable curve but fish and coral look fine.

Reefie
05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Any updates on the Alk?

Snaz
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Any updates on the Alk?

I have been adding 1/8 of a teaspoon of baking soda every morning to raise the dKH from 5.7 to 6.7 which is still low but the corals look a lot better. I don't have a Ca test kit yet but I can't see that being the issue as I do weekly water changes.

For now it's daily baking soda until I can get a better history and understanding as to what is happening.

Enigma
05-31-2012, 03:00 PM
What has happened to your pH with the baking soda dosing?

Snaz
05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
What has happened to your pH with the baking soda dosing?

The pH might drop briefly but when I test for pH and dKH thirty minutes after dosing it is fine.

gregzz4
06-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Snaz, you've been at this a lot longer than me, but ...
I'm surprised you don't have a Ca test kit
Also, what's your Mag @ ?

IMO, sounds like your WCs aren't keeping up to your corals, but only more testing will show

Snaz
06-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Snaz, you've been at this a lot longer than me, but ...
I'm surprised you don't have a Ca test kit
Also, what's your Mag @ ?

IMO, sounds like your WCs aren't keeping up to your corals, but only more testing will show

Until the LED upgrade I didn't take sps seriously. I saw the salifert dKH test kit at OA add picked it up and was surprised to find out how low my dKH was. I have been dosing a little bit of sodium bicarbonate for a couple of weeks now and noticed an improvement in most all corals specifically my zoas.

I'll buy Ca and Mg kits soon. Any suggestions as to brand?

reefwars
06-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Until the LED upgrade I didn't take sps seriously. I saw the salifert dKH test kit at OA add picked it up and was surprised to find out how low my dKH was. I have been dosing a little bit of sodium bicarbonate for a couple of weeks now and noticed an improvement in most all corals specifically my zoas.

I'll buy Ca and Mg kits soon. Any suggestions as to brand?

i like the elos kits for ca and mg i also like it for nitrate:):)

Reefie
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
i like the elos kits for ca and mg i also like it for nitrate:):)

+1 for ELOS

I've got the ELOS and Hanna Colorimeters, I've found the ELOS Ca test kit to be more accurate than the Hanna.

Now only if I used them both regularly......