PDA

View Full Version : New Tank, all the toys looking for everyone's input!

Gizmoh
05-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Hey Guys and Gals!

I am currently starting the planning stage of my new 48x30x20 custom build tank! I am looking for input of all shapes and forms! What kind of toy brands you use for pskimmers pumps power heads reactors! I am also looking for stocking ideas, currently ideas I am toying with are a Midas Gobie ( I would like two if I can get a male and a female ) and a trio of Ventrallis Anthias. Any ideas are welcome. I will also be using the Neptune Apex Controller system, which is a first for me, so tips here would be awesome. Finally has anyone used the Genisis systems? I would like some feedback on that as well! Sorry for cramming this all into one thread, just looking to generate some excitement!

Also had read an article where they highlighted a tank with the same specs housing a yellow, purple and Naso tang happily, interesting.

Thanks everyone in advance for your awesomeness!:smile:

ScubaSteve
05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Welcome to canreef! And good by to your wallet in this planning stage :razz:

In terms of fish, if you can find a pair of midas bennies already paired, that's a great idea. But since it's nearly impossible to sex them, trying to pair them on your own would end in disaster. You'd have to look long and hard for a pair.

As for ventralis anthias... Unless you are very experience with anthias I would highly recommend staying away from these guys until you're ready. Normally I encourage people to try new fish and ideas but this is one fish this is a real challenge. First, they're incredibly expensive. Second, they're a deep water fish and often suffer from decompression issues, so they don't last long. Third, because they're a deep water fish they like dark, deep water style tanks. Most deep water anthias can be acclimated to brighter tanks, this one, however, doesn't acclimate as readily and will be stressed. Finally, they ar a finicky eater in every sense of the word... That is if you even get them to take a nibble.

For less troublesome but equally beautiful anthias, check out the Pseudanthias resplendens, Pseudanthias parvirostris, Nemanthias carberryi, pseudanthias evansi, pseudanthias Lori and Pseudanthias bartlettorum. Because of the size of your tank you may be able to keep a small schooling harem of anthias. I would recommend the Carberryi, Evansi or resplendens for this as they're most peaceful. Bartletts are hardy as heck but in a harem they may all try to kill each other to reach the top of the pecking order (bartletts have a propensity to change into males and challenge the top male). Something interesting to note is that Midas blennies will school with the anthias species I mentioned. If you want a fish a bit more challenging with similar behavior to the ventralis, look at the Fathead/Sunburst Anthias.

As for tangs, you could probably keep the yellow and the purple but stay away from the nasos. They're a big fish that only keepgetting bigger and bigger. They need length more than just volume. Be careful mentioning the Tangword arou d these parts.

One thing you didn't mention is the style of tank: fish only? Soft corals? Lps? SPS? Your equipment requirements will change depending on the livestock you are planning for

Gizmoh
05-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you Scuba Steve for this excellent information, and ya I have already kissed my wallet goodbye lol :p I am hoping to do an sps dominated tank as my current system is Los/softy. What do you think of a powder brown and a purple!? Thanks again! And ya on the Anthias I have been doing some reading on the Anya's primers on reef central and will be looking into this further before any final decisions are made. Also a big angel fan but worried about nipping.

Bblinks
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Very nice set up you are planning to have, I love the deep demension tanks. It's gonna open so much aquascaping posibilties that a narrow tank just can't match.

As far as equipment goes I made more mistakes on cheaper under rated stuff that I can count so please don't waste any money on cheap stuff, you will end up replacing it in the very near future anyways.

For me a quality skimmer is on the top of the list, it is the beating heart of mine entire system. I have a BBK supermarin 250 and I just love it. I went from coralife to hydor to vertex to bbk mini and finally arriving at the current model. If I would've just went to my current model now I would've saved couple of thousands of dollars.

Once the skimmer is picked then lighting and water movement, Led is the future... New models almost arrive daily but this is where it gets tricky. I have AI sols and they do wonders on my tank, but they are not "full spectrum". I would wait for the newer models to come out before making any purchases.

I use Tunze 6105 for water movement due there reliabilty and low noise factor. It is a bit unsightful to have a largerer power head in the tank but I rather see the power head then to hear it. It also comes with 2 different gates for wide or narrow flow.

Apex controller has a really tough instruction booklet to understand, well not as bad as profilux but still bad. There is an unofficial guide online you can get and it explains everything in details which I highly recommand you to have a look.

