PDA

View Full Version : Is there much difference between Reeflo hybrids and gold pumps?

rastaangel
05-15-2012, 10:15 PM
I am looking for a high flow pump to plan for my new tank and have came to the concusion that a reeflo pump is prob the best flow/price pumps.
So my question is is there a huge difference in quality or construction between reeflos hybrid and gold pumps? I am looking for around 4000gph so a Dart would fit the bill but is it worth the extra $130 to get a Super Dart Gold VS a Snapper/Dart hybrid and use the Dart conversion?

sphelps
05-15-2012, 10:46 PM
From my understanding the major advantage of the gold versions is they tend to be quieter. If noise isn't a major issue it may not be worth while but personally I find the regular Darts to be too noisy for living room type setting.

Cal_stir
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
I also believe the gold has a better seal, I have 2 darts, one has the big baldor motor and one has the smaller finned baldor motor(I believe it's the same as the gold motor), both are excellent pumps, the hybrids I've seen have a an even smaller AO Smith motor, personnally I don't like that motor. I would get the regular Dart, I don't think the gold is worth an extra 130 clams.
However, they seem to be constantly changing things up and you don't always get what you see on a website, so maybe get an actual pic or see for yourself.
Love my darts.

rastaangel
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Well having a pump that makes as much noise as a mack truck going up hill wouldnt be very good as it will be in my living room... But I do plan on lining the inside of the stand with 3/4" or 1" styrofoam to reduce as much noise as possible and keep moisture off the wood