PDA

View Full Version : Brs dual reactor....gfo not tumbling

Coralgurl
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I added my reactor in late April, noticed a huge improvement in algae, cleaning glass every 3 days. I cleaned the glass yesterday, got home from work today, needed to do it again. I noticed my gfo isn't tumbling, adjust the valve and it barely moved. I also noticed the connections don't seem sealed or tight going into the reactor, and there's lots of leaking. I don't think it makes sense to put plumbing tape on the connections as its probably easier to disconnect the hoses to remove the reactor. Any suggestions?

Cal_stir
05-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Are the threads leaking or the tubing?

Cal_stir
05-15-2012, 01:08 AM
If you are running the dual, are you running carbon in the other reactor?, the carbon side could be plugged.
If you are running the cobalt maxi-jet pump, check the impellar, the vanes break off.

Coralgurl
05-15-2012, 01:08 AM
The treads and connections, not the tubing.

Cal_stir
05-15-2012, 01:09 AM
You need to teflon tape the threads

subman
05-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Chrck the foams and the carbon section, if they are plugged it will cause a lpt of back pressure and strain the joints.

Coralgurl
05-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Yes there's carbon in the other chamber. I will pull it all out and make sure nothing is plugged up. I have tape as well, if that helps, will give it a try. Thanks for the help!

gregzz4
05-15-2012, 01:44 AM
I'm sure you are already aware, but, just in case ...
If you decide to change some media while you have it apart, don't do both at the same time

Coralgurl
05-15-2012, 01:52 AM
Well the carbon was a block, so I dumped it, cleaned the foam pads, refilled and everything is working again. Did not change the gfo. I run a canister filter on myl other tank so I know not to change everything at once. I still need to add tape but not sure where the bf put it and he's still at work....

Another question, how often do the pads need to be changed out?

The help is much appreciated!

subman
05-15-2012, 02:11 AM
It depends how much debris you have floating around, I check them monthly and rinse when needed.

Coralgurl
05-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Well it didn't even make it a month, lol. Not sure if I had too much in there.

1eyedjyde
05-15-2012, 04:14 AM
I find I have to stir the gfo about once a week and as far as the leaking connectors go you have to seat them push them in firmly and give them a tug back. I ended up running fresh water through it in a sink until seated. They should completely seal as the same style fittings are used on commercial air brake systems.