Live stock is totally up to you, I love sps for corals, wrasses and tangs for fishes. I think you can keep some tangs but keep it to a few smaller sizes ones like yellow or purple or maybe a powder brown. Once those tangs starts to grow, they can become waste stations. I have a 6 inch naso tang that has a lot more to grow and the waste it produces is equivalent to 10 or more wrasses. In the recent month I started to really get into wrasses, I swear once you get in you just can't get out. Amazing colors and ample amount of choices.

Anyways looking forward for the build. Good luck and have fun!

ScubaSteve
05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
If you like SPS and angels, take a look at John Coppelino's (Copps) tank.http://vimeo.com/13564370

He's been TOTM over at Reef Central and number of times, so go over there for more info on his tanks.

Gizmoh
05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow! What a tank, that's a beauty! And thanks bblinks for all the input. What do you think of the octopus skimmers? I was thinking of going that way with the ecotech pumps, little fish phosban reactor, and I am not sure if I am going to do calcium reactor or dosing yet. I was thinking of going with 10xT5 as I don't have a lot of clearance over the tank for the lights to sit above the tank, how far above the water level do most LEDs need to be?

O and I really need a good quite return internal or external any input there? My Mag is really loud

Tracey2
05-15-2012, 09:28 PM
I love copps tanks but your video won't load for me.

Bblinks
05-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Wow! What a tank, that's a beauty! And thanks bblinks for all the input. What do you think of the octopus skimmers?
I have never used an octopus skimmer so I can't really comment on it, I think bulkreefsupply sells them, maybe check out the reviews and go from there. I am still leaning towards either a vertex cone 250 (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt-psa250/Vertex+Alpha+Cone+250+In-Sump+Protein+Skimmer+-+Up+to+350+Gallons.html) or bbk mini 200 (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ps-rebkm200/Royal+Exclusiv+Mini+Bubble+King+200+Protein+Skimme r.html) or supermarin 200 (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ps-rebksm200/Royal+Exclusiv+Bubble+King+Super+Marine+200+Intern al+Protein+Skimmer.html) depend on your funds.
I was thinking of going that way with the ecotech pumps,
Personally I like the ecotech's design and functionality but that's where it ends. Compare to my Tunzes they are just so abnoxiously loud I just can't take it. I went with a herbie overflow just so I can keep the decibel level to a mininum(my tank is in my basement where we hang out the most)
little fish phosban reactor,
I have used 2 little fishes reactor but if you want a quality reactor, vertex (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=vt-uf15) is the way to go. very similar designs, both with screw on top that I like but tlf doesn't have the best built quailty. I also have 3 nextreef reactor which are pretty good except for the thumb screws. I just hate it.

and I am not sure if I am going to do calcium reactor or dosing yet.
This is really personal perferences. Larger system like mine, a calcium reactor is so much easier IMO then dosing, I dosed in my 210 but after a while I got sick of mixing and filling the jugs of chemicals. My theory is the simple and lazy approach, the easier the task means more chances for me to do it. I use Vertex rx6 duo (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=vt-crrx06dp) and I love it.
I was thinking of going with 10xT5 as I don't have a lot of clearance over the tank for the lights to sit above the tank, how far above the water level do most LEDs need to be?
I like T5's so 10 X T5 will be enough to grow anything at 20" but LED's are just so cool. As for clarence on LED's there is nothing set in stone, it all depends on wether or not you mind the spot light effect. You can always use lens to focus or spread.
O and I really need a good quite return internal or external any input there? My Mag is really loud
Ehiem 1262 (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/em-pun3400/Eheim+Universal+1262+Water+Pump.html) or Tunze silence pro (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/tz-wp107311/Tunze+Silence+Pro+Water+Pump+-+1073.110.html)(expensive but worth it)

Gizmoh
05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks again bblinks, I am liking the looks of the vertex equipment, as I have never used a media reactor before, can I run carbon and a phosphate absorbing media in the same reactor? Like the looks of the tunze silence pro, prob going that route, any input on if it better as an internal or external? I like the looks of the vertex calc reactor as well, are you happy with all the parts as a whole? And just curious as to why you recommend a skimmer for up to 300 gallons for a 125, just bigger is better? Or is it higher quality then there smaller ones? All and all I love the input and I almost have the equipment list done I think! Thanks again to all!

Gizmoh
05-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Oh and do you use a Kalk reactor with your ATO?

Nano
05-16-2012, 09:23 PM
If you like SPS and angels, take a look at John Coppelino's (Copps) tank.http://vimeo.com/13564370

He's been TOTM over at Reef Central and number of times, so go over there for more info on his tanks.

