PDA

View Full Version : Frag growth

JTrigger
03-22-2004, 04:58 AM
Just wondering.. I'm new with SPS and wanted to know how long your average frag takes to grow from a 2" frag into a decent sized colony? I realize acros and whatnot grow faster.. but say on the average... I'm probably mostly interested in acros and montipora sp. Thx!

JT

StirCrazy
03-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Just wondering.. I'm new with SPS and wanted to know how long your average frag takes to grow from a 2" frag into a decent sized colony? I realize acros and whatnot grow faster.. but say on the average... I'm probably mostly interested in acros and montipora sp. Thx!

JT

define "decent sized colony"

Steve

JTrigger
03-22-2004, 05:05 AM
I dunno... something with like 4-5 stalks in it.. that are least 3"?

StirCrazy
03-22-2004, 05:12 AM
depending on the type could be 1 month (digitata in ideal conditions) to 1 year. realy hard to pin down.

Steve

LostMind
03-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Well, I have only had my tank running for less then a year...

But, I have montipora digitata that has tripled or qradrupled in size in just a few months.

I have a montipora cap that has doubled in 4 months.

I have an acropora sumpin or other that hasnt grown much at all - half a centimeter? - in 3 months, another acropora (green one) that has doubled in size in a month... etc.

Maybe if you could pin down what types of coral, people could maybe make an estimate :)

JTrigger
03-22-2004, 06:19 AM
I think mostly along the lines of:

1. Montipora caps
2. Montipora digitata
3. Staghorn acros

Thx for all the input so far!

JTrigger
03-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Just as a side note, ... do any of these guys tend to bleach more often under MHs than others? I had read a few threads about people's experiences with some of these species bleaching or turning brown under MH.

JT

LostMind
03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I have all three of those guys, and they all coloured up nicely when I upgraded my metal halides to 400w.

And, all three of those grow really fast. I have a blue tip staghorn from shao that has grown a couple inches in just a few months.