PDA

View Full Version : RO Water in YYC

RipCurl
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi All,

I am using RO water that is bought at SafeWay for my reef tank. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a better quality water?

I live in Calgary, SW

Much appreciated.

Tristan

Coralgurl
05-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Before buying an RO unit for my house, I was buying water from Water Solutions, but they are in the NE. My RO unit has already paid for itself in less than a year with travel time, loading jugs of water around, returning, etc. Bought mine from Red Coral for around $145 (I can't honestly remember the cost, but it wasn't outrageous! Mine is only RO, not RO/DI.

Dlo132
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I know a few people on here with pretty amazing tanks that just treat tap water with water conditioner and let it stir for a day before they use it. I can't remember the name, but seachem makes it.

DiverDude
05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Seachem makes "Prime" which is a water conditioner. I have not used it but with Calgary's hard water, I wouldn't use it here.

CoralGurl said it and I agree completely. Buy an RO/DI unit and be done with it. You have control over your water and you'll save a bundle.

RipCurl
05-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the insight everyone. RO/DI filtration unit will be bought eventually. However, in the meantime.... I'll need to do a water change.
I no longer want to use SafeWay RO water. I would like to get RO/DI water. Where is the best place to buy it in the SW?

Coralgurl
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't know that you can buy ro/di water....like I said, I bought mine at Water Solutions and it was either RO or DI they sold. Give them a call. Culligan is also in the NE but they both do offer delivery service.

RipCurl
05-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok Thanks! I didn't know it was one or the other.... I'm currently using Culligan RO water. I appreciate all of your insight.:lol:

DiverDude
05-17-2012, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=RipCurl;717414]Thanks for the insight everyone. RO/DI filtration unit will be bought eventually. /QUOTE]

I'd resist the temptation to put it off. I did and after 2 months of owning the tank, I'd spent half of what my whole RO/DI system cost. the sooner you buy it, the more you'll save. I probably should have bought it before I bought the tank !

RipCurl
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
You're absolutely right! However, I'll be moving shortly so I do not want to bring it with me amongst everyhting else.. It will be on my list for the new house.

Coralgurl
05-17-2012, 08:57 PM
How big is your tank?

RipCurl
05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
its a 65 galon tank

Madmak
05-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I believe the NE Big Al's sells RO/DI water or premix NSW that would compare or be better than RO alone. Worth a phone call for a water change on a 65.

Coralgurl
05-17-2012, 10:42 PM
On my 55 gl tank, I was blowing through 5-6 5gl jugs of water every 2 weeks which included a water change, I would assume you are about the same? When we first started the tank, we were using untreated (gasp) tapwater for about 5 months then, switched over to ro from the store for 3, then bought my own unit. You'll get tired of hauling water, or needing some in an emergency and not having it available (happened to me). I had set up an emergency tank and then the water hauling got annoyingly painful as I was going through 6-8 in a week, that sealed the deal to get the unit.....Mine was set up under the kitchen sink, then relocated to the basement, was a pretty simple move but that's easy for me to say, I just supervised! :razz:

DiverDude
05-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Being able to handle emergencies is a big plus too. My current tank is pretty small (35G) but I still keep 40-50 Gal of water (and at least 1 extra bucket of salt) on hand at all times in case something goes very wrong.

burgerchow
05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
or you can use the " tap water purifier" made by aquarium pharmaceuticals. Attaches to your tap and makes perfectly clean water.

Not as cheap as a real r/o unit, but for the time being should work good.

about $50 and should make a couple hundred gallons of water.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ro-aptwp

Enigma
05-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I was using the "Great Value" distilled water from Walmart before I purchased my RO/DI unit.