Yikes thats a lot of angels in a reef!! lol but beautiful.
He must keep them well fed to avoid coral and mantel nipping

Leah
05-16-2012, 09:27 PM
If adding the Midas Bennies, I would recommend adding them last.

Bblinks
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks again bblinks, I am liking the looks of the vertex equipment, as I have never used a media reactor before, can I run carbon and a phosphate absorbing media in the same reactor? Like the looks of the tunze silence pro, prob going that route, any input on if it better as an internal or external? I like the looks of the vertex calc reactor as well, are you happy with all the parts as a whole? And just curious as to why you recommend a skimmer for up to 300 gallons for a 125, just bigger is better? Or is it higher quality then there smaller ones? All and all I love the input and I almost have the equipment list done I think! Thanks again to all!

I use carbon and rowaphos together without any problems. I think the only reason people like to use them in different reactor is cause carbon is exhausted faster then phosphate removing media. So to save on rowaphos or what ever media you use, it is better to run them in different reactors. I change both of mine once a month so it's always fresh. I know it cost a bit more but it works for me. I do 4 cups of carbon and 2 cups of rowaphos.

I am glad you are gonna go with tunze pro pump, I am a big fan of large turn over rate. I have a reeflo pump for my return but its very important that you try to match your flow rate to your skimmer so it can pick up as much crap as it can and not miss any.

I love my Vertex reactor. like I said I am not the laziest person but between the kids, work, and other activities I just like to keep things simple and the reactor for me is just that. Set it and forget it. Man I sound like that informerical about the rotassary. :biggrin:

If ask anyone about skimmer rating you will get an different answer every time. IME always take half of what the manufacture recommanded size for most skimmers. Usually the rating is on a lightly stocked tank but if you have or planning to have a semi heavy stocked tank like most of us do you will need a skimmer that's rated for more.

I do use kalk stirrer from Avast marine for top off.

Glad to hear everything is coming along,

WE NEED PICTURES!!!:mrgreen:

fishytime
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
I use carbon and rowaphos together without any problems. I think the only reason people like to use them in different reactor is cause carbon is exhausted faster then phosphate removing media. So to save on rowaphos or what ever media you use, it is better to run them in different reactors. I change both of mine once a month so it's always fresh. I know it cost a bit more but it works for me. I do 4 cups of carbon and 2 cups of rowaphos.

the theory behind two different reactors with two different pumps (or one pump with a manifold) is both carbon and GFO have optimal flow rates where the product works best....for GFO its about 200-400 gph and for carbon its 400-600 gph

as for equipment and such....get the best you can afford.....the higher priced items may not perform any differently then less expensive units, but the build quality and components are usually better.....

Bblinks
05-16-2012, 11:03 PM
[quote=fishytime;717211]the theory behind two different reactors with two different pumps (or one pump with a manifold) is both carbon and GFO have optimal flow rates where the product works best....for GFO its about 200-400 gph and for carbon its 400-600 gph[quote]

Flow rate is also a good point, I think carbon will work better if the water passes through without any tumbling but rowaphos will bind together if its not getting enough flow. But for the most part even with 2 different pumps running 2 different reactor, not many of us are gonna know what the exact flow rate is. ultimately the choice is yours. It is just easier for me.:neutral:

Gizmoh
05-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Lol oh there will be pictures bblinks but I haven't quite started yet, going to get everything set and then I may do a build thread. So for equipment this is what I got picked out. Tank is 48x30x20 (125g).

Lights: 10x54w ati powermodule (I have heard this has been discontinued)
Skimmer: Vertex cone 250 or equivalent octopus I am still torn on this one.
Reactors: 2 vertex universal and one vertex calc
Powerheads: Ecotech or tunze
Return: Tunze Silence Pro
ATO: Tunze osomlator
Heaters: ?
Chiller: ? (room can get get very warm in summer) what would people recommend
Sump with separate refugium
And I like the looks of your controller system blinks can I get some info on that instead of the Neptune? (I like the touch screen)

Am I missing anything!?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Gizmoh
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Oh and a Kalk stirrer recommendations there?

Rogue951
05-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Oh and a Kalk stirrer recommendations there?

I use the TLF Kalk reactor.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=tf-rkwm300

It's powered by my ATO which is a tunze. Pretty sure it's overworking the poor little pump but when it dies I'll get the switched socket and bigger pump.

Inside the reactor is a nozzle that spins when the pump turns on so it sprays the settled kalk from the bottom up.

