PDA

View Full Version : mobil home with tank?

mytank90
05-14-2012, 09:57 PM
hello i am looking to get a mobil home and wondering if anyone has a large tank<180gallon tank> in one and if the floors will hold up to the weight ?tank will run across the joist

ashr
05-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Could you get under the home and build a stronger support?

Ross
05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
No experience with Mobile homes here, but I imagine that reinforcing one would be a breeze since they are open below.

I'd be concerned about the temperature swings in one however.
Might need a big heater and a big chiller perhaps.

ashr
05-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Do you know what your average temp in the summer, fall and winter is?

axe_man16
05-14-2012, 11:30 PM
If you are doing a custom mobile home you should be able to get the builders to include the weight of the tank into their load calculations. Each gallon of water is equal to 8.3 lbs. So a large tank plus sump etc will be fairly heavy. They should be able to just double up the floor joists in the area where the tank is going.

NU-2reef
05-14-2012, 11:47 PM
How would you keep the water from spilling out? I have enough trouble driving around a 5 gal bucket 3/4 full without spilling at least a little( no lid of course).
Am I just over thinking it?

Nano
05-14-2012, 11:57 PM
I think by Mobil home he means stationary trailer :)

Doug
05-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Wholley crap.....temperature swings..to cold or hot. Mobile/modular homes are not a shed out in the back...:lol:

Built same as a house, except for basement. Been in mine for 6yrs now and a new one awaits in Kamloops.

Anyways on to his question. I had a 90 for awhile. They have similar floor joists as a house, plus two large steel beams running length wise. I would still check with the builder or as someone mentioned have something professionally installed for a tank as large as a 180.

But then most do that under their floor for basement houses also. One good thing, again as mentioned, you can get under them and easily build a cribbing support to the ground.

Some like mine, have the 3/8th gyprock flex walls and are fully supported by cribs under the beams. Others, such as our new one, have regular 1/2in gyprock and require cement pillars under the beams.

So guess it depends on which type your purchasing, used or new?

Ours heats the exact same as a house. And air conditioning keeps it cool in the summer, same as a house and all at a cheaper price, depending on size. They come now in every size imaginable. I have seen 2500 sq. ft. homes to 800 or 900sq ft. Ours is 1216 sq ft.

The new place is a bit smaller at 1060 sq ft though. But my tank is only a 35g cube type

ElGuappo
05-15-2012, 12:15 AM
I think the pc term these days is manufactured home. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Doug
05-15-2012, 12:17 AM
I think by Mobil home he means stationary trailer :)

Actually not so far fetched. :lol: When we had our 5th wheel and looking for a motor home to retire and full time in, {which we have since given up on}, I had planned for a 20g type reef tank in there.

I was thinking of something with a hood, like the JBJ tanks. Not sure how that would have worked though. :lol:

Nano
05-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Actually not so far fetched. :lol: When we had our 5th wheel and looking for a motor home to retire and full time in, {which we have since given up on}, I had planned for a 20g type reef tank in there.

I was thinking of something with a hood, like the JBJ tanks. Not sure how that would have worked though. :lol:

sploosh!:lol:

Doug
05-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Dont need a wavemaker.....:D

banditpowdercoat
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I have a 150 in mine. 210 total water. Had to relevel that end of the house couple times at the beginning, but it's good now. Yes, Humidity can be an issue in a trailer. They seem to not breathe as well as a house, and the small space. I keep a fan on a humidistat down the hallway. The LED lights really helped tho.

Doug
05-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Good point on humidity Dan. I forgot that one. They are well sealed, so like most other similar places need good ventilation, esp. for larger tanks. Mine has whole house vent system but the best would be the same as a house, if ones having a unit built. An HRV.

I ran my dehumidifier sometimes in the winter when I had a larger tank. Not a big fan of dehumidifier,s though. Guess they help somewhat

Ross
05-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Wholley crap.....temperature swings..to cold or hot. Mobile/modular homes are not a shed out in the back...:lol:

My sister in law owned a mobile home when she was attending college. It was an older model that was made in the early 80's and she complained that the furnace was always on in the winter and the AC was always on in the summer.

Just stay away from any that look like this...
http://www.drbukk.com/img/cms/mobile_homes/tilt.jpg