PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on mini Brittlestars

Nano
05-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Recently acquired about 6 the size of a quarter hiding in a frag I purchased I noticed when I dumped them in to my acclimating tup, the reason I am posting is cause I see mixed feelings/opinions on these guys, and currently have them "Sumped".

I personally would like to toss 2-3 in the DT for detritus duty, and leave the others in the sump for the same purpose. I have read they are great detritus eaters, and also help aerate the sand bed in a more naturally delicate fashion. I have never noticed brittlestars in any one my tanks, but figured I would risk them in the sump for now until I find out more on them.

Any knowledge/opinions (good or bad) swing them my way please

Thanks all:wink:

Flash
05-14-2012, 10:06 PM
i have them in all my tanks! no problems!

Borderjumper
05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a ton of them too hidden in the rocks and under my corals.. I've never seen one in the sanded tho.

ScubaSteve
05-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I love feed my tank because the rocks come alive with millions of little arms sticking out trying to grab food. Brittle stars are awesome!

Nano
05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
I didnt think there was anything bad about them, but heard a few places that they can irritate corals?

DCDN
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I went looking to get them in my tank

Nano
05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Me too, but its going to be a pain to get them into the dt from the sump :lol: oh well, I guess I'll have to go star shopping eventually unless anyone has some in the area I would love a few for the over flow and rock work

Coasting
05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a ton of these little things, want some? Think theyd survive canada post?
I wouldn't say their bad, but I do find that depending where your coral is, and where their rotten little arms are sticking out from, they can irritate coral, but only because their touching the coral when they stick their arms out, not because their trying to eat it. I had to plug a few holes in the rock behind my zoas with epoxy to keep them from coming out of those holes and ****ing off the zoas.

whatcaneyedo
05-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I've had them for at least 5 years with no problems. They reproduce well, stay small, do an excellent job of scavenging and provide my ornate wrasse with a steady supply of live food. I've never heard of them irritating coral until now but I guess people will always make outrageous conflicting claims on the internet.

Nano
05-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I have a ton of these little things, want some? Think theyd survive canada post?
I wouldn't say their bad, but I do find that depending where your coral is, and where their rotten little arms are sticking out from, they can irritate coral, but only because their touching the coral when they stick their arms out, not because their trying to eat it. I had to plug a few holes in the rock behind my zoas with epoxy to keep them from coming out of those holes and ****ing off the zoas.
yes this is my main concern, as my zoa collection is constantly growing 23 types and one on the way :P

Cal_stir
05-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I've never seen them irritate anything, I have thousands of them in my tanks, I have so many that sometimes when I clean my socks I cull a batch.
I find it hard to believe you don't have some in your tank already.
They are a healthy part of the ecosystem, their food is something elses poop.

Nano
05-14-2012, 10:32 PM
I've never seen them irritate anything, I have thousands of them in my tanks, I have so many that sometimes when I clean my socks I cull a batch.
I find it hard to believe you don't have some in your tank already.
They are a healthy part of the ecosystem, their food is something elses poop.
well I have lots in the sump, but the DT is all dry rock, so I doubt if any have made their way up there, I would love to find a little bag of pods, brittle stars, and other life forms for up in the DT, the pods make it up from the fuge but I haven't seen any of the bristle worms or amphipods(not that I want those buggers up there)