PDA

View Full Version : Question about AquaController Apex Lite

Midway
05-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm trying to find out if I could reach this controller wirelessly. If possible what kind of wireless device do I need in order to see my Apex controller. would some of those USB wireless adapters work?

Thanks for your inputs.

Slider777
05-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Hey, I have the Apex Lite and you can reach it wirelessly with a USB wireless adapter. I have mine attached to a netgear wireless gaming adapter, I can't remember the exact model but if you'd like I can get that for you. It's great to be able to view everything wirelessly from your tank, especially useful to check in on things when you're away.

Midway
05-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Hey thanks for the reply. So you have the gaming adapter and on top of that you have a USB wireless adapter? So you need both, the gaming adapter and the USB adapter too?

Slider777
05-15-2012, 04:12 AM
The gaming adapter is my wireless adapter; it was a little confusing the way I worded that, sorry. The way I understand it is that a wireless adapter is bigger and can connect multiple devices to the home network, whereas the gameing adapter is smaller and only allows for one devices to connect, primarily gaming consoles. Anyways here's what I use, http://www.netgear.com/landing/wnce2001.aspx I just connected the ethernet jack from the apex lite to the device, followed the simple setup from Netgear and had it all running in under 15mins. Plus it's nice and small so it's easily concealed, a plus in my book.

Hope that helps.

Midway
05-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks very much for your help!! i will give this a shot.

Slider777
05-15-2012, 12:07 PM
No problem, if you have anymore questions just give me a shout.

cwatkins
05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Please keep in mind that any firmware updates MUST be done via a hard wired ethernet cable. If it's on wi-fi and the connection drops, etc, then you could potentially toast your Apex. (Which means you'll need to use the bootloader to try to re-load the firmware from scratch, etc).

Slider777
05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Please keep in mind that any firmware updates MUST be done via a hard wired ethernet cable. If it's on wi-fi and the connection drops, etc, then you could potentially toast your Apex. (Which means you'll need to use the bootloader to try to re-load the firmware from scratch, etc).

Ya that's a good point. I just disconnect my apex from everything and bring the head unit to my router when it's update time.

Midway
05-17-2012, 06:01 AM
hey Slider, I've decided to go with a wire connection instead of a wireless. I'm having a hard time to setup the email notification on the server. I even contacted my internet provider and this guy was clueless of I was trying to do here. Did you setup the email notification with no problems? I can't make it work don't know why.

Aquattro
05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I forget the reasoning, but you probably need to set up a gmx.com email address and forward that to your regular email. Have you got the unofficial Apex User Manual? It's detailed in there.

Aquattro
05-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Configure e-mail Email can be one of the most frustrating pieces to setup. Most of the issues come from having the wrong port, userid or password declared. In addition, some of the biggest email services (Gmail, MSN, Hotmail for example) won't work with the Apex because they require SSL (Secure Socket Layers) which the Apex doesn't support. Try it first with your ISP‟s email server and your account information. More often than not, that will work. If it doesn‟t work, it could be the port or SSL (see below). One email service that is free and doesn‟t require SSL is GMX (www.gmx.com) and you can use their email server to send email directly to your SSL email account like Gmail or Hotmail. You have to first establish your GMX account and get an email address. You will use this to access the GMX SMTP server. Configure your email in the Apex as below using your GMX email address as the “From” address. Note that the following configuration options are for GMX. If you are using another email service, your options will be similar but may not be identical. For example, with AT&T you need to „disable‟ email authentication. Most email services have instructions for configuring their service to work with Microsoft Outlook. You can look to that for specifics on server name, port, etc.

Slider777
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I forget the reasoning, but you probably need to set up a gmx.com email address and forward that to your regular email. Have you got the unofficial Apex User Manual? It's detailed in there. +1

Apex email is a bit of a pain, but following the steps outlined in the unofficial guide definitely helps. Aquattro posted the exert for setting up your email but here is the link to download the entire unofficial guide http://reeftech.webs.com/ It explains everything far more clearly then the guide that comes with the Apex, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Midway
05-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks very much for your help guys. yep I went ahead and opened an account with GMX and it worked !!!!

Thanks very much again.

Midway
05-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Guys, another question I got on this one is; do you guys setup the controller to access it from the internet? what application did you end up using?

Slider777
05-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Ya I access mine remotely from my iPhone. You dont need any application, you just need to configure your router to allow access from the Internet. They detail how to set the apex up for remote connections in the guide I posted above.