Works great so far.
might not want it for a tank with huge evap or it'll stir up the whole column of water.

Gizmoh
05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Alright!

Thank you rogue for the response! I took a look at that one the avast and the Geo Kalk reactors and I think I have settled on the Geo! So the only thing I still need to pick out is the heaters and chiller!

I did need a little input on my tank though. I am getting ready to order the tank and am wondering about the overflow. The tank is going to be viewable from the sides so I don't want to do dual corner overflows but I am worried just one in the center won't allow for enough flow through the sump and refuge. Are these concerns invalid or should I do dual center overflows for 2 returns and 2 drains? Again the tank will be 48x30x20, and I would like to use the Tunze silence pro for my return pump.

Bblinks
05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
For your kalk stirrer I would be leaning towards Deltec. GEO makes good calcium reactors but overpriced IMO but as for kalk reactor it utlizes a power head to mix the solution which mean you can't or shouldn't dose right after the the pump has been on. I know the deltec unit isn't the cheapest on the market... There is an alternative unit that you can get from Avast marine, it's not the best built quality but it get the job done and it will eliminate the chances of you over dose your tank with over saturated kalk solution.

I have an oceanic chiller that's in operation since 3 years ago, never any issues. If you can get away with house hold portable ac unit in the room then I would use that instead beacuse once that chiller kicks on it will cool the tank no doubt but where ever that chiller is situated, that particular room will turn into a sauna.

I think you should do a external coast to coast and use either herbie of bean animal style overflow to keep it nice and quite.

one more thing, WE WANT PICTURES!:mrgreen:

Gizmoh
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Hey blinks thanks for getting back to me! I like the sounds of coast to coast but as this tank is going to be viewable from the sides I don't want to be able to see the overflow box from the side. Does it make sense to stop it 6" short on either side and just make the tank a little deeper to accommodate the box, so it doesn't have to be external? And from my research it looks like the bean-animal overflow comes in from the back not the bottom. Can I do this style from the bottom as well? I am not well versed in overflows. I will need to a little more research but I think it would work. Coming in from the back would work too but the tank will be euro braced so I don't really want an external overflow box. I don't have anything yet for the new system so I on,y have some pictures of my current one. Now this tank has run for 3 years has been moved twice, is really loud and runs with nothing but a refugium. But here is a shot or two.

Elegance
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/Boyadjian69/3ac2d9e5.jpg

"Donut"
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/Boyadjian69/fa319e2f.jpg

FTS
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w447/Boyadjian69/031f40f5.jpg

All taken with iPhone and posted from iPad so sorry about sizing/quality. And as for Kalk reactors I take it you don't like pump mixed reactors as they mix a little to violently? To save on a little more research do you know a Canadian retailer for Deltec? And while we are on it the Profilux controller. Still on the fence with this or an Apex.

Thanks again blinks and everyone lending a helping hand!

fishytime
05-22-2012, 10:31 PM
for the price of the 10 x 54w ATI you could set yourself up with three AI sols(or the new version for a little more) and the controller and save yourself the bulb changes/ evaporation/ and power consumption:wink:

daplatapus
05-23-2012, 01:54 AM
The last I read there Gizmoh you were torn with which skimmer to go with. I'm running the SRO 2000 INT and really like it. From all the research I've done you just can't beat the bubble blaster pump that comes on the octopus skimmers.
It is just an opinion mind you, and this is my 1st skimmer and 1st SW tank so other than a ton of reading not much experience other than that... :D

Gizmoh
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
So I have been doing a little research and I think I know how I want to run the tank if it will work. I would like to use the coast to coast style overflow box ("L" shaped self) but only go from coast to center. So looking at the front of the tank it would be from left side to center. This would run the beananimal overflow. For the returns I was going to do one coming in from the back at the top right with flex loc-line for positioning and one coming in from the bottom, at back center. I was thinking of piping in 4-6 heads at the bottom of the tank facing back at the rock work. I am not sure how this back pressure would affect the flow though. For these heads all the plumbing would be in the tank under the sand bed with minimal plumbing running from back to front. I am sorry I am bad with google sketch or I would draw this up.

Any input from anyone that understands what I am saying would be wonderful!

Thanks

Gizmoh
05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks fishy and platapus for the input I am leaning towards the octopus cone skimmers to save a little bit of money as they seem to have a very good following! As for lighting with a footprint of 48x30 would I not need more then three units for full coverage? I don't really like the spotlight effect. Also how high above the tank do those pendants need to be? I have little clearance.

Thanks again!!!