PDA

View Full Version : Using local macro algae (BC) in a refugium?

windcoast reefs
05-16-2012, 06:50 AM
So I was at the beach today and saw a bunch of macro algae that was in a tide pool. The water was probably close to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Does anyone see any potential obstacles for using this macro algae in a refugium? Has anyone done it as well?

FitoPharmer
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Some algae is extremely variable with its acceptable temperature level. Some species can grow in the arctic or the tropics. There are other contamination concerns as well, however I would imagine much less then in a tropic area.

Aquattro
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
The local stuff will have absorbed all the toxins from run off, not a good idea to add it to a reef. And average temp is well below 75, so tropical temps would probably kill it. No real good reason to use it at all.

anthonystraus
05-16-2012, 03:34 PM
It may not work out for you...but if I were in your situation and had some space for another small tank I would bring it home and try it out in its own nano. Make a little quarantine tank for it and experiment. Man I wish I lived near the ocean...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I agree. I would test it out in its own (separate) tank first to see if it survives reef temperatures and/or releases anything into the water. If you just added it into your fuge and it melts, your nutrient load would jump and you may be adding toxins to your display. Much better to play it safe if you're going to attempt it. Most of our macroalgaes have evolved for cold water survival, and even the tide pool varieties are adapted for that (only a short warm period around here).

Aquattro
05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I gotta ask why? There are so many suitable macros available, probably free for the asking. With the crap I see along the shoreline, I wouldn't ever think of adding it to my tank.

burgerchow
05-16-2012, 11:56 PM
they wouldn't live much longer than a couple of weeks. Need a coldwater tank, that means chiller to maintain about 50-55 degrees F.

I actually kept a barnacle covered rock in a sw tank ( about 15 yrs ago) and it managed to live about a month. Really cool to watch the barnacles open up and the tongues come out.

Delphinus
05-17-2012, 01:05 AM
I would recommend against even trying. Unless you are very knowledgeable about the various seaweed species along the coasts and their various tolerances (there are some good books on the topic, I looked into this myself when I first got into the hobby) or unless if you are trying a coldwater tank. The problem is a lot of them can release enough toxins to kill everything if for example they get too warm. A few years back I found a really good book on the subject, I'll see if I can find it and post the title, it makes for an interesting read particularly if you're into finding out "what is this whatzit" that you can find on shoreline walks..

Delphinus
05-17-2012, 01:06 AM
http://books.google.ca/books?id=Wk8VAQAAIAAJ&dq=related:ISBN0127415505

windcoast reefs
05-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Thanks everyone, it was more just a question to see if anyone has ever tried it!